Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Gannet / 819 Sqdn

Hi navy daughter.
Apologies. Exhausted all the options I had with no bells being rung, and your dad’s tenure is well before my time.
Hopefully somebody of that vintage can help out.
All the best.

Only ever went there on Detachment, seemed to be a good little number mind you.

Did get the only bollocking of my career that still sticks in my mind though :) "Don't borrow an Angry Chiefs Tractor, even if you've been told you can!!!".

Best job in the FAA. And a very well kept secret. ‘Til they f@cked it over as always.
Stil remember the CO’s ( a v stormy Jock) mass bollocking at clear lower deck.... well more clear the pan really. However, best mass debrief I ever heard.

Did both. Yes I’d agree. Gannet had the added benefits of no crabs. Few Krauts on exchange, however no light blue. And the Canberra was a joy.

True, 360 was definitely different, however most of the crabs were basically matelots that joined the wrong force :) Still keep in touch with a lot of the unlike the cocks at Cott/Witt.

I had 2 stints in Gannet. 81 to 83 on 819 and 86 to 88 when 824 was deported North.
On my first night in the transit mess on stint 1, I met some madman called....(best not mention it!) who suggested we go into Prestwick for a quick one and he knew a shortcut...which was across the runway. We had to hit the deck when a 707 landed 20 yards in front of us.
10 pints later in the Golf/Red Lion/Some Hotel near the sea, we waded back through some swamp in the middle of the night, ruining my newly bought New Romantic gear!
I believe The Madman went on to join the Royal Ulster Constabulary in the hope of shooting someone.
Managed to acquire a local wife as well, somewhere along the way...it was an interesting draft.
My accomodation was a derelict portacabin opposite the civvie NAAFI ladies derelict portabin, a short wander from the bar with the aforementioned curtain/serving hatch. Loved that draft!!

I had 2 stints in Gannet. 81 to 83 on 819 and 86 to 88 when 824 was deported North.
On my first night in the transit mess on stint 1, I met some madman called....(best not mention it!) who suggested we go into Prestwick for a quick one and he knew a shortcut...which was across the runway. We had to hit the deck when a 707 landed 20 yards in front of us.
10 pints later in the Golf/Red Lion/Some Hotel near the sea, we waded back through some swamp in the middle of the night, ruining my newly bought New Romantic gear!
I believe The Madman went on to join the Royal Ulster Constabulary in the hope of shooting someone.
Managed to acquire a local wife as well, somewhere along the way...it was an interesting draft.
My accomodation was a derelict portacabin opposite the civvie NAAFI ladies derelict portabin, a short wander from the bar with the aforementioned curtain/serving hatch. Loved that draft!!
We wuz there the same time. 81 - 85 the 88 - 90. The later end myself and a 2&½ formed the SAR flight proper. 15 minutes notice - sleep on board the works!!!
Few faces from first stint!! (Ex Bold Game - Norway)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a33.jpg

Latest Threads