HMS Gannet / 819 Sqdn

oberon

Lantern Swinger
Waspie said:
oberon said:
Waspie said:
oberon said:
chockhead819 said:
First introduction to the Gannet Drinking Club at Gannet was Mutley, Jamie Jameson, Larry Kenny, Tucker Simm, Archie Oakton & Rab Simpson.

Gannet when the all day drinking started before england,
Burns Tavern
Rabbies
D&G
Golf
Red Lion
Rabbies
Pavillion

The Chockheads on tractors, were 24 on 48 off, Best thing the SMR Dave Knott ever did for me.
Even when you got secured early the only place with a phone was the bar as we were still in the Missen Huts. Worked our own routine over chrimbo, supposed to be 24 about, we did a straight week & extra week off. No one gave a toss.

I heard a PO Chockhead got a bollocking & told he was at Gannet not Culdrose.

Even the officers were spot on, can't remember a bad one.

Only one bad officer a Canadian Captain who thought the ACRB was his personnal cafe!
Ed Pushka. canadian tosser extraoidinaire!!! Always found as said in the vicinity of the ACRB or Ops. (Cos thats where the Wrens were!!!)
Bingo!! Even if he wasn't flying he would try to get feed! Remember giving him some stew with laxative in it to see if that would keep him away but it didn't!
I hope it was just his you laced!!!

I used to get dicked to fly with him quite frequently.

Remember him and the incident with the wren and the ops room table. 8O
lol it was just his I laced. got on Ok with the rest of the fly boys! The ACRB Officer was a "Digs" Nelson. Young Subbie or Lt drove a MGB GT.

Remember one of the PO WRNS very well!

Waspie

War Hero
Digs would have been a subbie, When I first got there he was a Midshipman pilot. Great bloke. I was teamed up with him and Paul Southern the CO of 819, as I was a baby pinger.

Digs burnt his eyebrows completely off at a Tarranto night do. (The one they blew all the windows out of the wardroom!!!) Although I think Digs hair loss was more to do with lighting his brandy rather than exploding displays.

He later went on to be CO of 829 where he inverted a Wasp and managed to get all the warning lights illuminated. Never before managed. He still recovered from being nearly upside down to land back at Portland white as a sheet.

fredtubb

Lantern Swinger
Dont suppose any of you mad twats were with 819 at Ballykelly around 68 - 69. Do you remember Les Paxston and his wife sally, Lt/Cdr Vietch was CO.
Or 737 at Portland around 75 - 76.

scouse

War Hero
fredtubb said:
Dont suppose any of you mad twats were with 819 at Ballykelly around 68 - 69. Do you remember Les Paxston and his wife sally, Lt/Cdr Vietch was CO.
Last Sqdn 737 at HMS Osprey,74 :wink: Approved lodgings :D :D :D :D had a few jollys on RFA Engadine

Waspie

War Hero
scouse said:
fredtubb said:
Last Sqdn 737 at HMS Osprey,74 :wink: Approved lodgings :D :D :D :D had a few jollys on RFA Engadine
73 Effin 7!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Fleet Penal Squadron!!!!!!!

Hated it. (Liked playing with the Paloustes though!!!!! :wink: ).

fredtubb

Lantern Swinger
You lot and your Parafin Budgie,s, with them bloody AVPIN (Isopropyl Nitrate) starters. Always frighting the life out of us inocents on the fire station. lol lol

pah

Was at Prestwick 72-76, came down from Lossie when it handed over to crabs, reading the posts one said Digby-Worsley passed away, he couldn't have been very old. I remember Sandy, Tiny and many others. Good times. Is the Wheatshief still there.

Hi Fellow 819rs my Identity is Henry McCullough AKA Bubbly Rat and have just joined your little club...
I served on 819 Sqn at Ballykelly on two occassions during my time in the Mob ( as an Aircraft Handler
on Fire-crew duties) The first time was just after completing my Aircraft Handler training at Culdrose
from Sept 1965 untill Dec 1965...when I was drafted to 892 Sqn at Yeovilton an ( HERMES) during deployment
at sea....I was drafted from 892 Sqn back to 819 Sqn in Oct 1967 untill Dec 1969 when I was drafted to HMS EAGLE
as ships company ( Flight Deck Party)...I have to say that my time on 819 Sqn were among the happiest during
my naval service where I made some great friends like :- John Timothy, Dan Archer, Herbie Cornwell our
Regulator, Duncan MaCdonald Aircraft Handler, Jon Vitti S.E. Danny Jenkens A.E. Alan MacGregor
Aircraft Handler and Scouse Ellis to name but a few...I

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
Gannet. Home of the tardis. Lwrn(RP) who was allegedly bigger on the inside than the outside.!!!

I'll get my coat. Or is that a Burberry ?

wee eck

Had two stints at Gannet on 819 in the 70s.Met and married my wife there,Sue Vint.Worked with some great people.Rab Hunter Kenny Buchan Maggie Hunter Sean Skeffington Dave Munro Stan Dove and many more

Hello, bit of a long shot but trying to help dad find old shipmates from 819. He served 1968-1991 and his name is Alec/Alexander Mackenzie. Can anyone help?