Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Gannet / 819 Sqdn

You'd all better come to Melbourne and get tea-bagged: last Saturday's bunch of victims having their final photo before Itook them wet winching :wink:

web.jpg

and the new ride (with someone else paying the bills at last :D )

web.jpg

I only told them that it was my first wet winching sortie for 23 years years after we landed :wink:

sailorbhoy67 said:
Waspie said:
chockhead819 said:
well you wanted to be a dope on a rope Doug :lol:

737 Fleet Penal squadron was pre winch weight me old mate.

I started an escape commitee and got hauled in front of the AEO for my sins, a Lt. 'No humour' Langley.

But I stand by my post, 819/Gannet best draft in the mob.

I am with you on that one next to field gun this was the best place to be the night life was good ,glasgow 45 minutes away plus the hardened drinking culture would not be tolerated in todays RN.

Was there a 'drink culture'. :wink: :lol: :lol: You know I never noticed.

That'll be 3 pints of heavy please!!! :eek:ccasion5:

I don't think I ever made it past the Monkton Arms most nights!!!!!

Waspie said:
sailorbhoy67 said:
Waspie said:
chockhead819 said:
well you wanted to be a dope on a rope Doug :lol:

737 Fleet Penal squadron was pre winch weight me old mate.

I started an escape commitee and got hauled in front of the AEO for my sins, a Lt. 'No humour' Langley.

But I stand by my post, 819/Gannet best draft in the mob.

I am with you on that one next to field gun this was the best place to be the night life was good ,glasgow 45 minutes away plus the hardened drinking culture would not be tolerated in todays RN.

Was there a 'drink culture'. :wink: :lol: :lol: You know I never noticed.

That'll be 3 pints of heavy please!!! :eek:ccasion5:

I don't think I ever made it past the Monkton Arms most nights!!!!!

It always amused me when RN used to send a sailor with a drink problem to Gannet it was like sending him to carry out community service in a brewery. :D

First introduction to the Gannet Drinking Club at Gannet was Mutley, Jamie Jameson, Larry Kenny, Tucker Simm, Archie Oakton & Rab Simpson.

Gannet when the all day drinking started before england,
Burns Tavern
Rabbies
D&G
Golf
Red Lion
Rabbies
Pavillion

The Chockheads on tractors, were 24 on 48 off, Best thing the SMR Dave Knott ever did for me.
Even when you got secured early the only place with a phone was the bar as we were still in the Missen Huts. Worked our own routine over chrimbo, supposed to be 24 about, we did a straight week & extra week off. No one gave a toss.

I heard a PO Chockhead got a bollocking & told he was at Gannet not Culdrose.

Even the officers were spot on, can't remember a bad one.

Anyone remember 819 when it was based at Ballykelly, I was on the Ark in 1965, when they joined us in Scotland after an eventful crossing from Northern Ireland on the ferry with a load of Irish Celtic supporters.
I believe the police were involved.

chockhead819 said:
First introduction to the Gannet Drinking Club at Gannet was Mutley, Jamie Jameson, Larry Kenny, Tucker Simm, Archie Oakton & Rab Simpson.

Burns Tavern
Rabbies
D&G
Golf
Red Lion
Rabbies
Pavillion

The Chockheads on tractors, were 24 on 48 off, Best thing the SMR Dave Knott ever did for me.
Even when you got secured early the only place with a phone was the bar as we were still in the Missen Huts. Worked our own routine over chrimbo, supposed to be 24 about, we did a straight week & extra week off. No one gave a toss.

Only one bad officer a Canadian Captain who thought the ACRB was his personnal cafe!

oberon said:
chockhead819 said:

Burns Tavern
Rabbies
D&G
Golf
Red Lion
Rabbies
Pavillion

Only one bad officer a Canadian Captain who thought the ACRB was his personnal cafe!

Ed Pushka. canadian tosser extraoidinaire!!! Always found as said in the vicinity of the ACRB or Ops. (Cos thats where the Wrens were!!!)

My favourite bad occifer. Lt Prince. Circa 82-85. Only knew him as Lt. Prince cos Lt. Prince only wanted to be known as Lt. Prince. Finished a night sortie at 0400 one morning. We were still de-briefing at 0819 when the rest of the squadron came in for shareholders!!!!! He babbled on about every circuit breaker that was pulled pushed or missed. To the size of gulls flying in close proximity to us!!!! Yawwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Martin Lanni (and the rest of the crew) also were well represented at the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators Awards dinner last October.

Where he tried very hard to chat up my missus, the pair of us being about the same age as his parents :roll:

Old habits die hard in 819, obviously!

Waspie said:
oberon said:
chockhead819 said:

Burns Tavern
Rabbies
D&G
Golf
Red Lion
Rabbies
Pavillion

Ed Pushka. canadian tosser extraoidinaire!!! Always found as said in the vicinity of the ACRB or Ops. (Cos thats where the Wrens were!!!)

Bingo!! Even if he wasn't flying he would try to get feed! Remember giving him some stew with laxative in it to see if that would keep him away but it didn't!

oberon said:
Waspie said:
oberon said:
chockhead819 said:

Burns Tavern
Rabbies
D&G
Golf
Red Lion
Rabbies
Pavillion

Bingo!! Even if he wasn't flying he would try to get feed! Remember giving him some stew with laxative in it to see if that would keep him away but it didn't!

I hope it was just his you laced!!!

I used to get dicked to fly with him quite frequently.

Remember him and the incident with the wren and the ops room table. 8O

"Remember him and the incident with the wren and the ops room table"

How many times did such "incidents" happen on the Ops Room table, I know of 1 POwren, 2 L/Hs wrens & 6 wrens. That was in the 4 years I was there. One was a certain Aircrewman but not you Doug, you wouldn't have been able to get up there :)

chockhead819 said:
"Remember him and the incident with the wren and the ops room table"

How many times did such "incidents" happen on the Ops Room table, I know of 1 POwren, 2 L/Hs wrens & 6 wrens. That was in the 4 years I was there. One was a certain Aircrewman but not you Doug, you wouldn't have been able to get up there :)

The POWren WAS Ed Pushkar. Don't know about the others. :roll: seriously. And your right about me. I could only manage to see over the top of the table never mind get a wren up there too. :lol: :lol:

Latest Threads