HMS GANGES - Still serving

Hi,
Just curious, is there anybody who is still serving (Apart from me) that joined Ganges for the full 12 months.
I joined in Nov 72 (40 recruitment) the penultimate recruitment before they went to 6 week wonders?
When I leave in Dec 17, I will have completed 45 years. I'm pretty sure that makes me a really sad old bugger.

Sumo

War Hero
:p:Ddon't know about sad but kin old, 6 week wonder boy 74 left 98 job done.
age wise you will be older than me but if you are leaving at 60 younger than @WreckerL he's old:D:p

Sumo

War Hero
Old(er) but on full pensh and no medical disabilities, how are your knees @Sumo ;)
I am sat down so OK, left Ankle and thumbs are giving me more gip at the mo, weight still coming off, once the surgeons think I an a viable case, if the NHS lasts that long I will become metal man, when I cross the bar I will be scrapped, bit like Steve Austin, young and skin again? :rolleyes: hearing aids are slowly becoming more useful, been told it could take 6 months for brain to adapt to new sound inputs, and what is and is not relevant?

Hi,
Just curious, is there anybody who is still serving (Apart from me) that joined Ganges for the full 12 months.
I joined in Nov 72 (40 recruitment) the penultimate recruitment before they went to 6 week wonders?
When I leave in Dec 17, I will have completed 45 years. I'm pretty sure that makes me a really sad old bugger.
I was an instructor there in '72' though it's unlikely I contributed to your current status as said silly old bugger...:)

Well it looks as though I'm the last serving Matelot that went to HMS Ganges, which is a shame. The reason I posted is a friend of mine is popping down to Harwich and he wants to go and see the museum at shotley (Ganges). When he asked how many were still serving I really had no idea. I did attend a Ganges reunion at Cardiff when HMY visited (97) and I was the Bosun on there then. We also had about eight other Ganges Boys on there as well which went down well with the guests. excellent run.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Social & Reunions 2
A History 4
soleil Bases / Shore Est 0