Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS GANGES photographs

Eagle Mess, September 1962

EagleMess.jpg

Roll call:

Back row:

Hazelwood, Dixon, Petch, Reeves, Walker, Eaton, Jefferies, Shiply, Davies, Stirling, Ryan, Sharpe, Yorwerth, Hooper.

Centre row;

Buckman, Windsor, Pearce, Mullen, Ford, Price, Lee, Stuart, Parsons, Niblock, White, Downey

Front Row:

Griffin, Hitchcock, Denyer, Parker, Lt Cmdr Conway, CPO Mellow, J/I Gregory, Burton, Williams, Breeze, Fitt.

Hawke 273 Class, 1962/3

Hawke273Class.jpg

Roll call:

Back row:

‘Fishy’ SHARP, Charlie WALKER, SCOTT, Dave PETCH, SOMERVILLE, blank, John BRADLEY

Centre row:

‘Tanzi’ LEE, GRIFFITHS, blank, ‘Dozy’ MELIA, Pete BACK, ROOTE

Front row:

Ernie HARRISON, DEAN, ‘wee George’ BRETT, blank, RS Bradford, Ian SLEE, HUBBARD, BLACKMAN

Tanzi said:

EagleMess.jpg

Roll call:

Back row:

Hazelwood, Dixon, Petch, Reeves, Walker, Eaton, Jefferies, Shiply, Davies, Stirling, Ryan, Sharpe, Yorwerth, Hooper.

Centre row;

Buckman, Windsor, Pearce, Mullen, Ford, Price, Lee, Stuart, Parsons, Niblock, White, Downey

Front Row:

Griffin, Hitchcock, Denyer, Parker, Lt Cmdr Conway, CPO Mellow, J/I Gregory, Burton, Williams, Breeze, Fitt.

Your JI reminds me of Nutty! :lol:

Tanzi said:
Hawke 273 Class, 1962/3

Hawke273Class.jpg

Roll call:

Back row:

‘Fishy’ SHARP, Charlie WALKER, SCOTT, Dave PETCH, SOMERVILLE, blank, John BRADLEY

Centre row:

‘Tanzi’ LEE, GRIFFITHS, blank, ‘Dozy’ MELIA, Pete BACK, ROOTE

Front row:

Ernie HARRISON, DEAN, ‘wee George’ BRETT, blank, RS Bradford, Ian SLEE, HUBBARD, BLACKMAN

Tanzi, you look a bit like HarryBosch (oppo of the philosopher Wittgenstein) :)

Blackman wasn't related to his namesake, a JRO back in 1959, who had MASSIVE feet? o_O

I remember those haircuts :shock: - Shotley did the same to me in April/May 62 !!

Don't know why he used an electrickery razor - he took more by pulling it out by the roots (at least it felt like it !!!)

:)

whitemouse said:
I remember those haircuts :shock: - Shotley did the same to me in April/May 62 !!

Don't know why he used an electrickery razor - he took more by pulling it out by the roots (at least it felt like it !!!)

:)

WM, one of my work colleagues - ex Pongo - wears his hair Shotley Style TODAY! :biggrin: When I asked him a while back if he had any sailor in him, he insisted he was from a long line of landlubbers. :lol:

Thingy, JI Gregory was small but when 'Tank' Hazelwood tried to take him on he kicked him right in the nuts ! Thereby establishing his authority for the rest of the six weeks.

Dozy Melia came from the Isle of Man and started every day wrapped in a blanket having a 'cough and a drag', hence the nickname.

George Brett (and one other) came from the TS Arethusa so had a head start on the rest of us.

CPO 'Perky' Mellow was a perfect in his role of looking after boys straight from school and in many cases first time away from home. Fair, firm and fatherly in just the right proportions.

At the other extreme Bradford, my instructor in the main, was a malevolent, malignant little git. I carried the bruises from his boot for a long time and the memory of his sadism forever. Would love to meet him again and discuss his philosophy of teaching 15 year old boys who had no defence against his physical abuse.

Don't know about Harry Bosch (or Wittgenstein), must be a hair thing.

thingy said:
Tanzi said:

EagleMess.jpg

Roll call:

Back row:

Centre row;

Front Row:

Your JI reminds me of Nutty! :lol:

Not me young Steve, I was three or four weeks off passing out and being drafted to HMS Dryad when that was taken. Never even made Class Leader let along Junior Instructor.

Here is my Picture of the two classes put together. I am seven from the left front row. Jacque La Douste is first on left centre row.

Drake39Mess1061.jpg

Nutty

Old_Hand

Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:32 pm Post subject: HMS Ganges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just been looking through Youtube and found two short films about Ganges. One is in black & white so obviously filmed sometime ago and the other was filmed in Feb 2008 and showing its derelict state. Thought it might be of interest to old Ganges boys. Sorry if this is old news. If interested go to Youtube and type in HMS Ganges.

Sorry about the above format but have just cut and pasted fm another thread where I should not have put it because it upsets people?.

Ganges 1959 bunting tossers. I'm back row far right. Oppo fecked up my light-reading so ended up a gunner. I actually worked in Gib comcen when I was at Rooke as my speeds were a deal faster than most and I even did a couple of watches on HMS Soberton. Now a radio ham so it's ingrained. Hope the pic expands or it's baqck to the drawing board

gange271.jpg

Hi Tanzi (Alan?), Re your Hawke 273 photo, the missing names are: 2nd right back row, Joe Ware, 3rd left centre row, me Wayne Clayton. Also ROOTE is Bernie Roome and HUBBARD is Hubball. I remember you, because you are from Croxley Green and I am from Watford.

Re your comments about Bradford, how accurate, a nasty, spiteful little bully who made the lives of many extremely miserable.

Best Wishes,

Wayne

Latest Threads