HMS Ganges... beware ye who enter here

If you could have your time again, would you want to redo your training at Ganges?

• Total voters
It's very interesting that of those who have replied so far, the majority would have done their time again (or at least say they would - little do they know... :wink: ...I'll just get the Mast relocated to my back garden and restored and...). Several years ago I carried out some preliminary research into experiences at Ganges amongst Trogs who were members of RNA Uxbridge. The results were most unexpected - well for me they were, anyway. The consensus was that those who had trained there, whilst they have endured privations and suffered hardships, none of the respondents felt that the treatment they received was fundamantally unfair. I had a few comments about bullying - by other boys, but that was it, and most said they would have done it again.

Or course it's possible that all Trogs are sadomasochists! :twisted: :lol:

Did my intro to Pusser at HMS Raleigh in ' 52 . Rather than do the two as a pongo I signed on the dotted line for a dozen , best thing I ever did and I regret not staying in for the full time . Heard so much about HMS Ganges though and it sounded very good for developing 'real sailors ' but as much as I hate to admit it I suspect it would have been too much for me . Sad to see such an establishment close as it was so full of history and meant so much to so many. I would like to see the mast and museum moved to the safety of HMS Raleigh though to ensure its upkeep and maintenance.

cuts were strokes of the cane on the backside..ouch!
i joined in 65 ...remember it being tough but we had a lot of good times..
great music in that year to keep us going i.e. ca't get no satisfaction!
that applied alright.

and for those of you who served at ganges... and who have't joined the association... go on..nothing to lose and you'll find a lot of old shipmates there!!

hobbit said:
Did my intro to Pusser at HMS Raleigh in ' 52 . Rather than do the two as a pongo I signed on the dotted line for a dozen , best thing I ever did and I regret not staying in for the full time . Heard so much about HMS Ganges though and it sounded very good for developing 'real sailors ' but as much as I hate to admit it I suspect it would have been too much for me . Sad to see such an establishment close as it was so full of history and meant so much to so many. I would like to see the mast and museum moved to the safety of HMS Raleigh though to ensure its upkeep and maintenance.
Well from what I read and heard I don't really think I'd have lasted 24 hours. I would certainly have been one of those crying at the bottom of the Mast as I was terrified of hights at 15. That said Nutty has pointed out that he got the opportunity to sail every evening - I'd have loved that, sheer bliss - and not having to pay for the priviledge too! :) :) :)

Now that I've completely abandoned my dissertation on what I thought were all the crimes against the inmates going on (though there is still some scope for, say, a paper) perhaps what is needed is a new book called "HMS Ganges as a Happy Ship".

joined in '63 Dreadnought in the Annexe and Duncan in main camp
did 12 years still. Would do it all again but possibly without the Ganges experience not good for a 15 year old never been away from home before

Went swimming at Vincent before colling-grad got its pool, and sailing if my memory is not totally shot
Ah yes, the water correction facility as it was called in my day, swimming endlessly round and round, encouraged by PTIs with cattle prods, they said it would help the lash scars heal, it was so tough there, I sometimes considered climbing to the top of the mast a tossing myself off

I joined up in 1968,three years after my brother, he hated it I was one off the sad ones that loved it, even the kit musters on the mast!

As a matter of interest how many of you did your 22 and beyond not many I suspect therefore you look back with nostalgia, fcuking hated the place and made certain I never treated any of my guys the same as the youngsters were treated there. Sadists most of them and that's from a 15 year old who was in a council care home before he joined, streetwise to fcuk and kept my head down.

Joined Ganges Feb '61...........went through the same as everyone else.
As a killick in '69 I went back as ships company.....firkin' ace draft.....got the same leave as the trogs....3 wks a term... every weekend off....took advantage of the schoolie facilities and got myself a fistful of GCE 'O' levels.....could even 'walk' along the quarterdeck..... even had an 'ace' boss.....Ted Briggs (RIP)

Last edited:
First time ever looking at any RN sights. Saw your message. I joined Ganges 30th June 1955 also as a boy telegraphist. the reason i remember the date is that it was my 15th birthday, We got shipped out to Suez in October 1956 cutting short our training by a couple of months. Maybe we boxed each other in the Shotley annexe!

Shotly Jan 7 1967 , 4 weeks in the annex, 11months in the main establishment,left the RN after 26 years, as C.C.MEA(P) and you could tell Ganges trained men a mile off, Regrets not a bit.Sorry for the lad in my class that drank a pint of pussers disinfectant (The black stuff that turned white when you added water) I believe he got his Discharge. All thanks to my Instructor CMEM LUCKENS .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jack-The-Lad Bases / Shore Est 15
G Social & Reunions 2
A History 4