Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS G****S

Re: HMS G****S --- The Mast

For all ex trogs, the Mast - one of my first fears !!, and allegedly a Listed item, appears to be being allowed to decay by those who should be maintaining it.

There is a press cutting in the Notice board at :

www.hmsgangesassoc.org

W M

Neither the Local Council nor the builder/developers want the mast nor it upkeep fpr years to come. Hence the policy to carry out no maintainence until it becomes a dangerous structure then it can be demolished. Council and Developers happy.

They cannot alter or take it down but are not compelled to maintain it.

How many more winters and gales will it take 5 to 10 I guess.

Nutty

Hi Nutty,

I can understand that, but when a building is graded as Listed, the councils have a legal requirement to ensure that they are protected.

English Heritage, since 2005, have been the ruling authority overseen by DCMS, I'd have thought they would have been 'aware' of the failure of the councils and the land developer to carry this duty out ?

I would have thought having a listed building would have been an advantage - but then London is different I suppose.

Still, the local news have gotten into the act now, perhaps we'll hear more.

:)

The HMS Ganges Association have been singing from this Hym book for at least 8 years to my knowledge with little success in getting anyone interested from Pusser onwards to ensure the mast was maintained. In fact if my memory is correct the last maintainence was carried out by money raised by the Ganges Association but I may be wrong on that one.

Nutty

Nutty & Whitemouse

What happened to the Ganges Association Mast Fund?

I have said on another thread that I would not be willing to execute someone by hanging... well I've changed my mind.... time to hang the bastard councillors responsible.... by the yardarm! :evil:

:pissedoff:

Thingy

thingy said:
Nutty & Whitemouse

I have said on another thread that I would not be willing to execute someone by hanging... well I've changed my mind.... time to hang the bastard councillors responsible.... by the yardarm! :evil:

Thingy

Have a check on www.hmsgangesassoc.org there are some posts about it there.

I can't see the mast surviving personally, but I could be wrong... maybe someone in the Shotley/Ipswich area local councils may decide to do something ?

whitemouse said:
thingy said:
Nutty & Whitemouse

Thingy

Have a check on www.hmsgangesassoc.org there are some posts about it there.

I can't see the mast surviving personally, but I could be wrong... maybe someone in the Shotley/Ipswich area local councils may decide to do something ?

Haven't you got space in your back garden? ;)

Perhaps the Spanish Ganges Association (???) led by Nutty will stage a rescue. It would look quite splendid in Cartagena. :) I would have it in my back garden but sadly it isn't big enough. :( Damn!

Now WHAT CAN BE DONE???

Well I think sitting on our stern sheets, keeping silent, is not an option. The Minister responsible for Heritage is:

Minister of State (Culture, Creative Industries and Tourism) is the Rt Hon Margaret Hodge MBE MP

You can write to her as below:

Rt Hon Margaret Hodge MBE MP
Minister of State (Culture, Creative Industries and Tourism)
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
2-4 Cockspur Street
London
SW1Y 5DH

Tel: 020 7211 6000
Email: [email protected]

Correct salutation when writing to a Minister of State:

Dear Minister...

Yours sincerely...

I suggest something along these lines, if you are challenged for words...

Dear Minister

GROUP II NATIONAL MONUMENT (BUILDINGS) - MAST OF FORMER HMS GANGES

I am writing to you as I am concerned about the future of a significant listed monument at Shotley Gate in Suffolk at the site of the former boys' training establishment HMS Ganges.

HMS Ganges took in boys from mainly working class backgrounds and trained them to be reliable, self-confident, disciplined young men able to take up their positions within the Royal Navy with a level of compitence that surpassed the adult recruits. HMS Ganges' Mast is a Group II Listed Monument currently owned by the developers who are constructing new homes on the site.

I am concerned that despite offers of financial assistance from members of the HMS Ganges Association who run a Ganges Mast Trust Fund for this purpose, the site owners appear to be allowing this monument to fall into a state of disrepair by declining to maintain it. Whilst such a measure may result in the Mast having to be removed eventually for safety reasons, allowing more building on the site, this would represent a loss to our naval national heritage and the working class social history connected with it.

I should be most grateful if you could look into the matter and appraise me of the furure situation regardiong the Mast and what options are available, if any, to ensure that nthis monument is preserved for the nation?

Yours sincerely

Any suggestions for improving the above letter would be welcome..... before I type it out and send it off.

PS: Looks like we need a petition to Downing Street... :twisted: Come on you TROGS... that's something for one of you to do.... though if you ask nicely, I'll willingly oblige ;)

Hi Steve,

The fund seems to still exist - but to what the content is, I've no idea. There has, as Nutty says, been long discussions subject but nothing concrete seems to have been st so far - I could be wrong, as I only post on the site, and have yet to join (been put off slightly by the infighting which may have ended now)

I like the draft letter there Steve, and not being defeatist but as this administration seems hell-bent on destroying all of the British heritage, are they likely to take any notice ?

And as for MH - not one playing with a full deck of cards .....

Memories of Ganges. Staring at the mast from the annex with fear and dread. When the time came I tried to get it over as quickly as poss so swarmed up the first bit. Devil’s elbow was tricky, even more so coming down but at least it wasn’t as high as the half-moon. Shotley routine with oilskins on inside out, how sadistic is that. Doing the ‘Shotley shuffle’ up and down Laundry Hill. The industrial sized spin driers in the laundry (Sir, my white front’s in with my number 8’s !). Snow blowing into the mess from the fire escape door that never closed (Hawke green mansions ’62). Yes, my arse was kicked by my instructor and I so nearly punched his lights out for it. Straight from school at 15 and three months I learnt a helluva lot in that year. Some bad memories but plenty of good ones and the added, priceless catchet of being able to say ‘Yea, I was a Ganges boy’.

Tanzi said:
Memories of Ganges. Staring at the mast from the annex with fear and dread. When the time came I tried to get it over as quickly as poss so swarmed up the first bit. Devil’s elbow was tricky, even more so coming down but at least it wasn’t as high as the half-moon. Shotley routine with oilskins on inside out, how sadistic is that. Doing the ‘Shotley shuffle’ up and down Laundry Hill. The industrial sized spin driers in the laundry (Sir, my white front’s in with my number 8’s !). Snow blowing into the mess from the fire escape door that never closed (Hawke green mansions ’62). Yes, my arse was kicked by my instructor and I so nearly punched his lights out for it. Straight from school at 15 and three months I learnt a helluva lot in that year. Some bad memories but plenty of good ones and the added, priceless catchet of being able to say ‘Yea, I was a Ganges boy’.

Ah, is that why you appear indifferent to its fate?

Sounds like your own mobile sauna to me? ;) :dwarf:

So you were very brave then? o_O

Lots of healthy fresh air! Did someone mention character training? ;)

I'm not indifferent to its fate, thingy. But its no good trying to preserve it where it is. And if all the wood is replaced and all the rope is replaced, is it the same mast we climbed as boys. Take it pieces, sell it off as souvenirs or have one big memorial bonfire but don't drag it out, the memories it holds deserve better.

Junior Instructors
Any ex J Is out there? I remember mine as a slightly overweight, baby-faced sadistic little tw*t. But looking back I feel kind of sorry for him. All his mates went off to continue their training etc. why he had to stay behind and teach sprogs how to wash behind their ears. And what happened when it was time for him to move on? From being top dog he would just be one of the next intake of Juniors. What became of them? Did they continue in their spiteful, malicious ways and all become like Fred West? Or did they all join the Regulating Branch (another bunch of sadistic tw*ts with no discernible skills who sh*t on their shipmates and take some kind of perverse pride in being regarded as the scum of the earth – but, hey, that’s just my opinion).

Latest Threads