HMS G****S

whitemouse said:
The Devil's elbow was my fear - I think I may have had the pattern of the rope imbedded in my hands until I graduated .....!! :lol:

For those of us scared of heights the Devil's aptly named Elbow was a truly formidable experience. I suppose it was all designed to build our self confidence and make us men, but in my case the first time, I was standing at the foot of that massive skyscraper of a mast, looking up into the clouds above, shit scared. The instructors shouted at me, threatened all sorts of terrible punishments, insulted me, humiliated me by rhetorically asking (shouting so everybody in Ganges, so it seemed, could hear) if I was perhaps really a little girl, perhaps he should pull my trousers down to see! He had me in tears. Got me up eventually, slowly, painfully...
 

Seacat

Banned
NozzyNozzer said:
Hi Dunkers, I'm quite happy for you to be an HONTROG if it's OK with Nutty, Whitemouse, etc! :D :?:

Personally I think the Ganges Association should do the same: could charge double membership subs (or Associate life membership for £500 - always a good money raiser, in my experience) to "Associates", with no voting rights - but sadly its just for old boys, which means that all those memories will perish with us - what a tragic waste! :idea:

I've got a fairly rich friend (rich by my standards) whose nuts about Ganges, knows much more about the place that I do (I went there & he didn't!!! :oops: We visited the site a few years ago and he was showing me around - I couldn't remember what half the places were that I was looking at!!!) and would happily part with his money for the cause. He wasn't even born when I went to G! He's called Seacat on RR - not yet contributed much though - a bit shy I think! Needs half a pint of neaters inside him! :lol:

Nozzy.

Hello,

I think this is supposed to be about me! As NN's more senior to me at work he's paid better so you'd have thought that he had more money!

Yes I am interested in Ganges. I find it odd that anyone would want to go there. Are all these stories here really true or are some of you exaggerating them a bit to impress those of us who have no idea what really happened? I don't mean to sound disrespectful or anything, it's just that I'm a bit dubious about some of NN's tales about his time at G! I mean were people really publically flogged there or is he just winding me up? Did you really have to climb over the mast every morning before breakfast at 6am, even in the snow in just shorts?

Seacat.
 
Seacat,

There may be some artistic licence (line shooting!!) by an odd (you can say that again) ex matelot :wink: , but if you can get hold of a book 'HMS Ganges - Tales of the TROGs' by John Douglas, you will get various views of the life at Shotley.
And yes, times may have been considered harsh there, you will need to scan the other forums here (Training Estab, Shore Bases etc) you will see a lot of lines being shot there :lol:

My father was trained at Ganges, as was his father, and he was instrumental in my going there, some of the times I enjoyed and there was more of them than bad times, and I don't think it did me any harm.

You could also try hmsgangesassoc.org for further tales from trogs (Trained Ratings Of Ganges).

Good hunting !
 
D

Deleted 7

Guest
Whilst trying to work out my Grandpa's naval history, I fell across this link and thought it may be of intereset to you lot!
 

Seacat

Banned
whitemouse said:
Seacat,

There may be some artistic licence (line shooting!!) by an odd (you can say that again) ex matelot :wink: , but if you can get hold of a book 'HMS Ganges - Tales of the TROGs' by John Douglas, you will get various views of the life at Shotley.
And yes, times may have been considered harsh there, you will need to scan the other forums here (Training Estab, Shore Bases etc) you will see a lot of lines being shot there :lol:

My father was trained at Ganges, as was his father, and he was instrumental in my going there, some of the times I enjoyed and there was more of them than bad times, and I don't think it did me any harm.

You could also try hmsgangesassoc.org for further tales from trogs (Trained Ratings Of Ganges).

Good hunting !

Hi Whitemouse,

I've read every book on Ganges I've been able to lay my hands on and talked about it to NN, who I agree is eccentric. I had assumed that was due to being at Ganges? I have also been reading archive material at Kew which is rather interesting. You ex-TROGS do seem to have incredible camaraderie. I personally do not think I would have coped at 15 in such a place - I would have one of those crying in my pillow at night for home - but I should have liked the training. I very briefly served in the RNXS (I know, nothing compared to professionals like you) in Ops/Comms and the RN training courses I did were excellent - even being punished was (quite) fun! - Not what I had come to expect from NN's horror stories at all! :lol:

If you ask me though I think all of you deserve a special Ganges Medal for having been there and survived the course! Whenever I meet someone who I learn has been to Ganges they instantly command my respect.

Seacat.
 
Jenny_Dabber said:
Whilst trying to work out my Grandpa's naval history, I fell across this link and thought it may be of intereset to you lot!

That's new since I last looked at the site properly ( a while back, I must admit!). I will need to email in a correction unless my senility is worse than expected as I remember Dittisham (easy to remember the name of as there is a Dittisham plum - thought you'd like to know that snippet Jenny) back in 1960! If it joined G in 1968 then I must have joined G aged 24! The oldest Junior in the history of the place! :lol: :lol: :lol: Interesting thought. :roll: John Douglas already got me muddled up about my time there a few years ago by implying that Capt.Mackenzie was Skipper in the mid-60s. Chief!!!???
 
ADDITIONS transferred from elsewhere... (part 1 of 2)


dondon said:
NozzyNozzer said:
Can I suggest we also include one of Rincewind in his Wren's outfit - just to prove that the modern RN is PC and inclusive of ALL types and could we also have the one of the Ganges lad sucking his thumb, subject to all giving their permission?

preop_postop.jpg


P13.jpg

Yes agree Nozzy , it's a good phot , I went to Raleigh , But I was still only 15&3/4s, still had to polish them bloody deck's with that wax polish , all a piece of piss now with all this liquid stuff [me7], before I left :roll:


NozzyNozzer said:
So Dondon, you're not the mystery thumb sucker then! It's probably the current First Sea Lord! :wink:

Liquid wax polish - that sounds interesting. I still use a large tin of the wax stuff at home on all my wooden furniture, and there's lots of it - I must have got addicted to the aroma (lovely) - rather more pleasant that some of the other smells in a typical Ganges messdeck! It could have just done with a TV or radio and a snooker table... :lol:


dondon said:
NozzyNozzer said:
So Dondon, you're not the mystery thumb sucker then! It's probably the current First Sea Lord! :wink:

Liquid wax polish - that sounds interesting. I still use a large tin of the wax stuff at home on all my wooden furniture, and there's lots of it - I must have got addicted to the aroma (lovely) - rather more pleasant that some of the other smells in a typical Ganges messdeck! It could have just done with a TV or radio and a snooker table... :lol:

No Nozzy not liquid wax polish , me7 , looked like spilt milk , quite a nice smell though , and could get your deck looking like a sheet of glass , that's it I'm off to the work'ies . :roll:


whitemouse said:
dondon said:
NozzyNozzer said:
So Dondon, you're not the mystery thumb sucker then! It's probably the current First Sea Lord! :wink:

Liquid wax polish - that sounds interesting. I still use a large tin of the wax stuff at home on all my wooden furniture, and there's lots of it - I must have got addicted to the aroma (lovely) - rather more pleasant that some of the other smells in a typical Ganges messdeck! It could have just done with a TV or radio and a snooker table... :lol:

No Nozzy not liquid wax polish , me7 , looked like spilt milk , quite a nice smell though , and could get your deck looking like a sheet of glass , that's it I'm off to the work'ies . :roll:

Anyone remember 'Glift' of 'Gleem' ?
Or
The orange looking wax polish, where you punched holes in the bottom, and two in the side for the carrying cord, and then tapped the tin all about the messdeck spreading small blobs of polish ready for the boot brushes or the bumper that was hurled around to give a shine to the deck.


dondon said:
whitemouse said:
dondon said:
NozzyNozzer said:
So Dondon, you're not the mystery thumb sucker then! It's probably the current First Sea Lord! wink

Liquid wax polish - that sounds interesting. I still use a large tin of the wax stuff at home on all my wooden furniture, and there's lots of it - I must have got addicted to the aroma (lovely) - rather more pleasant that some of the other smells in a typical Ganges messdeck! It could have just done with a TV or radio and a snooker table... lol

No Nozzy not liquid wax polish , me7 , looked like spilt milk , quite a nice smell though , and could get your deck looking like a sheet of glass , that's it I'm off to the work'ies . roll

Anyone remember 'Glift' of 'Gleem' ?
Or
The orange looking wax polish, where you punched holes in the bottom, and two in the side for the carrying cord, and then tapped the tin all about the messdeck spreading small blobs of polish ready for the boot brushes or the bumper that was hurled around to give a shine to the deck.
Yep I remember the orange wax polish , remember using it in East Camp in HMS Pembroke 1971 , Fxxxxxxxg nightmare :roll: :twisted:
 
ADDITIONS transferred from elsewhere... (part 2 of 2)


Engines said:
We used to have an old blanket, somebody sat on it & others pulled them up & down (or was that after lights out?)
Do you remember 'Cardinal Red' for the Entrance step?


NozzyNozzer said:
Engines said:
We used to have an old blanket, somebody sat on it & others pulled them up & down (or was that after lights out?)
Do you remember 'Cardinal Red' for the Entrance step?

I remember the blanket. I though everybody did it the same way! It was I think the only "fun" part of polishing the mess square. It was a pity the rest was hard graft. No recollection of Cardinal Red. I thought they used blood for the step, from one of the "sacrificial" nozzers! :wink:

Perhaps we should include a pic (if there are any) of a messdeck being polished. If not perhaps the G Association could organize one during the next reunion by our oldest members :twisted: , or better still we could challenge today's recruits at Raleigh/Collingrad to have a go - for charity! :lol: :twisted: :twisted:


higthepig said:
Glift removed the Gleem,then it was Gleemed, then it was Glifted, then it was glee...................i dont feel well.
 

Seacat

Banned
Can anyone help me here date a photograph I acquired recently from eBay? I have placed them on my website.

All I know about it is that it depicts the first RN personnel to get awarded the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, JROs' Turner & Blackman from HMS Ganges and that they had to walk double the normal distance you had to for the route march, 100 miles against the minimum of 50 miles - my D of E instructor used to double the distances you had to walk too, and he was an ex-Marine!
 
janner said:
All being well I shall be dining with Lord Boyce later in the year, I will of course draw Nozzys treatment at Ganges (I believe I can mention it as I didn't go there). Hopefully He will be in a position to redress the balance, or maybe suggest a reasonably priced dometrix (sp) for Noz to visit in the future

Ooooo! I think I'm entitled to 5/- compensation for the broken skin, which I didn't get at the time. Could I have a pint of bitter instead? If not, could he get me one of those young female matelots dressed as in a 50's Joss outfit with a pusser 8ft long cane (no idea what that is in cms, Nutty)? :lol: and a nice blonde nurse to give me some TLC afterwards, for about a week? :D Oh yes, and can I wear no.8s this time! :)
 
This IS depressing... This thread seems to have died a painful death since Walter NN Mitty Jr. appeared on the scene. Come on you lot, surely it can can be honorably resurrected. :idea:

I just suggest all topics raised by NN above are BANNED! :evil:

Steve.

PS: I've got my arms covering my head ready for you when you knock me to the ground and give me that kicking! :( :lol:
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top