HMS G****S

NozzyNozzer said:
whitemouse said:
Hi NN,

Any idea when this piccy was taken?

The lad in the centre appears to have a bow wave on his cap - and in 1962 that was a definite no!-no! - and was immediately spiked on the bed post !!

One of the lads I trained with (Pete N) had a perfectly shaped round head and never, that I can recall, had a cap spiked.

I got the pic of "Brick" Wall's excellent site (where I've only just noticed Geoff "Wessex" is also depicted) so it is probably 1967-68, as Brick was there then. The page link is here: http://www.maxwall.co.uk/navy/navphoto.htm

Thanks for the link, it confirms that the Lt Cdr Thorpe mentioned by some of the G***** people was the guy who was the supply officer on Troubridge when I was a Mid.

Peter

Bee in his bonnet - I like it :lol:
Can't remember his name, maybe he was just a bit different than others in the main camp.

If you haven't already read John Douglas' book, I recommend it, it gives examples of various Class Instructors throughtout the years and how they treated their boys.

whitemouse said:
Bee in his bonnet - I like it :lol:
Can't remember his name, maybe he was just a bit different than others in the main camp.

If you haven't already read John Douglas' book, I recommend it, it gives examples of various Class Instructors throughtout the years and how they treated their boys.

Gently, I hope? We wouldn't want Dunkers to read it and get the wrong idea, would we!

You can obtain a copy here Dunkers (hint). :)

dunkers

War Hero
Actually I quite honestly think I would like to have gone there! But then maybe I'm a sadist, very naive, or both... the very strict discipline aside (then again how else do you keep 2,000 15-year-old lads in order) it does sound good. I bet the camraderie and sense of pride you got there was wonderful. And in terms of employment - a very stable "job", where else can you get that now.

One question... how did anyone manage not to fall off the button? Surely vertigo would have had an effect? Was it slippy? Very small?

dunkers said:
Actually I quite honestly think I would like to have gone there! But then maybe I'm a sadist, very naive, or both... the very strict discipline aside (then again how else do you keep 2,000 15-year-old lads in order) it does sound good. I bet the camraderie and sense of pride you got there was wonderful. And in terms of employment - a very stable "job", where else can you get that now.

One question... how did anyone manage not to fall off the button? Surely vertigo would have had an effect? Was it slippy? Very small?

I never got up that far - scared of heights! Did the minimum I could get away with with and burned my hands on the way down (so desperate to get down the first time, see) for which I was, of course, punished - self inflicted injuries!

Ganges with less harsh discipline, with punishments tailored more to the boy concerned might have been more appropriate, but not without creating its own problems of inconsistency and perceived unfairness. I must admit that I'd love to redo Ganges now knowing what I do, but miss out on the really humiliating bits - quite happy to have strict but fair staff, just not ones that take pleasure in publically humiliating you several times a day, day-in, day-out for my first few unhappy months! The professional training was great (apart from sore knuckles when learning to type properly - it's just natural to want to look at the keyboard :roll: ). Discovered my love of dinghy sailing, sculling, archery (imagining certain instructors were in the firing line) and some more violent sports involving accidentaly clobbering other people with sticks in the name of sport :lol: :lol: Pity none of them were instructors! I knew I got my masochistic tastes somewhere! :twisted: (I still like the supposedly "genteel" sport of croquet - don't be fooled - played properly it's just like hockey for the less physically able! - didn't learn that at G though, not being Wardroom. If the lawn's drenched then it's almost like water hockey, if it's icy, then its similar to ice hockey - what more could you ask?!! :lol: ).

dunkers said:

I think that it was about 12" diameter, and there was a query shaped (?) lightning rod so that the brave body could grip it with his knees and calves - though I could be wrong as I never made it to the button myself.

Even the bribe of the shilling, half crown or whatever, was not enough inducement .. :!:

There must still be some ex button boys around who could answer this more exactly ?

dt018a9667

War Hero
At long last after all these years I can sleep tight in my bed knowing I wasn’t the only one that went up only as high as I had to (clinging on as tight as I could on the way up as well as down).
Having said there were the mad buggers around that went up in their leisure time!

dt018a9667 said:
At long last after all these years I can sleep tight in my bed knowing I wasn’t the only one that went up only as high as I had to (clinging on as tight as I could on the way up as well as down).
Having said there were the mad buggers around that went up in their leisure time!

You went down the same way?! How dreadful! The ropes were better - once on (getting on was the scary, well actually, the terrifying bit) once on quickly down - never have my little paws moved so fast nor got so red raw in the process. As for my plimsoles, I think the rope friction almost set them alight! :lol: My terror of hights greatly outweighed my sore hands, until I got to the sickbay later, that is, when I had calmed down a bit... (still a bit shakey though)! Did they gently apply cetrimide and bandage my hands up - did they thump - iodine and punishment. Sadists! :x