HMS Foudroyant

onions

GCM
I would like to point out that "Foudroyant" was NEVER moored between Vernon and Dolphin. That would have placed her in the middle of the entrance to Portsmouth harbour. Her moorings were on the Gosport side of the harbour, just off Rat Island and midway between Kings Stairs and Royal Clarence Yard.

scouse

War Hero
I would like to point out that "Foudroyant" was NEVER moored between Vernon and Dolphin. That would have placed her in the middle of the entrance to Portsmouth harbour. Her moorings were on the Gosport side of the harbour, just off Rat Island and midway between Kings Stairs and Royal Clarence Yard.
But seem to remember having to pass her going over on the Gosport Ferry!!!! So betwen the Station landing and the Gosport landing

Memory-stirring photo showing her at her mooring in Portsmouth harbour in 1983:

She looks as though she's in line with the yacht trots off Burrow (Rat) Island / Forton Lake just south of Priddy's Hard on the Gosport side.

Last edited:

onions

GCM
There is a clip on you tube of "TS Foudroyant (Tricomalee) c1969", after 58 seconds it shows a PAS boat passing the stern. In the background you can see part of Gosport, the Harbour Towers and in the foreground is the Oil Fuel Jetty.

Just while we're resurrecting threads from 7 years ago, following the tangents off tangents from Foudroyant/Trincomalee, anyone like to take a wild guess when the last British 74 was sunk by enemy action (no googling).

Amazing.

(And no, it wasn't the Implacable - we sank that one ourselves. Unbelievably.)

murchadh

1940 - former HMS WELLESEY (Cornwallis Class, built Bombay 1815), hulked at Purfleet as a London School Ship Society reformatory and renamed CORNWALL IN 1868. Bombed by the Luftwaffe in 1940. I believed the pilot claimed it as a battleship - Crabs are the same everywhere.