HMS Foudroyant

Discussion in 'History' started by hobbit, Apr 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently posted a comment in another thread, Ship's Nicknames, and mentioned the name Firehydrant in connection with a vessel moored between Dolphin and Vernon. Those on their way ashore and return from Dolphin passed it quite closely on the trip. It was always known as the Firehydrant by Jack but it was HMS Foudroyant of Nelson's days and I believed a French "prize" from one of the " Little Admiral's" many victories'
    The legend ( dit ) was that Nelson's daughter Horatia was conceived on the ship and it seems this was not just a dit but a strong possibility according to the comment from a website below. The various web sites on this vessel reveal a fascinating part of RN history I was never aware of despite the many times I passed the " old girl ".
    My question now , is the Foudroyant still on guard duty or has she gone the way of much of our history, to the wreckers?

The Foudroyant played a key role in Nelson’s dramatic personal and professional life in the period following his stunning victory over the French at the Battle of the Nile on August 1st, 1798. Embroiled, against orders, in Naples and Palermo in the preservation of the 'The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies', the wounded Nelson began his adulterous love affair with Emma Hamilton. Their daughter, Horatia, was probably conceived on board Foudroyant, on a cruise to Malta. The rebel Neapolitan naval commander, Commodore Prince Francesco Caracciolo, was court-martialled for treason and sentenced to death in Foudroyant’s wardroom, and her great cabin became the venue for the parties that were part of Nelson and Emma’s energetic social life. More dignified was Foudroyant’s role in the capture of the only two French battleships to escape from the Battle of the Nile
  2. Foudroyant is very much alive and well, but residing in Hartlepool (whether that's a good idea given the ship's French origins is another question!) under her first RN name of Trincomalee.

She's been restored by the same organisation that brought Warrior 1860 back from the dead in the late 80s, prior to bringing her down to Pompey.

I've not seen the ship since she was in Pompey in the early 80s, but I did see Warrior being restored in Hartlepool and a cracking job they made of her too.

Link to the website below, which will give you the hiostory of the ship and some old piccies.
  3. And a smart lad would have pointed out that only the name is French. The ship was built in Bombay when we had an empire and everything! The rename happened much later when she was used as an accommodation hulk.
  4. Thanks Badgeman, it's good to hear the ship has been saved and in good hands. I did visit the W/S and it is a good source of info. I will return to it for more. One of my old beliefs has been scuppered , the Foudroyant was not a French "prize' it appears and was built by and for the RN. The Trincomalee makes sense after reading your info although it seems strange though after years of knowing it by the French name. Anyway thanks again, :D
  5. if I remember right, she was moored up by what was known as the dolphins, and not HMS Dolphin ?
    I seem to remember seeing her in the mid to late 70's when I was training at Haslar
  6. That would be correct with the place Foudroyant was secured, between Dolphin and Vernon. This is going back to the 50s/60s of course. I looked a little deeper after the info from Badgeman and it seems the name has been popular with the French and English although the name is apparently French and may be derived from flamboyant.My belief that the Foudroyant was a French prize may have some truth can be seen by this cut out from the web,
    The 'Foudroyant' was a large and new 80-gun French flagship of a squadron under Admiral Duquesne. On 28 February 1758 she was on her way to relieve the French Commodore, de la Clue, at Cartagena when she was intercepted by Admiral Osborn with three British ships of the line, the 'Monmouth' and 'Hampton Court', both 64 guns, and the 'Swiftsure', 70 guns. The 'Monmouth' was the first of the separated British squadron to engage the 'Foudroyant', despite the disparity in force between the ships. The action began at 8.00 pm and at about 9.30 pm, the 'Monmouth's' commander, Captain Arthur Gardiner, was hit in the forehead by a piece of grape-shot. He was carried below and Lieutenant Robert Carkett assumed command. Shortly afterwards, the 'Monmouth' lost her mizzen, followed by the 'Foudroyant', which also lost her mainmast. By midnight, the Frenchman's fire had almost ceased and, on the arrival of the 'Swiftsure', which fired one broadside into her, she struck. The 'Monmouth' was unable to take possession of the 'Foudroyant' herself, since none of her boats would float and Captain Gardiner subsequently died from his wounds. 'Foudroyant' was taken into the Royal Navy after capture and during her working life was considered to be its finest two-decker. Several other ships were later named after her.

Later ships also had the name and I believe there is a French submarine with the name. Will the real Foudroyant please stand up. It seems that ships bearing this name have interesting historys so that ma y account for the names popularity, :idea:

Got your name wrong Not_a_Boffin, a senior moment
  7. Cheers jackf. It seems with just a click of the mouse the plot thickens.The practice of re-using ships names makes checking facts and history somewhat confusing but interesting too. Never short of something to look at with RN history or any other navy come to that. Sorry I didn't appreciate this when I was in the mob but when I was in training there was no mention of history I can recall ( circa 1952 )

8. Glad to be of help...
  9. Hobbit

It was common practice in the 17th/18th century that, when a enemy warship was taken as a prize in battle. If in good condition it would be commissioned into the Royal Navy keeping its, French/Spanish/American name. Some of these names then being adopted for future builds.

The plot goes on

10. Few dates on this one
    Foudroyant-------------1st--Prize taken in 1758 Broken up 1787
    2nd 3rd rate built 1798 sold 1892 lost 1897
    3rd [exTrincomalee ] requisitioned for Naval Service 1941 till 1947 kept the name till 1986 then reverted to Trincomalee

Trincomalee---------- 1st Sloop prize1799 Lost 1799
    2nd Sloop prize 1801
    3rd 5th rate built 1817 sold in 1897 and named Foudroyant . Reverted to original name 1986 now at W.Hartlepool .

Trincomalee as she is now is a real picture . Definately worth a visit to see her
  11. The good people at Hartlepool will even let you take away a scrap piece of timber for a small consideration.I have got a nice piece to use as a base for a model of Bellona that I am building
  12. Will they sell me a bit of Pickled monkey??????
  13. The original Foudroyant ran aground on Blackpool beach in 1897 and was ultimately broken up. You can still find chairs, medals, etc made from her on sale on Ebay from time to time.

HMS Trincomalee was then renamed the Foudroyant to replace her, and as many of you will know was in Portsmouth Harbour as a training vessel until the late '80's. She was then taken to Hartlepool and completely refurbished as a 1817 frigate (well nearly) and got her original name back.

The last survivor of the Battle of Trafalgar, apart from Victory was the Duguay-Trouin, renamed Implacable after being captured. The RN used her and the Foudroyant in WW2 as offices, them being moored together in Pompey.

She was taken out and scuttled off Selsey Bill in Dec. 1949. She had the last laugh however as the scuttling charges failed to sink her and she had to be rammed by a destroyer to finish her off!

Her stern is hung on the wall in the entrance to the National Maritime Museum.
  14. I note they didn't retain obviously revolutionary names such as Revolutionaire, etc.
  15. Don't think so, but they will flog you a piece of the rope they hung it with
  16. Joined as a trainee 'Sparker/Coder' direct from sea cadets on a 'hostilities only' placement aged 16 years in 1946. Spent 6 weeks initial training on the Foudryant before posting to main training in Ayr. Scrubbed that deck several times!
  17. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Good first post Stan, welcome to the site.
  18. Work ship at Vernon as a baby TAS ape in Feb 75, we spent a week painting the bilges whilst it was moored up the cold the poxy paint was like treacle.
  19. image.jpg Sea training leaving Pompey harbour;-P