HMS Forest Moor

I had 6 months up there around 75 being a southerner it did wind up the Yorkies on board when they learnt I had that draft :laughing6:
As a REM watch keeping it was a brills draft and the runs ashore in the base van to Harrogate were memorable with lots of fanny and even better cos the young pongos were on cinderella leave :w00t:

I'm working as the MILOPS PO at DHFCS Forest Moor right now

Shame i never got to see the real HMS Forest Moor, But in the rx'er site there is a hallway which is dedicated to the memory of Forest moor and Inskip and there is loads of lovely things down there

Under my desk i have a box of photos which where taken the day Forest Moor closed

But in a way i'm glad its closed as there isnt any accomodation for me, so the MOB have to give me FIA and a fully furnished and fully paid flat in Harrogate close to the holiday Inn

Hurrah for me

I am trying to track down a MAA TV Allan who was at Forest Moor betwenn 1994 - 99ish .

Married to Denise

Believe they settled in the Harrogate area when he left RN

anglichanin

Lantern Swinger
Theres loads of ex matelots working in Harrogate. TSYS and LINK especially so if you get board and fancy a beer at the Old Bell with some ex sparkers let us know
Being ex sparkers i would think Hales Bar would be more appropriate
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

If any of u r techies at TSYS say hello to Gus for me ;-)

Buster,

Glad to hear that the dedication hallway is still there. It took me a good few weeks sorting through all the archived pictures and what was going to be displayed.
I was also on parade at the closing ceremony of HMS Forest Moor, which turned out to be quite emotionial, though the beer certainly flowed that day!
Being a crab, Forest Moor was the 2nd time I had worked with the Navy, the humour, the work hard, play even harder ethos made my memories of that posting fantastic!
I was fortunate enough to get a quarter in Trafalgar Square, one of the best houses I've had in the 23 years that I have been serving.

ChiefRadioElec said:
Does any one remember HMS Inskip? the transmitting station sister of HMS Forest Moor? In the 1970's it was a nice place to be and not to far from Blackpool either but a bit far to be if you didnt have a motor, long walk to railway station from there, but you could always see the red tower lights on the 600 ft masts to guide you back to base.

"Why did all the RA's want to drink my TOT for me? " :D
All these places now sadly gone over "to the dark side" AFAIK Inskip is still use as is my old draft RNWS Crimond, now there was a draft for you victualled in RAF Buchan and a gentle drive each morning out to the station, or a harum scarum one in a land rover in the middle of the night if one of the LF tx'ers went t*ts up

As an aside also on the same theme.

Another memorable draft, for me anyway, was at Castlandhill W/T station outside Rosyth Dockyard on the hill overlooking the River Forth. I believe the place has been sold and is now a private residence. What a great view!

I was there twice. Once as an REM1 and later on as Killick of the watch. Some bloody watch. Who needs coffee if there's a tinnie in the fridge? Just as well none of the occifers knew about us or where we were. On the 2nd time there they tried to put me down the 'Pit'. Go away using great long strides was the answer.

Brilliant times!

Jockroach said:

Another memorable draft, for me anyway, was at Castlandhill W/T station outside Rosyth Dockyard on the hill overlooking the River Forth. I believe the place has been sold and is now a private residence. What a great view!

I was there twice. Once as an REM1 and later on as Killick of the watch. Some bloody watch. Who needs coffee if there's a tinnie in the fridge? Just as well none of the occifers knew about us or where we were. On the 2nd time there they tried to put me down the 'Pit'. Go away using great long strides was the answer.

Brilliant times!
Were you there when Bosun the station dog was there? Sod used to drop his guts all night during the all night on watch.

The station is now a private house it was up for sale earlier this year (or late last year) IIRC it was o/o £375k

The straight ladder which used to lead from the tx hall down into the accommodation has been replaced by a spiral staircase!!

Never as a matelot but during a dog handling course with lancashire police we trecked up to Inskip in a rain storm that would have frightend Noah for a seek and find tracking exercise. All i recall is a load of masts and dishes the place was unoccupied at that time. What a god forsaken place a draft there must have been a right barrel of laughs.

Yes i saw the place advertised on tinternet. Bloody well done up too! I would have thought that they would have kept the SWAB 8 as a focal point though!! or even better the LF antennas to hang out the washing1

JR

Jockroach said:

I remember Castlandhill....great place for a young WEM...Spike Hughes was the Chiefat the time and I didn't really see eye to eye with him....heading into Cochrane with the shopping list for the week was great, a bit like a trolly run round ASDA :)

Also had 2 drafts to Foggy Moor once living in and the last with a flat in Harrogate, went outside from there.

I am the Headteacher of the new school that is to be based at Forest Moor. I found your forum to be of great interest. I feel that the history of the site should not be 'lost', therefore I am extremely interested in stories, significant occurrances, pictures etc. I would like to keep the history of the premises and feel that our children would benefit from this. I would like to create a display area of how the site used to function and would appreciate any pictures or items of interest.

I would also like to know if anyone out there would be interested in seeing the premises, when it has been converted to a residential school for children with emotional, social and behavioural difficulties. The completion should be about October - December 2011.

Please feel free to contact me, any contribution will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Drew Anderson

Hi there,

Ah yes, did they pay for the Sneakies when I was with RNEWOSU at Wyton and Waddington. Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire were interesting drafts after Pompey and Guzz.

Did anyone ever really serve at Crimmond?

I was probably the first male scribbler to get EWOSU. The accom at Brampton when at Wyton was amazing - I had several double takes at the JR mess to make sure I was in the right place, and the SR mess was pretty smart too. And the crab women!!!

Oh to race along the runway in the MT whilst the air-trajickers were firing flares on the way to the Stationery Store.

Happy Days.

PBS