HMS Fearless

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by TattooDog, Oct 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I didn't know whether to put this in here or in the History forum, but since it is still big, grey and sitting in Portsmouth Harbour . . .

MOD announces HMS Fearless to be finally sent for scrapping in Belgium.

BBC Link

Although some bits will be recycled. Anyone fancy a new boiler?

2. Defence Minister Lord Drayson said Van Heyghen Recycling was the preferred bidder for the salvage work because of its track record for recycling materials where possible.

I really really really detest this new consultant speak thats taking over this country. "Preferred bidder"-you mean they`ve got the contract.

And "best practice"-yes but obviously not best grammer.

Apologies TattooDog.

3. Damned sad thing to read. Much as I was a gas turbine stoker I loved my time on Fearless. The systems were one of a kind (well two if you count Intrepid), but she was truly a challenge to work on. The ships company were great too (I served 1983 to 1986), and enjoyed my time onboard. A piece of Naval history is to be lost, our last steam powered ship and Falklands veteran to be scrapped..........

4. Preferred Bidder = Gave the biggest backhander and offer of a directorship

Does Fearless still have it's ramp? I could do with a new back gate!

5. Well a couple of bits of it are sat beside me on the Mantelpiece, 4'' Brass gauge with Klinger cock mounted on Mahogany with quartz movement & several bofors shell cases (some converted to Pen holders with CPO mounted badge) liberated from those fired onboard down south. We had a little production line going in the workshop.

6. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

I was on it during it's time laid up in dehumidification, awaiting refit in 1987. There was just a skeleton crew, and it was a ******* scream.

Levers

7. Thats put a lump in my throat. My first ship out of training as a JRO2 from 84-85 when she decomissioned. Never knew about the 007 cameo role either! Have some great photos of my deployments on her during my time onboard when she was Capt DTS!

8. I remember seeing her coming along side for the last time before they took her finally out of service

She might be chopped up and finally buried but the memories of her won't.

9. Further information, including the possible fate of Intrepid from the MOD:

MOD Press Link

10. T'is a great shame, but they probably need to clear the trots for emptying 3 basin......

The museum idea would have been good but as the Vengeance & Plymouth sagas show, the British public just aren't interested. Atone stage some pub chain was planning to acquire her for use as a backpackers hostel on the Thames. Then they looked up asbestos & lagging in the dictionary....

11. Another great "lady" bites the dust...was with her in '82 in Falklands.

12. Sad indeed. Joined her in early '90 at the back end of the refit- a good laugh, and DTS was a scream,- short deployment, and I think no more than 10 days between runs ashore.
    She was also my second sea draft, and Intrepid was my third.

13. Looking at that movements list it looks like the RN
    are all coming in for the w/end!!

:nemo: :nemo:

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I was on fearless around the same time, did you do the Caribean and med deployments, early 90's?

15. We took her to that state just before I left. I remember that there were only a few messdecks that were actually manned at that time, most of them full of cockies......

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Sorry to disappoint you lads, but the cockies where still there when I joined her in 90/91, fcuking good laugh mind, being on Fearless. Being a Bootie, getting a ships draft with 100+ booties probably doesn't happen anymore.

17. Yep. I have to say that the Booties onboard between 83-86 were really great guys. We had some amazing runs ashore and the Lebanon thing aside, some great trips.

18. Blowing a hoolie at the minute. Tow delayed, probably not over the w/e now......

19. Yeah, I remember the cockies, turn the lights on and watch 'em scurry.

Had a few good times in the 'Charlie' messes, and one errrr, strange call 'round down the pink Corporals mess :thumright:

In answer to your earlier question, yes I did do WIGS on her (twice), and I do remember a foggy day of Yougoslavia- to 'prove' international waters.