HMS Exeter Returns

Back in Pompey tomoro after a couple of months down the Med.
Be good to see the boy again and home for a while until they do a little UK tour in a couple of months,so they maybe coming to a Port near you !!
For West Country natives, possibly the last opportunity to bid farewell to HMS Exeter before she decommissions when her ship's company exercises the right to march through the city of the same name tomorrow.

Pompey News link.
Exeter City Council link.
stirling said:
Are the remaining 42's commanded by Lt Cdr's aswell ?.
No. The difference is that HMS Exeter went into extended readiness with a much reduced ship's company on 30 July and is unlikely to sail again before she decommissions in May. I assume Lt Cdr Broadhurst is her Senior Officer. Detailed programme for tomorrow's march through the city of Exeter as follows (link) and it looks as though her last CO (Cdr Paul Brown) will be present:

HMS Exeter Freedom of the City Parade
Sunday 19 October 2008

HMS Exeter will be exercising the ship's Freedom of the City parade on 19 October. This will take place as part of the City's celebrations for Trafalgar Day and to mark the last time HMS Exeter will exercise it's freedom of the city rights before the ship is decommissioned next year. The ship's crew will be accompanied by The Royal Marines Band from Lympstone and a large contingent of Cadets and the timetable for the morning is as follows:-

10.25am The Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Exeter (Councillor Paul Smith) and Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant of Devon (Mr Eric Dancer) will unveil the "Trafalgar Way" plaque outside the Civic Centre. This plaque was presented to the City Council as part of the bicentenary celebrations of the Battle of Trafalgar.

10.30am Lord Mayor of Exeter, HM Lord Lieutenant of Devon and the Commander in Chief Fleet, will inspect the parade as it forms up outside the Civic Centre.

10.47am The parade will step off from the Civic Centre, taking in Bampfylde Street, Summerland Street, Sidwell Street, High Street, South Street and Cathedral Yard.

10.57am HMS Exeter's nameplate to be presented to the Lord Mayor outside Guildhall, by Commander Brown and Lieutenant Commander Broadhurst.

11.00am The Lord Mayor, Lord Lieutenant and Commander in Chief Fleet take the salute outside Exeter Guildhall, High Street.

11.10am Parade arrives at the West Door of Exeter Cathedral to join the Trafalgar Service.

11.30am Cathedral service commences
How sad I remember her when she was brand new with her lovely blue bottom. They still have the Boost Motor somewhere possibly Collingwood from the Argie Leer Jet she shot down in 82. Too old now but the DBs in their day.
Had a good day down there today at The White Ensign Club in South Street Exeter,they even done plenty of tots for everyone who was in there,and as many as you could drink ( I was driving !!!!!!!!)

So fair play to Exeter City Council for putting it all together and treating RN and Ex RN/RM People accordingly.
I too was in Exeter today, and saw the festivities. Mrs PINCH and I were very impressed with it all.

The Sea Cadets involved with the street lining look very smart and attentive.

I too was driving so was unable to take part in the Tot.

It was a pity that the event had not been publicized more widely I came across it by pure chance.

And I am Glad I did.

[marq=down]Edited for Poor spelling[/marq][marq=down]
She was my one and only lady in my RN time. I'm sorely tempted to swim out into the solent when she's moored up awaiting disposal and (utilising a band of keen ex-exeterites) sail her off into the sunset.

I spent some time with her off the Somali coast in 1994, we all watched from the flight deck BBQ as the septics fired at each other across the beach.

Great days.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jessica Davis Social & Reunions 0
M History 8
M History 17