HMS Endurance - galley packet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seaweed, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

2. About time, - I think Endurance was originally leased before she was bought but I may be wrong.

3. Yes, she used to be the MV Polar Circle. It might have been cheaper last time round for the RN to work out exactly what it wanted and have one built rather than running around with an ex civvie conversion that was manifestly unsuited to the job in hand....

Very good at cruising in limited ice environments in the Arctic summer - not so good at circumnavigating the globe once a year and b*ggering about in the Southern Ocean.

Although the Can Man was (rightly) trooped for failing to secure properly for sea, the JRDH was the only place I have ever seen a vending machine get properly airborne. Unfortunately, Ops ended up under it (proper cartoon style, all we could see was splayed arms and legs). Why was Ops in the JRDH? Everyone was - a wardroom on 04 deck is not a great place to serve food in a single screw flat bottomed icebreaker in open ocean.

4. Im surprised they didn’t go for the first option in this financial climate

“scrap Endurance and forget about heading to the Antarcticâ€

5. I guess when compared to buying a warship the money involved is almost trivial. And it is needed to support the boffins down there.

6. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Great idea, Admiralty-blokes. Tell you what, buy another Norweigian cast-off, complete with it's very quick-obsolesence-path machinery, indecipherable operating documentation and unsustainable-without-long-logistic-lines equipment. Then, when you've discovered it is built for forty people, cram another seventy on in every shoe-hornable corner possible without upgrading the domestic facilities to cater for them. Then scrimp on the annual maintenance budget, training and upkeep.

It's all too familiar and tragic ...

levers

7. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Wasn't it a CLD at the time, and he was seated on the deck close-by?

levers

8. But isnt the other option that BAE build it and it ends up costing 1 billion? And then we dont get one at all?

9. Unless i have missed something i think you have misunderstood. It says its coming from Norway. As in a merchant vessel.
    I could be wrong but i think that wiki (it is wikim after all) is talking about norway as in the navy/coast guard only having the one ice breaker.
    Thats the way i am reading all this anyway.

10. AAAaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!! MMMMmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!! I must stop this thinking lark its giving me headaches :oops: :oops:

My brain hurts!!!!!!