Hms Eagle

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very good footage...I really enjoyed the aerial footage of the Phantom crossing the ramp and trapping...It looks like you guys in the RN flew along the port-side while in plane guard, unlike us in the US Navy. We called it, "Starboard Delta" and flew a DME arc of the ships TACAN from 0-5 miles or if a second helo was out there they'd take 5-10 DME. We'd fly the 045-135 radials (relative) and anywhere in between. Between cycles we'd practice doing sonar work or rescue work...At nighttime we'd don the googles and fly on those...I have always been fascinated by Royal Navy carrier operations and all the innovations that were invented by the RN and later adopted by the US Navy to this day.
  2. Lol always on the port bow, that's where the action is lol [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. That last one was a difficult one to watch because it is my understanding that the pilot of Scimitar was the squadron CO, and the diver did all he could to get him free, but the canopy was jammed shut. Naval Aviation is still a very dangerous way to make a living and even less so, especially when jet aircraft were flown off axial deck carriers. I have also read that the Scimitar had a horrendous safety record.
  4. It was the straw that broke the camels back for UK nautical aviation. After that several papers were written and the RN SAR Diver was borne.
  5. The US Navy had it's own wake-up call with SAR operations off of CV's during the Viet Nam era in particular. They had a couple of pilots that could have and should have been saved had the aircrew been properly given standardized training and equipment. We have a good program in the US Navy, even if it did get a bit off track after some overzealous instructors "smurfed" some poor kid, he had a heart attack and drowned. Caused a big shake-up, and still felt to this day.
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Is that the Scimitar ditching which was plastered all over the front pages of our newspapers with the pilot frantically scrabbling at his hatch? The British press certainly descended to an even lower than usual level of disgusting behaviour with that one. I seem to remember that the pilot was a Commander Russell.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 1958 | 1- - 0896 | Flight Archive

1958 | 1- - 0533 | Flight Archive
  8. Very sad accident and all the more , because the press etc were present, at the time. On the Vic we had a similar accident whereby a Scimitar caught the wire, disengaged and rolled forward aiming for No 1 spot under the guidance of L/Air 'Benny' Goodman, brake failure and the cab just rolled over the side. The pilot was picked up by the SAR, I think his name was Edwards, but this time the aircraft had had struck the water on its back. I Have a pic of the cab going over the angle, just about the spot where on 2 deck was the Handlers mess , 4 Mess .
  9. Hope it was not the same Lt G C Edwardes who lost his life in 1961, after ejecting from a 803 sqdn Scimitar , from HMS Victorious, 2 years after !!!!
  10. I think over half the Scimitars were lost in accidents. It was well-thought of by the pilots as a good flying aircraft, but it was a dangerous aircraft to bring aboard the boat. It had a very highly swept wing without any leading edge devices for extra lift at low airspeeds, which required a very high angle of attack to fly the "ball" and get aboard.
  11. Scimitar
  12. Almost as much Martin-Baker time as flight time on that type! Dangerous airplane, but as you well know operating the early jets off carriers was extremely dangerous. I cannot believe that jets operated off axial deck carriers! The Corsair was also a very tough airplane to get aboard the boat because of it's landing gear being a bit spongy and restricted view. Wasn't widely used until late in the war by the USN, but the RAN, RNZN and RN all flew the "Whistling Death". Wondering know if the Commonwealth Navy FAA fellows had any Corsair or Hellcat aces?
  13. 39 out of 71 airframes built were lost...Yikes!
  14. Well, lots of reasons given as to why it beacame a bit of 'beast', the small carriers compared to its size and weight. Had a very distinctive launch attitude, and also at night the double planeguard, with one steaming ahead a certain distance so the pilot could line up with a mast head light. It was a bugger for leaking fuel, just fitted the lifts, all the same a very asthetic cab and a good looker, one that I'm sure the guys who flew it came to respect it quickly, I did witness the demise of some of them, including the fail ejection sequence of Sub Lt Westlake. I remember well standing on the flight deck and watching the aircraft suddenly, when downwind, turn and dive into the sea, we were stunned, I stood next to another handler ( 'Fats' Harper ) all who witnessed that were truly silenced.
  15. try this web site out....Roll of Honour of Fleet Air Arm and Commonwealth Naval Aviation.
  16. Sea Vixen was worse!!!!!!
    • 145 Sea Vixens were built. The loss rate was 37.93%. The fatality rate within those losses was 54.54%. Airframe. Out of these 55 accidents 30 were fatal. In 21 of the fatal accidents both operating Aircrew were lost. The loss of 51 Royal Navy Aircrew lives in peace time was enormous.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

'Carrier Pilot' by Norman Hanson is all about Corsairs. The odd wing shape was because of the size of the prop and the need to get the oleos down to a reasonable size. My understanding is that the US used it primarily for the USMC.