HMS Eagle - home movies 1950s

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Aug 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The first half of last night's episode of the BBC1 series Home Movie Roadshow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tj79t/Home_Movie_Roadshow_Episode_3/) included film taken by a National Service OD on board HMS Eagle in 1953. He seems to have been given pretty much the run of the ship for his filming. The clips used include flight deck ops with Sea Hornets, Attackers and a Firefly, and an undercarriage collapse of an AEW Skyraider; film of the 1953 Fleet Review; and oggin coming over the bow onto the flight deck to cheer up any modern Crabs who may be watching. I think this may be Eagle's first commission. An 'uncut' version may show up later on BBC i-Player I think so watch out for that.

Pity about the commentary - far too much of it and often creepily (and condescendingly) left-wing in accordance with BBC Marxist policy, but hang in there and watch the FAA entering the jet age.

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

It brought a tear to my eyes. Wish I could see the whole film.

3. Good find Seaweed

National service.....bring it back, I say.

Most national servicemen recall it as a 'Direction Finder' for them
    Give our young bucks the same opportunity

4. Seaweed

5. ''Let go seaboat''............. :oops:

6. Repeated on beeb2 tonight @ 1800.

7. Seaweed

Bump as this is the 'uncut' version now available:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tlf0j/Home_Movie_Roadshow_Uncut_Episode_3/

This means without the irrelevant gibberings of the self-important commentators. However it is clearly NOT the complete movie as the Mountbatten bit is missing from this edition, as is the bit from the 1953 Fleet Review. Anyway, lots to enjoy!

More NS bits from another source last night in Episode 4. Tiny glimpses of the RN but one of the bods in a dinghy is wearing a white front.

To be hoped that the IWM or somebody will scoop the whole thing up for the entertainment of old shellbacks and the education of our young.