Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Duncan on the Telly

Probably a good explanation but for replenishing at Crete it would have seemed a darn sight easier if Duncan had tied up alongside that RFA. That would have avoided 'em having to txfer dry goods via lorryload a few lorry lengths down the jetty.

Could @alfred_the_great, or anyone similarly current, offer their 'Reasons in Reading', please?

Probably a good explanation but for replenishing at Crete it would have seemed a darn sight easier if Duncan had tied up alongside that RFA. That would have avoided 'em having to txfer dry goods via lorryload a few lorry lengths down the jetty.

Could @alfred_the_great, or anyone similarly current, offer their 'Reasons in Reading', please?

Better still, fuel forward via fo'c'sle.

levers

Best guess is that the shore fuel lines would not reach across both hulls.
And that the RFA was not near the fuel berth in the first place?
And that pumping fuel across another ship is probably not a great idea in the second place.

But I await better input from a real sailor!

@Levers_Aligned : I think they did , after some sort of spill/pumping accident?

You're correct, they did.

Can't beat a bit of ME/Logs planning, can you?

CHODS: 0930

"Pusser? You bringing victuals on?"
"Certainly am."
"Midships? Stores lift?"
"A-ffirmative."
"Groovy. I'll get the tankies to fuel ship forward."
"Cheers, engines."

levers

Are tours actually like this one in the current climate or have they just played up a lot of drama for the cameras?

Seemed rather shambolic. Too many dressed in elaborate rigs needing Royal Navy and a Union Flag on their expensive bits of kit in case they couldn't remember just who they were or which country they were fighting for. The Commodore with the assistance of the Cox'n with a grand name might have been able to explain had they been able to fight their way through the 270 plus aboard. to find them.

Seemed rather shambolic. Too many dressed in elaborate rigs needing Royal Navy and a Union Flag on their expensive bits of kit in case they couldn't remember just who they were or which country they were fighting for. The Commodore with the assistance of the Cox'n with a grand name might have been able to explain had they been able to fight their way through the 270 plus aboard. to find them.
That "Union Flag" is the White Ensign, glad to see you were observant enough to get that wrong!

Artemis...Mmm?

Welcome to RR - Sadly your choice of username is one which still causes a little shudder to reverberate throughout the Trade.

Re: 'seemed rather shambolic...' - exactly my thoughts on arriving at Dolphin pierhead one morning early in July 1971.

My last Boat Bob, left her the end of '70. Met her Capt. some years later and he bought me a pint, so it wasn't all bad news.

What a twerp. The modern Royal Navy exists on its corporate image. And as pointed out (and the last time I checked my rig) it's a white ensign. We're proud of it.

The rest of your comment - WTF?

levers

Latest Threads