HMS Duncan on the Telly

Listen to the follow up pipe, Diving stations..everyone up, reactor scram..just us poor back actors who are next on get up
Oh.
So... just like surface fleet then:
3 blasts followed by "Fire, fire, fire", or "Flood, flood, flood" or "casualty, cas... "
Well, you get the idea.
We're all the same :)

Well, banter, thread drifts and Norman and his comments aside...

I thought it was rather a good little series. If there is anyone from HMS DUNCAN reading this - BZ for what showed the RN in far better light than the Raleigh thing last year, and further BZ for completing what looked like quite a demanding deployment.

Ageing_Gracefully

War Hero
Review Editor
Book Reviewer

I thought it was rather a good little series. If there is anyone from HMS DUNCAN reading this - BZ for what showed the RN in far better light than the Raleigh thing last year, and further BZ for completing what looked like quite a demanding deployment.
Wot e ^ said.

Apart from a brief mention of the curtailed Montenegro session, I noted that there was an absence of stories/footage of cultural excursions/runs ashore.*

Probably a wise move (any 'traditional antics' would have detracted from the underlying theme - facing the menace of the opposition) but one which gave the impression of all work and no play.

*Directors cuts eagerly awaited...

This and the programme about the QE were both excellent IMHO. The best docudramas about the RN I've seen.
Apart from a brief mention of the curtailed Montenegro session, I noted that there was an absence of stories/footage of cultural excursions/runs ashore.*
The HMS Brilliant documentary put paid to that. Once bitten and all that.

Seadog

War Hero
It seemed to me that at least one tense incident was created out of two or more others. At Action Stations in one frame, next minute, peacetime cruising rig but shouting about Russians, then back to full Action Stations.

Maybe I missed something in the narrative.

I felt that when addressing the ship’s company on the flight deck, the otherwise impressive ‘old lady’ could have ordered ‘gather round-can you hear me at the back?’ As it was, there was too much physical distance.

Not enough engineering.

It seemed to me that at least one tense incident was created out of two or more others. At Action Stations in one frame, next minute, peacetime cruising rig but shouting about Russians, then back to full Action Stations.
The rig change did irritate me slightly too.
The editing gave the wrong impression of what action stations is like.

Having said that, it was only a minor point in what was otherwise v.sat/good programme.

Maybe I missed something in the narrative.

I felt that when addressing the ship’s company on the flight deck, the otherwise impressive ‘old lady’ could have ordered ‘gather round-can you hear me at the back?’ As it was, there was too much physical distance.

Not enough engineering.
The photo/ chopper incident was a laugh for us squaddies. . Had the sailor chappie spoke to the Russian chopper crew in Russian he could have ordered a few copies of the photos he was taking