HMS Duncan on the Telly

FYI - the accommodation. Most of you will not know this, even if serving on a 45.

The accommodation was all constructed in modules in a factory (Gateshead area?) Bunks, lights the whole kit and caboodle were assembled, then put into giant 'boxes' with the services already run. These boxes were then put into the empty compartments on the ship, the services connected et viola - messdecks!

There is/was a computer generated video of the entire ship build - don't forget they were built in several different plants around the UK and then transported to Govan for final gluing together.

Having said that - 'shitty death' That baby stoker's top bunk was very 'submarine' bunk in size!

He did say that was the "austere" accommodation, for new joiners.
Presumably he'll move into something better as and when someone goes on draft.
Dunno really, I'm just guessing...
Austere and get a 'proper' pit of his own!! Luxury!!
Junior officers in any spare WE compartment is norm. Great fun doing middle watch rounds clambering over them.
That said, best 'austere' accommodation on a 21 was the Gyro Rm. You had to go through a JRs Mess (normally WE/ME) so could be 'delayed' getting to bed (or sometimes coming off specials :D). The Gyro Rm was full ships width and had loads of space.

Taztiff Had 2 sweepers with divers as cox'ns ,Laleston was John Cobb a C.D. and Jasper( I think) Peters on Brinton another C.D. both good hands.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Don't get me going on Cox'ns.
Small ships it was the PO Diver who doubled up as Cox'n. Christ! So far up his own chuff anyway (what with being a diver) he loved telling the WEO (Me, CPOWEA 14 years seniority), MEO (CCMEA ex-subs back afty), DMEO (CPOMEA, 8 years seniority), and DWEO (CPOWEA, 7 years seniority) that he was SENIOR rating on board.
Still - it gave him something to do whilst his mirror was being cleaned.
I had that. I was promoted WO2 in 2004 and ended up being lorded over by an ex-Sub Coxn who was promoted CPO to WO1 and therefore EWO, his promotion date 2006. Seemed to think he could tell me what to do with staff in my branch, what with me being the most senior rating in that branch on board and my DEPCO onside too. He learned quick.

What an ********

levers

Allnightin

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone know why there are about 280 personnel onboard? Presumably there are some additional because of the Cdre's staff, but is there a sea training contribution as well?

Does anyone know why there are about 280 personnel onboard? Presumably there are some additional because of the Cdre's staff, but is there a sea training contribution as well?
In the first episode there was a very brief mention of YOs being on board.
I guess that explains some of the extra personnel...

Probably a good explanation but for replenishing at Crete it would have seemed a darn sight easier if Duncan had tied up alongside that RFA. That would have avoided 'em having to txfer dry goods via lorryload a few lorry lengths down the jetty.

Could @alfred_the_great, or anyone similarly current, offer their 'Reasons in Reading', please?

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Probably a good explanation but for replenishing at Crete it would have seemed a darn sight easier if Duncan had tied up alongside that RFA. That would have avoided 'em having to txfer dry goods via lorryload a few lorry lengths down the jetty.

Could @alfred_the_great, or anyone similarly current, offer their 'Reasons in Reading', please?
Better still, fuel forward via fo'c'sle.

levers

Best guess is that the shore fuel lines would not reach across both hulls.
And that the RFA was not near the fuel berth in the first place?
And that pumping fuel across another ship is probably not a great idea in the second place.

But I await better input from a real sailor!

@Levers_Aligned : I think they did , after some sort of spill/pumping accident?