HMS Duncan on the Telly

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Channel 5 TV, will be broadcasting a 4 part mini-series Documentary called “Warship” which will begin transmission on Monday 26th November.

The programme will follow daily life onboard HMS DUNCAN during a recent deployment. The ship is commanded by Commander Eleanor Stack Royal Navy, who is one of the few female CO’ s currently deployed on operational service.

I thought it was a very good, entertaining and informative programme. Funny that it didn't show them alongside in Malaga, but maybe there will be no run ashores shown. Loved the 'secret'condom fairy! Not just a huge box of them at the top of the brow then...........

I reckon there will be a queues round the block at all the AFCOs this morning!

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Didn't show anyone relaxing in the mess though - perhaps still to come

That was what I really enjoyed on deployments - a few tinnys and a sing song/uckers/general banter and abuse/dits/black cats - tight knit group with your messmates

It had been edited well to cut out the boring passage routine bits which is understandable. Clearly some characters have been selected for special attention which was good as it showed young thrusters like the stoker having to get his hands dirty just to prove it's not all getting bronzy on the helo-deck.
Just one teensy weensy(almost nothing really)thing ruffled the feathers of this PSOF. When were bunks replaced by beds on board ship?

Who was the gadgie wandering about in posh ovies carrying a white handbag mincing about all over the place? All l could see was him getting in the way!! Oh, don't get me started on his feckin hankie lol !!!!!

Who was the gadgie wandering about in posh ovies carrying a white handbag mincing about all over the place? All l could see was him getting in the way!! Oh, don't get me started on his feckin hankie lol !!!!!
Pay attention! :p;)
It was clearly stated that he was the EWO (Executive Warrant Officer).
The contents of his bag weren't mentioned though, but as they appeared to be in defence watches I could hazard a guess...

Please excuse my stupidity but WTF is an Executive Warrant Officer and what does he do onboard?? From what was shown all l could see was him walking round various areas of the ship but not actually Doing anything. Just to be clear l became an ex matelot in 89

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Please excuse my stupidity but WTF is an Executive Warrant Officer and what does he do onboard?? From what was shown all l could see was him walking round various areas of the ship but not actually Doing anything. Just to be clear l became an ex matelot in 89
EWO is the senior, senior rating on board and heads the rating corps of men and women, providing an admin, executive, pastoral and organisational link to the officer corps and Command. He replaces the Whole Ship Co-Ordinator and melds the upper roles of ChOps(M)(R)(S) (although they still remain on board) with the MAA and liaises with the Tech Warrants too. It's quite an important, involved role and you have to be everywhere, know everyone, know everything and anticipate everything too. You know pretty soon if you have a gash EWO because everything falls to a bag of shit pretty fast.

Shore Establishments have a BWO (Base Warrant Officer). Naval Commands (1SL and 2SL Subs and RM) have their respective 'Command' Warrants and the overall senior, senior, senior rating is WONS (Warrant Officer of the Naval Service). No one is higher than he or she.

levers

The Buffer.;)

Making sure the poor rating detailed off to serve horses doofers knew what he was serving while everyone around him gets pissed, opp's sorry high jinx.

A lot of Submariner WO Cox'n's get that as a draft.....I'll say no more :)
Don't get me going on Cox'ns.
Small ships it was the PO Diver who doubled up as Cox'n. Christ! So far up his own chuff anyway (what with being a diver) he loved telling the WEO (Me, CPOWEA 14 years seniority), MEO (CCMEA ex-subs back afty), DMEO (CPOMEA, 8 years seniority), and DWEO (CPOWEA, 7 years seniority) that he was SENIOR rating on board.
Still - it gave him something to do whilst his mirror was being cleaned.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dapperdunn MoD News 2
Hooly Current Affairs 17
soleil The Fleet 12