HMS Duke 1942/Egypt 1943/India

Discussion in 'History' started by Neil, Apr 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to find historical information re my father, who unfortunately died in 1972. He trained at HMS Duke in Sept 1942, I have a photo in Egypt 1943, and some undated photos in Ootacomund in India. He never liked talking about his days in the navy, but he did say he was on the second lot of ships to go through the med (the first lot caught the germans by surprise, but I believe many of the second lot were killed, as they had to throw their mates overboard. He had drawings of planes, so was possibly in the Fleet Air Arm? I also still have a crib board, made out of part of a crashed plane!

Can anyone cast any light on the operations he was involved in?

Thanks

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Could be of help!!! the BIBLE :wink: The Fleet Air Arm Handbook 1939-45, David Wragg Review of The Fleet Air Arm Handbook 1939-45 by David Wragg. ... wing and group in the FAA, the aircraft it used and the ships it operated from. ...
    www.historyofwar.org/bookpage/wragg_fleet_air_arm_handbook.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

4. Does anyone know if many convoys went through the suez to India, or any other general historical information that may be relevant? How do you put the question mark on the main title?

Thanks for the replies so far.