HMS Dryad - remember the good times?

Mackan2017

Badgeman
The one that Winny refers to ("A Girl Like You") is from late 1987, and it was partly filmed at Osprey/FOST/NAS Portland while I was there. I know/recognise a lot of the girls that are in it, particularly (and obviously) the WROs, and also the RP girls that were working in FOST Ops and the Air Station Ops room, which was upstairs from my office.

It also shows 3 WROs from Gib Commcen, all of which I knew. 32 years have passed very quickly........

The film that I referred to in my original post is from 1969, and I can't remember it's title. HOWEVER......I had another quick look on YouTube last night and finally someone has put up another film about the WRNS.....this one is from 1961 and it's called "Look At Life - Girls Ahoy", it's another well-made "short" that captures the era perfectly. Once again it features Dauntless and Malta. Just go to YouTube and search for "Girls Ahoy".......

I'll be back next week and I hope to have the title of that 1969 WRNS recruiting film. I'm over in blighty this weekend for a meet-up with some ex-matelots in London and I intend to rack their brains.....

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
That was spooky - I was an Instructor at Raleigh 87/88 and I recognise some of the girls and quite a few of the S/Rs and occifers

I didn't even know this was made

Winny

Badgeman
The one that Winny refers to ("A Girl Like You") is from late 1987, and it was partly filmed at Osprey/FOST/NAS Portland while I was there. I know/recognise a lot of the girls that are in it, particularly (and obviously) the WROs, and also the RP girls that were working in FOST Ops and the Air Station Ops room, which was upstairs from my office.

It also shows 3 WROs from Gib Commcen, all of which I knew. 32 years have passed very quickly........

The film that I referred to in my original post is from 1969, and I can't remember it's title. HOWEVER......I had another quick look on YouTube last night and finally someone has put up another film about the WRNS.....this one is from 1961 and it's called "Look At Life - Girls Ahoy", it's another well-made "short" that captures the era perfectly. Once again it features Dauntless and Malta. Just go to YouTube and search for "Girls Ahoy".......

I'll be back next week and I hope to have the title of that 1969 WRNS recruiting film. I'm over in blighty this weekend for a meet-up with some ex-matelots in London and I intend to rack their brains.....

Mackan2017

Badgeman
Makes you wonder if any of those girls are still around? Assuming that the younger wrens in the film would be on their first foreign, they'd have been around 20 years-old at the time.....so born (say) 1941, making them 78-ish today. Obviously the officers and senior rates would be older. It'd be fascinating to hear their stories. I took a look on the Forces Reunited webpage and there are indeed wrens listed there that were serving at HMS Phoenicia (the RN base on Malta that's featured) during the period that the film was made......

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MoD News 0
mrLESNAR Bases / Shore Est 19
N Bases / Shore Est 10