Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

HMS Dryad - remember the good times?

Might be worth opening a new post on it. Surely He`s known throughout the fleet. I know one but it involves a mate of mine and JS` daughter and although I enjoy nothin more than sharing a dit I`m not a c**t. Did you know Mad Dave Stevens?

Griff9781 said:
I was in Dryad in about 2000 then again in 03. Dots diner was awesome for a hangover. Great days and when I wasn`t on course I worked in the CT Store with an old bloke called Dave Stevens the guy was a legend he was my sea daddy before I even went to sea. Mad as a bag of spanners though. The only downer working there was working for a warrant officer called John Snodden he was a bit of a nob. I once spilt coffee all over one of his Warrant officer buddies I was gutted cos I was aiming for snodden.

I got on well with John Snodden while on the invince. though if he did not like you, he would sure as hell let you know about it.
Liked his divisions aswell lol

I too got on with JS, although a friend of mine managed to piss him off by repeatedly marching off divisions after being told to go around again, with the words "no f**kin WO is going to tell me to go for a walk when i need a coffee"

Most funny

Hehe, JS was fine so long as you entered into JSWorld, but I think his problem was that 'refused' to move with the times. He was the authority on Parade and Ceremonial Training, but put him in an Ops Room and I'm sure he'd turn into a quiering wreck. He was a character who was remembered for lots of reasons (unfortunately mostly the wrong ones...) :neutral:

percey99 said:
HMS DRYAD was for RP s RP did this mean ROSE PETAL ?

No RP means Rape and Pillage the second Defined Branch in the Royal Viking Navy, or in fact any navy and continued down with its traditions and training right up to the very last days of HMS Dryad.

Nutty, Leading Seaman Rape&Pillager2, Submarines

PS The first branch of course being "Oarsman"

Yeah, and you know why? Well... when Hong Kong was handed back to the Number 1 ('96, I believe?), the Naval Party out there were required to do a ceremonial handover. The CPO(M) out there at the time (Jumper Cross) organised the whole event; marking out the training, the route, the march past, the flags, the music, etc. As JS was the Fleet Authority on Parade & CT, he was aked to assist, although to my knowledge all he did was shout at people from the dias.
The handover went smoothly and the RN was repatriated. Head honchoes were in the mood for handing out gongs and remembered the scary old man who stood at the front of the parade and looked good on camera, so gave him an award; Jumper Cross got bugger all (even though he did all the preparation). He was 'awarded' with a cushy barrack job when he came home - Buffer of Dryad, which brings us full circle!

He who shouts loudest gets noticed... :wink:

Was one of 5 stokers at Dryad 72/73....I was buffers yeoman which meant I made the soup,tea, and cheese rolls for stand easy and very little else, nice little earner....Dot supplied us with all the makings at knock down prices even though we were competition.
Staggering down the back lane from 'The Beast' to catch last orders in the club....the home brewed wine in the Beast gave you lockjaw if you had too much.

Yeah, I heard that. I also heard that, when he reached 55 years old, he wrote to CINC and demanded a commission so the RN could employ him until he was 60! Guess what the answer was... :shock:

Was at Dryad in 85-6 in Training Support Dept.

Only 'personality' I remember was a POGI who had retired before the Falklands and had been brought recalled. I phoned to speak to one of his blokes about deck-hockey or something and heard "OI SMUDGE!! It's your snogging oppo on the phone" I wasn't but blushed bright enough to heat the main admin building for a fortnight (I'd gone to an all girls' school before I joined up)

The POGI would have been Don Jacobs,the guy was a star.I worked for him for a few months in 82,waiting for my first sea draft(the ship i was joining was down south).

Dots was great. Roll and sausage with Tabasco sauce, strong tea with 2 sugars, heaven!! Remember JS, he wouldn't let me and one of the CPO(M)s do a "Ain't half hot Mum routine" at end of term divisions!! Was removed from the Passive sonar trainer for giving another member of my course too much info on her track!! Great fun!!

Latest Threads