HMS Dragon launched

#2
DAUNTLESS, DARING, DRAGON and DEFENDER I can understand. DIAMOND isn't too bad I suppose but does anyone know who why or where DUNCAN came from?

SF
 
#4
Six Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Duncan, after Admiral Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan of Camperdown, hero of the Battle of Camperdown.

merci beaucoup wikipedia.
 
#7
SILVER_FOX said:
DAUNTLESS, DARING, DRAGON and DEFENDER I can understand. DIAMOND isn't too bad I suppose but does anyone know who why or where DUNCAN came from?

SF
Could be worse a ship named Double Diamond :dwarf:
 
#8
The_Jimmy said:
SILVER_FOX said:
DAUNTLESS, DARING, DRAGON and DEFENDER I can understand. DIAMOND isn't too bad I suppose but does anyone know who why or where DUNCAN came from?

SF
Could be worse a ship named Double Diamond :dwarf:
DARING, DAINTY, DECOY, DELIGHT, DIANA, DEFENDER, DUCHESS, and DIAMOND were the last set of D-class destroyers built in the late 40s/early 50s and at the time, were the all singing, all dancing Dogs Bollox vessels like these are supposed to be now. No probs with the names at all.
 
#9
lsadirty said:
The_Jimmy said:
SILVER_FOX said:
DAUNTLESS, DARING, DRAGON and DEFENDER I can understand. DIAMOND isn't too bad I suppose but does anyone know who why or where DUNCAN came from?

SF
Could be worse a ship named Double Diamond :dwarf:
DARING, DAINTY, DECOY, DELIGHT, DIANA, DEFENDER, DUCHESS, and DIAMOND were the last set of D-class destroyers built in the late 40s/early 50s and at the time, were the all singing, all dancing Dogs Bollox vessels like these are supposed to be now. No probs with the names at all.
I was linking the DD as when I was last in UK to a beer called Double Diamond which if memory serves was crap
 
#19
The last "Duncan" was a type 14, "Captain" class frigate.
The others were "Blackwood", "Dundas", "Exmouth", "Grafton", "Hardy", "Keppel",
"Malcolm", "Murray", "Palliser", "Pellew", and "Russell".
Three others, Khukri, Kirpan, and Kuthar, were built for the R.I.N.

Probably the only occasion on which two ships of the same class were named for the same man.

2BM
 

Latest Threads

Top