HMS Dragon launched

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dunkers, Nov 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DAUNTLESS, DARING, DRAGON and DEFENDER I can understand. DIAMOND isn't too bad I suppose but does anyone know who why or where DUNCAN came from?

2. I agree with you Silver_fox, where did Duncan come from? Maybe the guy who named them has a son?hmm
  3. Six Royal Navy ships have been named HMS Duncan, after Admiral Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Duncan of Camperdown, hero of the Battle of Camperdown.

merci beaucoup wikipedia.
  4. lmao well done captainobvious you're a genius
  5. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Duncan was alongside Tiger in 3 basin for yonks in the late 70s and early 80s.

6. Could be worse a ship named Double Diamond :dwarf:
  7. DARING, DAINTY, DECOY, DELIGHT, DIANA, DEFENDER, DUCHESS, and DIAMOND were the last set of D-class destroyers built in the late 40s/early 50s and at the time, were the all singing, all dancing Dogs Bollox vessels like these are supposed to be now. No probs with the names at all.
  8. I was linking the DD as when I was last in UK to a beer called Double Diamond which if memory serves was crap
  9. Genius my fair lady, genius!
  10. Ducan very steely. "Look out somolia pirates here is HMS Ducan"
  11. lol I apologize.
  12. WTF...

If a wig wearing aristocrat lacks appeal, try a murderous Scot by the same name Duncan Clan
  13. Also dragon dont come in service until 2012, As it says on the royal navy website.
  14. Duncan? Whatever happened to Dave? Proper and British.
  15. Make a Wikipedia article about an "Admiral Dave" & maybe some time the RN will read up on him and name a ship after him. :thumright:
  16. I prefer the DooDaa myself.
    "Hello mate! Ain't seen you in ages! What ship you on now?"
    "Oh, erm, I'm on the Doodaa"
  17. The last "Duncan" was a type 14, "Captain" class frigate.
    The others were "Blackwood", "Dundas", "Exmouth", "Grafton", "Hardy", "Keppel",
    "Malcolm", "Murray", "Palliser", "Pellew", and "Russell".
    Three others, Khukri, Kirpan, and Kuthar, were built for the R.I.N.

Probably the only occasion on which two ships of the same class were named for the same man.