Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS DOLPHIN (and other places) - back in time.

Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

BillyNoMates said:
A well-old picture, just trawled up from the www. Boats all over
the trots.


Hi Steve/Billy,

Great Pic and it tells quite a story:

All neatly lined up by Numbers - Shore lines already off - Low tide (springs?) - Casings & Fins all manned ready to slip & proceed; against an incoming tide!
Not a harbour tug in view - I guess FOSM/Squadron Staff would have been watching like hawks....

Potential for many points to be lost or gained that day.

I reckon they would probably have the original Phot at the RN S/M Museum but it would be nice to know when it was taken:

mid twenties - early Thirties anybody?
 

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock
 

trelawney126

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

R12_CV said:
Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock
Fantastic. I did enjoy seeing the picture of "WreckerL" on the fin of No.25 :D
 

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

Have a browse through this list. There's a number of
old images of dockyards (Portsmouth, Gibraltar, Malta,
Plymouth-Devonport and Gosport-Dolphin). Loads of
other stuff that may be of interest to some. I'm bored
and have a 14 Hour Night-Shift to fill. Happy Sunday!

Here's another of a bunch of boats in Gibraltar, when there
was a 2nd Submarine Squadron based there I presume. The
depot ship might have been HMS FORTH? Answers please on
a £20 note to BillyNoMates c/o RumRation, The Web, England.



http://www.photoship.co.uk/Gallery Links/PHP.htm
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

R12_CV said:
Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock

Are you sure that it's not TS Foudroyant? I don't know where Victory was parked in Pompey, but that is pretty much where I remember Foudroyant being.
 

Polycell

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

Joe_Crow said:
R12_CV said:
Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock

Are you sure that it's not TS Foudroyant? I don't know where Victory was parked in Pompey, but that is pretty much where I remember Foudroyant being.
20/20 vision a Jim!!! Victory is to the left of what you reckon is Foudroyant(which ain't Foudroyant!).
BUFFS!!
 

Joe_Crow

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

Polycell said:
Joe_Crow said:
R12_CV said:
Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock

Are you sure that it's not TS Foudroyant? I don't know where Victory was parked in Pompey, but that is pretty much where I remember Foudroyant being.
20/20 vision a Jim!!! Victory is to the left of what you reckon is Foudroyant(which ain't Foudroyant!).
BUFFS!!

I think you think I was referring to the COSAS (Combined Steam and Sail) vessel above the fins of 46, 24, 47, 48, & 25 whereas I was referring to the three-master above the fin of 26. Foudroyant AKA Trincomalee was a three-master IIRC. Look before you leap.
 

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

trelawney126 said:
R12_CV said:
Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock
Fantastic. I did enjoy seeing the picture of "WreckerL" on the fin of No.25 :D

I was looking for you, you [email protected] Gimme me feckin' Steamin' bats back :twisted:

Edited to add ther's a few on here as well

http://www.oldships.org.uk/default.htm
 

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
The COSAS vessel is the Warrior (used for storing etc)
The vessel to its' left, tower's over the other mast's there (inc Trincomalee/Foudroyant if present). IF the Victory were in Dry Dock 2 (post '22) she would be visible close to Semaphore Tower. Not so!
 

lsadirty

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

BillyNoMates said:
Have a browse through this list. There's a number of
old images of dockyards (Portsmouth, Gibraltar, Malta,
Plymouth-Devonport and Gosport-Dolphin). Loads of
other stuff that may be of interest to some. I'm bored
and have a 14 Hour Night-Shift to fill. Happy Sunday!

Here's another of a bunch of boats in Gibraltar, when there
was a 2nd Submarine Squadron based there I presume. The
depot ship might have been HMS FORTH? Answers please on
a £20 note to BillyNoMates c/o RumRation, The Web, England.



http://www.photoship.co.uk/Gallery Links/PHP.htm

Think it's MAIDSTONE, FORTH had a bigger well deck. Next ship astern is TYNE, which served as Home Fleet flagship before becoming part of ORION (Reserve Fleet, Guzz).
 

Polycell

War Hero
Re: HMS DOLPHIN - back in time.

Joe_Crow said:
Polycell said:
Joe_Crow said:
R12_CV said:
Great pic. Love the variation of painted Pennant No's

It was taken before 1922.
The square rigger in the background (left) has got to the Victory. She was sat in Pompey harbour until '22 when she was moved into No2 Dry Dock

Are you sure that it's not TS Foudroyant? I don't know where Victory was parked in Pompey, but that is pretty much where I remember Foudroyant being.
20/20 vision a Jim!!! Victory is to the left of what you reckon is Foudroyant(which ain't Foudroyant!).
BUFFS!!

I think you think I was referring to the COSAS (Combined Steam and Sail) vessel above the fins of 46, 24, 47, 48, & 25 whereas I was referring to the three-master above the fin of 26. Foudroyant AKA Trincomalee was a three-master IIRC. Look before you leap.
As this photo was well before 1922 and Tricomalee aka Foudoyant didn't arrive in Pompey until 1932 it can hardly by Foudroyant and when she did arrive in Pompey she only had one mast.
 
BillyNoMates said:
A well-old picture, just trawled up from the www. Boats all over
the trots.



There’s More……..

At the left of the of the picture (between/above S/Ms 28 & 29) can be seen the old chain ferry/floating bridge: More pictures and history of Gosport Ferries at:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PortsmouthHFC.html#anchor35379

(incidentally, some of these ancient ferry photos also show the old raised railway running across Portsmouth Hard from the present station to South ‘Railway’ Jetty)

The chain ferry floating bridge service, between Gosport & Old Portsmouth Point, operated between 1840 & 1959, and local legend has it that the old chains snagged HMS VANGUARD whilst she was being towed away to Faslane shipbreakers for scrap in 1960.

Whatever the cause, she swung fully round and across the harbour, with her bows almost ashore at the Still & West pub in Old Portsmouth, and she blocked the whole harbour entrance off until the tugs finally took charge again…..There has got to be a good set of photos somewhere?


Straying a bit off-topic, but HMS VANGUARD was an ‘Old Ships’ of mine; even if it was only for a week’s SCC course before I entered the Andrew in 1960. So, although a SOF/OAP, I am entitled to spin a true dit about ‘my battleship time’ when the grandbrats become old enough to become interested in/bored by our last British Battleship!)
 

pompeymick

Midshipman
Can confirm it is HMS Victory, have seen the photo before and caused the same differences of opinion as is happening here also alongside South Railway Jetty is the old Victoria and Albert the old Royal Yacht.
 

oberon

Lantern Swinger
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp said:
BillyNoMates said:
Whatever the cause, she swung fully round and across the harbour, with her bows almost ashore at the Still & West pub in Old Portsmouth, and she blocked the whole harbour entrance off until the tugs finally took charge again…..There has got to be a good set of photos somewhere?

There was - still is? - a couple of pictures on the walls of the "Still & West" of Vanguard's bow towering over the pub.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Pompey News: Guided Tour Of HMS Dolphin - 10th September 2011 Submariners 1
J Trying to find a "Michael" possibly Clarke HMS Dolphin 1975 Social & Reunions 7
P HMS Dolphin Submariners 2
B HMS Dolphin Bases / Shore Est 81
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: "HMS Ledbury Returns Home From The Gulf" The Fleet 0
soleil Lochside Press: "Camilla Calls At Faslane To See HMS Astute" Submariners 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J HMS Talybont and HMS Cobra History 5
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS HMS Enterprise to deploy to Port of Beirut as Defence Secretary sets out package of support to Lebanon MoD News 0
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil FB: RN: Submarine Specialist Naval Reservists Join HMS Queen Elizabeth Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
C PRNC 15TH JUNE HMS COLLINGWOOD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
D HMS Surprise History 3
J HMS Collingwood leave dates UPO/Careers Office 23
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Loss of HMS Sheffield Current Affairs 3
WreckerL HMS Affray Submariners 3
D HMS Hermes Farewell Current Affairs 5
R HMS L10 History 2
N Warship Series 1 HMS Illustrious Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
soleil FB: HMS President - ‘Dunker’ Training At RNAS Yeovilton Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
R Phase 2 training at HMS Sultan Joining the Royal Navy 0
soleil Naval Technology: "HMS Prince of Wales to begin F-35 trials in January 2021" The Fleet 1
soleil FB: RN - Liverpool: 18-year-old Sailor Rhys Gets A Birthday Surprise From His Family On Board HMS Prince Of Wales The Fleet 0
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: Seven Sprightly WW2 Veterans Visit HMS Queen Elizabeth The Fleet 9
BillyNoMates HMS INTREPID - scrapping. History 0
BillyNoMates V(S)TOL, on HMS DASHER? Diamond Lil's 9
soleil Portsmouth News: "Weetabix Advert Stars Gosport Submarine Museum's HMS Alliance" Submariners 8
harbour_cotter HMS TRADEWIND WWII SUBMARINE Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh - A New Recruit By The Name Of Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil YT: HMS Northumberland The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
Similar threads


















































New Posts

Top