HMS Devonshire Ships bell

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Andrewwalters, Jul 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone Know the location or the owner HMS Devonshire ships bell? I was christened on HMS Devonshire around 1976 along with my brother and sister and our names are engraved on the ships bell.
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Enter Ships Bell into the search box (top right) there may be something there that will help you.
  3. This website might interest you, Andrew:

HMS Devonshire | Royal Navy Memories
  4. Having the same problem for H M S Andromeda bell see if she affiliated to a town or city if so check their hope this helps

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Ship's bells used to be (not sure if still) held in the trophy store in Pompey. Every years there would be a sale of them announced by DCI. I know this because I used to get the DCI's to look out for any of my brother's old ships as he wants one of theirs. I am guessing a ship that old would have had the bell donated to a museum/affiliate on decommish or may well have been sold in the manner I've described.
  6. Not as interesting as the DCI auctioning off the pussers rum ;)
    Sure wish I had gone for one of those old casks..
    Tax was about a months salary so declined.
  7. I presume you mean the Rum Barrel not the stone jars of rumin the wicker baskets! In Gib in the early 80's there was a "wine merchant" who bought up all the stocks of pussers finest from MOD(N) held in Gib and was flogging it off at a tenner a jar ... had 2 or three off him during my time there. My only regret is I didn't keep any of the jars!
  8. It was partaking of a jar of pusser's bubbly (in the wicker basket) that led to me spending a night as the guest of the Royal Military Police in Gibraltar on one particularly fine run ashore in the 80's. No sense of humour, those Redcap chappies.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HMS Devonshire Bell, along with the Honours Board, are at the Devon County Council offices in Exeter.
    I made an appointment to view around 5 years or so ago, when in the area.
    The council staff were very happy to oblige.

Joe. / Mark Helps.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer