HMS Defender moves in to her new home

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Jul 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. OK, I am slowly coming round to thinking these ships aren't a bad replacement for the Destroyers of old, but after reading the MoD piece, are they for real
    "HMS Defender, together with her five sister vessels, will form a formidable fleet"

Since when did 6 ships constitue a Fleet??? It's not even a Squadrn for heavens sake
  3. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Just done the delivery voyage on Defender. Steady as a rock. Bloody lovely ships, if a tad complicated, but as the class grows, the problems lessen (see also Type 42 and Type 23, readers). For 7-odd thousand tonnes, it is fairly nimble, comfortable in a sea state six (as it was on Sunday heading south under the edge of the cold front) and has buckets of room. The accommodation is wonderfully laid out (with the sixty inch TVs and surround sound in the mess square areas) and bunks that would make you cack yourself with the room in them. Anyone you hear complaining about them needs a six monther in 3P mess on a stumpy 42 to compare and reset their karma. Once the combat systems are proven, they are easily potent bits of kit. To all serving members - if you get the chance, get your arses to sea on one and have a look. To all non-servers and ex-es, try not to whine too much about the 'good old days', eh?

4. I've some good oppo's on there.
  5. 3P? Luxury. 3Q was where it was at, right over the props. Lovely.

The 45s are astonishing and before anyone starts banging the poorly armed 'fitted for but not with' drum, it's the same old story with every class of ship initially, this is no exception.
  6. I've experienced both 3P and 3Q on stumpy 42's. I thought that was luxury
  7. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Amen on that. They are fitted for pretty much everything. The 26s (and I've seen the initial plans for the concept vessel) complements the T45. With Sea Ceptor/Artisan fitted T23s and LPH/QEC capability, the need for an expansive, massive navy is a bit redundant. The whole idea is air/amphib cover in the littoral, and we seem to be going in the right direction.

8. Probably a similar condition to 3R on the Batch 1 22s above the screws. Jeesus, what a cluster fcuk idea that was.

Future (now past obviously) 22s had 3R as a naval store.
  9. As a member of the Green Navy that only required you sailor types as taxi drivers and helpers; they are undoubtedly capable but is the point not that there are not enough of them (or the other major surface ships) to form an operationally effective Fleet, that is capable of fulfilling HMG's foreign policy without resorting to deploying the RFA in place of a warship?

10. Levers

I was going on about the looks more than anything, not really a nice to look at war canoe.

The bigger point was 6 ships now considered a Fleet, really flotilla I can understand but no way a fleet. No matter how the politicos try to paint it 6 ships are not enough.