HMS Daring joins up with US carrier groups

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Just as well there are trials of the new working rig then. brushteeth
  3. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Wonder if they've managed to talk on any net other than VHF?
  4. Aldis lamp apparently!
  5. Pity she couldn't have been guard ship, with her helicopter !!!!!!! On the port bow of the Septics flat top at flying stations lol
  6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

The US don't use voice circuits, all on chat now. Honestly some people are soooo nighties man.
  7. You leave our nighties alone!
  8. Oh you cynics!
  9. wave_dodger

They only use CHAT because they can't remember how to establish HF circuits - they must be buggered when they play their satcom denied days (which I thought they were meant to weekly) - must just go somewhere quiet and lonely and park up until their SAT time is back on.
  10. Of course they could just do chat over HF? or maybe even send an email....... ...... over HF?
  11. wave_dodger

True, IP over HF is widely used by yachties and DSTL and QQ have both conducted numerous studies into its utility for war fighting but given its bitrate and todays war fighters thirst for information inc FMV I'm not sure it has much use except perhaps contingency?
  12. I want IP over everything! Bearer agnostic networking. Switch off or loose the satellite, re-route as required.

The geeks among you might be interested in this:

SCS-200 - M5 Network Security

2 comms threads in one evening - marvelous.
  13. Lots of work going on at the moment to improve the bandwidth of HF systems. It should be able to provide usable throughputs in a few years.
    For those interested in IP over everything I recommend having a read of ACP 200(C). Volume 1 gives a good introduction to the theory and concepts of Maritime Tactical Wide Area Networking and Volume 2 gets into the geeky protocols necessary to make the MTWAN work. The ACP can be a bit hard going and the Chapters vary significantly in style but overall its rather good.
  14. ACP 200 - One of the most under used books out there. A bit dated, but there is an update way ahead on the cards. As Oasis says though, a great starting point. It is a shame that when they split ot into 2 volumes they rushed it and left some chapters in the wrong Vol. It is on the internet if anyone wants to google it.