HMS Daedalus 72 Hunter crash??

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Friend looking for any info on the above XV381 Hunter?? crashed into the sea on takeoff?? Lee on Solent. Thanks

2. Scouse, this is all I could dig up, you'll have to scroll down a way. The crashes are listed by year.

Hampshire Crashes

3. Thats brill :wink: Looking for the Jockeys name!! hope he got out okay :roll:

4. Hi Scouse,

Don't know if this is any use, I've not had a great deal of time to read it. (Click to download - 6.5Mb .pdf)

[​IMG]

James

5. I was searching for some info about the hunter crash because I have 3 photos of the recovery which my late father possessed. He was Cdr Paul Malcolm Stevenson and was based at HMS Daedalus at the time, possibly MARTSU. He told me and my brothers that he went home to get his small ‘pram’ dingy and rowed out to locate the aircraft in thick fog. I hope you see this message as the post was started some years ago. My name is David Stevenson and I can be contacted at [email protected] if you are interested in the photographs. I would like to know a bit more about the incident too. I was 10 years old in 1972.
    Best regards

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

@InSolentDave

Hopefully scouse will pick up now. If you can post the pics on here I'm sure others would be interested

8. I was given a copy of "Fly Navy -The View from the Cockpit" 1945-2000" , which is a fascinating read even for a non-WAFU. It is effectively a compendium of anecdotes. one of which is by Lt Mike Sharp, a Buccaneer pilot serving with 809 NAS in the 1970s. This includes a dit within a dit, which looks very much like the Hunter crash of this thread. I've scanned in the page, and the relevant information starts about a third of the way down. I hope I'm not breaching any copyright; I'd better recommend that anyone interested buys the book......

To read the scan, you need to rotate the image - I could try to scan the original again but it might mean damaging an otherwise good book!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5