Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HMS COVENTRY 1982

lsadirty

War Hero
Quick heads up, National Geographic Channel (SKY 526, Virgin 230) is showing "Falklands -Sea of Fire" about the sinking of COVENTRY Sunday 2100,, repeated Monday 1300 and 1900.
 

2badge_mango

War Hero
Your reminder prompted me to watch the video that I have kept since the first broadcast. Stayed up later than I intended, but, this close to Remembrance day I thought it was pertinent, and it still moved me as much as it did on the first occasion that I watched it.
I still have a full glass, Here's to absent friends, lost oppos, and those who would have been included in the above had we known them.

2BM
 

brendan498

War Hero
I watched it on you tube,i thought it was as real as it gets,but as it is close to remembrance sunday its a fitting tribute to all our guys who gave there lives in those bleak Islands,and to all the guys still sufferring
 

Polycell

War Hero
I met up with an 'oppo' who was at his action station in the computer room on 4 deck? (sorry as an ex submariner on submarines with only one deck I'm not sure what deck the computer room was on!) when she was bombed.
He was walking thru the dockyard went we met in a pair of Nos eights at least one size to big for him saying that this was the only piece of pussers kit he owned which wasn't his but given to him when he was picked up out of the sea after he escaped thru the hole in the side of the ship the bomb went thru. He said he heard this god awful noise managed to open the computer room door only to be confronted by a wall of water he said "this looks serious" better get out of here!! He managed to find the hole in the ship as all the ladders had been knocked out and escaped.
 

brendan498

War Hero
well whether poeple crawled out of holes i cant give an opion on as i was not there, i know it happened on the Ardent, my experience was three hours later with the ATLANTIC cONVEYOR , i had tears rolling down my eyes ,as many of Alacritys crew , we would have recued Coventry we where to busy rescuing the Conveyor crew and trying to save our selvse. but we do and will remember them, it still hurts but im remebrance to them Brave giuys
 

tufty

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
I met up with an 'oppo' who was at his action station in the computer room on 4 deck? (sorry as an ex submariner on submarines with only one deck I'm not sure what deck the computer room was on!) when she was bombed.
He was walking thru the dockyard went we met in a pair of Nos eights at least one size to big for him saying that this was the only piece of pussers kit he owned which wasn't his but given to him when he was picked up out of the sea after he escaped thru the hole in the side of the ship the bomb went thru. He said he heard this god awful noise managed to open the computer room door only to be confronted by a wall of water he said "this looks serious" better get out of here!! He managed to find the hole in the ship as all the ladders had been knocked out and escaped.

I served the first commission on HMS Birmingham, same batch as HMS Coventry. The computer room was on 3 deck. As far as I remember it didn't have a"door". It had two hatches from 2 deck with a ladder under each. One from the starboard passage and one in to the aft port corner of the Ops Room.

According to the MOD Board of Enquiry (which is in the public domain now) and the Commanding Officers book, 'Four Weeks in May' all the computer room crew lost their lives.
 
I think you're getting confused with Sheffield. The Computer room crew came in for some very well deserved BZs in the official report for their efforts to get the command system back up and running. It cost them their lives as the majority succumbed to smoke inhilation.

Lest we foget!

An old chief from my time on the Exeter was at action stations in Coventry's stokers control room (sorry I forget the official room title) and he tells of a bomb coming straight down the funnel and taking his oppo (sat a couple of feet away) into the engine room below. Hideous

Tip your wrist to these guys on rememberance Sunday
 
D

Deleted 493

Guest
The bombs that hit Coventry:

One went in through 2 deck level downwards into the Conversion Machinery Room, below the Computer Room. It exploded, taking out all the ship's converted supplies. No matter what effeorts were put in, the command system was lost from that moment. It also opened out a massive hole into which poured hundreds of tons of seawater, which also flooded adjacent sections via shrapnel holes. The second and third bombs went in by the OUTs grot and one ended up down the Olympus Intakes, eventually destroying the Fwd Engine Room. One other bomb is believed tyo have ended up in the Forward Engine Room and partially collapsed the aft bulkhead, causing a lot of knock on hull failures and 'free communication with the sea' (as we used to call it). The ship very quickly lost it's reserve of stability, exacerbated by it turning and rolling.

Everyone in the Computer Room died on Coventry. The Conversion Machinery Room is the unluckiest compartment in Type 42s, with dockies killed in Glasgow in build, Coventry's problem and Nottinghams being flooded through a split in the side in the adjacent Fresh Water Pump Space. It's also frequently blooped by careless stokers.

Levers
 

werqpr

Lantern Swinger
I watched this programe today, very, very moving, words could not do it justice, as far as I'm concerned. Now more then ever I want to get through and be part of the greatest organization in the world!!
 

Polycell

War Hero
Levers_Aligned said:
The bombs that hit Coventry:

One went in through 2 deck level downwards into the Conversion Machinery Room, below the Computer Room. It exploded, taking out all the ship's converted supplies. No matter what effeorts were put in, the command system was lost from that moment. It also opened out a massive hole into which poured hundreds of tons of seawater, which also flooded adjacent sections via shrapnel holes. The second and third bombs went in by the OUTs grot and one ended up down the Olympus Intakes, eventually destroying the Fwd Engine Room. One other bomb is believed tyo have ended up in the Forward Engine Room and partially collapsed the aft bulkhead, causing a lot of knock on hull failures and 'free communication with the sea' (as we used to call it). The ship very quickly lost it's reserve of stability, exacerbated by it turning and rolling.

Everyone in the Computer Room died on Coventry. The Conversion Machinery Room is the unluckiest compartment in Type 42s, with dockies killed in Glasgow in build, Coventry's problem and Nottinghams being flooded through a split in the side in the adjacent Fresh Water Pump Space. It's also frequently blooped by careless stokers.

Levers
OK so my buddy was telling me a dit and is really dead!!
Sorry Brum you are now dead!
Why would he make that story up?
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
The_Jimmy said:
Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy on DVD?

There was a copy of the programme on UKNova a while back which I downloaded at the time and which may still be sitting on my hard-drive at home. PM me if you want to discuss further!
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Polycell said:
Levers_Aligned said:
The bombs that hit Coventry:

One went in through 2 deck level downwards into the Conversion Machinery Room, below the Computer Room. It exploded, taking out all the ship's converted supplies. No matter what effeorts were put in, the command system was lost from that moment. It also opened out a massive hole into which poured hundreds of tons of seawater, which also flooded adjacent sections via shrapnel holes. The second and third bombs went in by the OUTs grot and one ended up down the Olympus Intakes, eventually destroying the Fwd Engine Room. One other bomb is believed tyo have ended up in the Forward Engine Room and partially collapsed the aft bulkhead, causing a lot of knock on hull failures and 'free communication with the sea' (as we used to call it). The ship very quickly lost it's reserve of stability, exacerbated by it turning and rolling.

Everyone in the Computer Room died on Coventry. The Conversion Machinery Room is the unluckiest compartment in Type 42s, with dockies killed in Glasgow in build, Coventry's problem and Nottinghams being flooded through a split in the side in the adjacent Fresh Water Pump Space. It's also frequently blooped by careless stokers.

Levers
OK so my buddy was telling me a dit and is really dead!!
Sorry Brum you are now dead!
Why would he make that story up?

Maybe he was lucky enough not to be in the computer room at the time of the attack:

MOD Board of Inquiry into loss of HMS Coventry said:
12. The Operations Room, HQ1 and the Machinery Control Room (MCR) were put out of action by peripheral blast and smoke logging. Their crews were shocked and burnt but all escaped. The CMR, Computer Room, Forward Engine Room and Junior Ratings Dining Hall were devastated, killing all 16 occupants.
 
D

Deleted 493

Guest
FlagWagger said:
OK so my buddy was telling me a dit and is really dead!!
Sorry Brum you are now dead!
Why would he make that story up?

Maybe he was lucky enough not to be in the computer room at the time of the attack:

MOD Board of Inquiry into loss of HMS Coventry said:
12. The Operations Room, HQ1 and the Machinery Control Room (MCR) were put out of action by peripheral blast and smoke logging. Their crews were shocked and burnt but all escaped. The CMR, Computer Room, Forward Engine Room and Junior Ratings Dining Hall were devastated, killing all 16 occupants.
[/quote]

Indeed. To answer earlier questions, no, I wasn't on Coventry, but being as I was in the mob when all of this happened, ships and jobs I went to afterwards were populated by Coventry survivors who relayed their experience to me, first hand. I was also on mv Stena Inspector post war, and her sister ship, Stena Seaspread carried out saturation diving to rcover much of the classified and valuable equipment from the wreck. The divers relayed the extent of the damage to us on the Inspector. Coupled with that, I have had jobs that have been heavily involved with Type 42 systems, machinery, survivability and NBCD organisation. Much of Coventry's lessons were greatly highlighted in the content of these jobs. And not long ago I attended a superb lecture given by MEO of Coventry which detailed the attack.

levers
 

Polycell

War Hero
Levers_Aligned said:
.......Much of Coventry's lessons were greatly highlighted in the content of these jobs. And not long ago I attended a superb lecture given by MEO of Coventry which detailed the attack

levers
And?
As I said I am an ex submariner and in 82 I was in the dockyard when I met my skimmer chum.
I had and still have no idea of the layout of a type 42 destroyer but bow to your superior knowledge.
So what would a CE mechanician be doing on 3 deck at action stations? Because thats were he was. He mentioned, as I said, the computer room and why would I make it up cos as I said I had no idea that Coventry had a computer room least of all knew where it was.
So if any one on the Coventry knew the survivors from that area of the ship I would appreciate and accept your take on events.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
stan_the_man HMS Coventry MV Atlantic Conveyor today 1982 Diamond Lil's 5
stan_the_man HMS COVENTRY 1982 Lost medal Diamond Lil's 4
A A polite request for info ref Lt Cdr Glen Robinson Moltke HMS Coventry. Nearest & Dearest 4
trelawney126 HMS Coventry Memorial Tree and Plaque Current Affairs 2
F HMS Coventry memorial The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Four Weeks In May - The Loss Of HMS Coventry - David Hart Dyke - Special Offer History 1
trehorn Hms coventry - final resting place. History 1
soleil Telegraph: David Hart Dyke, The Captain Of HMS Coventry, On The Loss Of His Ship History 16
soleil Coventry Telegraph: "Sinking Of HMS Coventry To Be Made Into Cinema Film" History 22
soleil Coventry Telegraph: "Cross Of Nails From HMS Coventry Goes To RN's Newest Warship" The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News: "Portland Honours The Fallen Of HMS Coventry" The Fleet 3
bluevillain HMS Coventry History 4
T HMS Coventry History 0
onions HMS Coventry. Current Affairs 10
MoD_RSS HMS Audacious sails from Barrow MoD News 0
J Hms sultan start dates 2021 Joining the Royal Navy 3
Pandaplodder HMS Intrepid 1823 History 3
B Pre HMS Raleigh brief Joining the Royal Navy 13
MoD_RSS From Portsmouth to Odesa, UK and Ukraine naval cooperation on show as Ukrainian President visits HMS Prince of Wales MoD News 0
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
D HMS Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: "HMS Ledbury Returns Home From The Gulf" The Fleet 0
soleil Lochside Press: "Camilla Calls At Faslane To See HMS Astute" Submariners 7
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh 'HMS Raleigh Welcomes Capt Suzi Nielsen As Its New Commanding Officer' Bases / Shore Est 24
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh RN Submarine School - Torpoint Marathon To Raise Money For The Submariners' Memorial Appeal Submariners 3
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J HMS Talybont and HMS Cobra History 5
D Where is HMS Enterprise? Current Affairs 17
A 2.4km run at HMS Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS HMS Enterprise to deploy to Port of Beirut as Defence Secretary sets out package of support to Lebanon MoD News 0
J What happens after HMS sultan and where are you based Joining the Royal Navy 22
soleil FB: Forces News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Sails Back Into Her Home Port Of Portsmouth As A "Fully Trained" Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
soleil FB: RN: Submarine Specialist Naval Reservists Join HMS Queen Elizabeth Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Forces TV: Basic Training At HMS Raleigh: "We Can't Afford To Stop". Bases / Shore Est 7
C PRNC 15TH JUNE HMS COLLINGWOOD Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 38
D HMS Surprise History 3
J HMS Collingwood leave dates UPO/Careers Office 23
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil Cornish Times: "HMS Raleigh's Wartime Role Remembered As Latest Recruits Prepare To Pass-out On VE Day 75" Bases / Shore Est 1
A What happens after interview stage? How long do you have to wait till you get to HMS Raleigh? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
C Loss of HMS Sheffield Current Affairs 3
WreckerL HMS Affray Submariners 3
D HMS Hermes Farewell Current Affairs 5
R HMS L10 History 2
Similar threads


















































Top