HMS Cornwall Debacle - Commons Defence Committee's Report

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by thingy, Dec 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not sure if this be posted in Current Affairs, the Fleet or Naval History. Please relocate as appropriate.

The House of Commons Defence Committee have just issued a report condemning the decision of the MOD not to take any disciplinary action against civvies or service personnel involved in the Cornwall debacle earlier this year.

Report on BBC Online (14 Dec 07)

HC Defence Committee

Conclusions of the Report (HC 181, 2007-08 session)

Fourth Report of the Committee (2007-08 session) (HC181) - in PDF format
  2. yeah I heard something about this on Radio 1 news

They said it was an embarassment allowing them to tell their stories
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Wonder if father crimbo will get Arthur an Ipod......and Faye an exercise bike.
  4. Isn't Arthur still marketing cat food on ITV?
  5. Re: HMS Cornwall Debacle - Commons Defence Committee's Repor

Hello Norm Nice to see you back
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I think I detect some spin - 'allowed them to tell their stories' - I got the distinct impression that it was Govt policy to get ratings' stories out as being more credible accounts of their treatment than putting out a Govt/MoD statement. Uproar was then such that those who had not actually signed contracts with the media were then stopped from doing so. At least that's what I inferred - for 'allowed' read 'encouraged' but that would put a MoD press minder on the mat and we can't have that if he's a civilian, can we? Becauise that would point the gun not at a L/hand and an AB but at the MINISTER.

It's the rich wot gets the pleasure, it's the poor wot gets the blame.
  7. Jack the spacka good to see another Norman mask
  8. Re: HMS Cornwall Debacle - Commons Defence Committee's Repor

Yea, second that seaweed," let the lads take the flak for it".(literally and metaphorically) that was some peoples answer.(not mine, thank god they are all safe with their families this crimbo and f4ck the bad publicity.

If that boarding party had opened fire, they would have been (a) killed.(b) started a fight with at least the third set of middle eastern peoples in five years, probably not the greatest move ever (c) been outside there ROE?? if they had fired first?? Yes, outside, arguably. (And boy would it HAVE BEEN ARGUED ABOUT). Sorry, hit the caps lock button.

Not a massive amount of politicians volunteering to resign/be disciplined over the 100s of f£ck ups recently viz foot and mouth, northern rock, two discs lost, summit signings, nimrodgate, cash for peerages (allegdly not).
    So why should an AB or little MOD minion take the lash??

Anyway, me spelling and grammar are going, something to do with it being Saturday night and alcohol - Im off to the ball, have a good night lads - Nostris.