HMS COLLINGWOOD

x4nd said:
shoots said:
Hi am new, could anyone reading tell me where the cap tally for HMS collingwood is centred on ones JR cap.
not sure if its I or L's
cheers

shoots
Not sure if you’re having a laugh, if so, I bit. It’s over the N of Collingwood.
As there are 14 letters and a space in the cap tally, I would suggest that the centre is the second L.

Semper Strenuissima.

Polycell said:
Oh yea just before I left I had to change sex to a bloody POWEM(O) what was that all about a WEM(O) and the WEO wondered why I wouldn't sign on for a 5th five god help us as I said once before sonar maintainers up the forends chucking torpedoes about REMs fixing my sonar sets ROs fixing their hair need I go on.
That was the day the Navy and the Electrical dept hit rock bottom.
And whats this 'Rubber Road' they keep wittering about.
What happened to Anson drill shed, Slop Alley, the jewelers shop that a certain OEM we had on the Intrepid broke into, the White City, The Ring Main building, the Main drag, The Collie Club, The Ace Of Clubs, Cheese and Wine parties in the POs mess, go karting on the parade ground. I as killick of the 160 messes Fire messes remember them you ODs?
Know the feeling :twisted: Went to sleep as an LOEM woke as killick stoker :twisted: WTF

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
onions said:
x4nd said:
shoots said:
Hi am new, could anyone reading tell me where the cap tally for HMS collingwood is centred on ones JR cap.
not sure if its I or L's
cheers

shoots
Not sure if you’re having a laugh, if so, I bit. It’s over the N of Collingwood.
As there are 14 letters and a space in the cap tally, I would suggest that the centre is the second L.

Semper Strenuissima.
:oops: That would be me being duty knob and only counting Collingwood not HMS Collingwood. :oops:

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
Good forbid our forends had UWs and a TI!!
WEM(O)s did the CEM type jobs sonar weapons and comms all that good stuff. No wonder my POCEL buddies went thru for Grocer!!!
So what happens now? What is happening to the OM branch? Is it defunked?
As of April this year the OM branch ceased to be. It was replaced by the ET branch.

So whats an ET the mind boggles? Are we back to proper Greenies or is it another cost cutting measure? Give these people two weeks in Raleigh call them a strange name teach 'em to march. Send 'em to sea hoping the manufacturers have built the kit 'to last' and it'll stay alive and well for ever.

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
So whats an ET the mind boggles? Are we back to proper Greenies or is it another cost cutting measure? Give these people two weeks in Raleigh call them a strange name teach 'em to march. Send 'em to sea hoping the manufacturers have built the kit 'to last' and it'll stay alive and well for ever.
I might get this slightly wrong because I joined up post EBD REM etc. An ET is a bit like joining up as an REM, doing LREM course, doing Mechs course, and ending up as an REA (or R Mech). The higher your rate, the greater your technical training. They should receive basic electrical training before joining the fleet.

x4nd said:
Polycell said:
I might get this slightly wrong because I joined up post EBD REM etc. An ET is a bit like joining up as an REM, doing LREM course, doing Mechs course, and ending up as an REA (or R Mech). The higher your rate, the greater your technical training. They should receive basic electrical training before joining the fleet.
Sounds a bit like the old Mechs branch they that joined up as Mechs what ever happened to them? Well thats OK for the radio world what about the rest?

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
Sounds a bit like the old Mechs branch they that joined up as Mechs what ever happened to them? Well thats OK for the radio world what about the rest?
I have no idea what happened to the Mechs of old, it was all before my time. ETs are split broadly into two, WE & ME. This is split yet again into WE & WESM and ME & MESM.

Right so here is the question:
EMs became CEMs or OEMs
OEMs became WEM(O)s or MEM(L)
CEMs became WEM(O)s (no bloody choice!)
So what happened to WEM(O)s do they still exist?
So what is an OM? and what does he/she operate?
So when OMs came in there must have been WEM(O)s WEM(R)s about did they become OMs?
Confused old submariner!!

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
Right so here is the question:
EMs became CEMs or OEMs
OEMs became WEM(O)s or MEM(L)
CEMs became WEM(O)s (no bloody choice!)
So what happened to WEM(O)s do they still exist?
So what is an OM? and what does he/she operate?
So when OMs came in there must have been WEM(O)s WEM(R)s about did they become OMs?
Confused old submariner!!
WEM (O)s still exist. CPO and I think PO (WSM) went back to being WEM (O)s when ETs came into being. All submariner WEM (O)s became OM (WSM)s. WEM (R)s had a choice to recat or not. Most of this is now history now that the ET branch exists.

WTF??
Annoyingly I and many of my contempories left the MOB due to being made to cross train from RO to OM(C) (you'll never get your hook if you stay as an RO etc).
Back at sea as an OM(C) I continued to wear a sparkers badge (stores had no OM(C) badges at the time) and was listed onboard as a RO - much to the annoyance of my knob of an RS. Spent most of my time back on the Signal Deck/in the MCO but was occassionally sent to 'work' in internal comms / Greenies office whereby the chief WEM would give me a doodle bug!!
It was a shower, best of all was trying to get ex-ROs to do dabber part-of-ship (we'd also been sent on a two week dabber course)!!

Glad they've seen sense and float-tested it. So are we back to dabbers, ROs and greenies then, under whatever new name they've come up with?

Back on thread, at Collingwood did used to enjoy the sports make-and-mend in the bowling alley opposite the main gate; but nowhere near as much fun as Mercury..!

bit of a thread wander but someone mentioned on the first page about "shovelface".

saw the old chap in the library last week still made me want to hide in fear behind the erotic fiction section. still had the walk/swagger about him

Lingyai said:
sootblower said:
HMS Collingwood - I will stand corrected but isn't it the Maritime Warfare School now? At least the guys & girls have MWS on the cap tallies now.
Anyone remember White City and "Shovel face" in the 1980's?
Who could forget shovel face, he could strike fear in the heart of the devil himself. Also remember the WW2 style accom at pelican road and the southern club, also who could forget the bop slags from fareham (sorry if any readers are married to em, yours is different).
Yike, shovel face! five thousand men on parade and there he is, eyes locked front, never moving a nerve and this voice would grate out "Fifth man in, centre rank, eighth row, second column. STOP MOVING!" And he could spot a failure to salute across the parade ground in thick fog on a moonless night.

I always remember that bloody bike of his, he even rode that at attention. One day I am maingate guard and up he marches arm swinging shoulder height, the other gripping the mangled wreck of his bike in perfect parade order. As I chopped him one off he snarled "Laugh and they will carve it on your headstone!"

Harks to back to Collingwood Urban myth
Cocky AB mincin across parade ground, all over sudden from across the other corner comes,
THAT MAN THERE, YES YOU SCROTE, DONT YOU SALUTE NAVAL OFFICERS.
NO SIR CANT BE ARSED
WHAAAAT DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM
NO, DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM
NO
WELL **** OFF THEN
As AB hightails into Marlborough bldg

Ah the days when Collingwood was the home of the Weapon Engineering Branch, roundly hated by every WEM, and WEA. If that place wasnt such a hellhole Im sure the retention in the WE Branch wouldve been a lot higher

Plus I use to work Colly Committee as a lad and use to check the fareham lasses in on the Gate. Those Bop IDs were astoundingly hilarious when flicking through them. Anyone remember Frog head?

The temporary blocks got me, been there donkeys years, probably still are? One burned down because of the garbage chute, gash in it caught fire, so they boardered up the chutes and rebuilt the block, with a brand spanking new garbage chute.

But come on, there were some laughs, like test firing the STWS while a squad of Wrens were marching past! Get it right and you knock off every cap and create a brown stain half way up the main drag.

My first giggle came in comms, we were shown this set I have never seen since and it had a bloody big metal strap that had a butterfly nut on it and to switch it from aerial to dummy load you unscrewed it and twisted it round to the terminal and screwed it back. The Chief Instructor demonstrated then switched the set on, then he said "Of course you never try that when the set is actually on, that would be incredibly stupid!" So he turns back to the set and grabbed the nut, flew nicely and hit the wall with quite a thud. We agreed it was probably not a good idea to try it!

the_matelot

War Hero
The new SLAM accommodation is very smart at Collingrad-all ensuite ala Travelodge for the SR's. I think the JR's have the same if they're on career courses (Not Part/Phase 3) but I'm not sure.

No doubt, someone will mention how it was 4 PO's to a cabin in their day... etc etc :roll:

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
the_matelot said:
The new SLAM accommodation is very smart at Collingrad-all ensuite ala Travelodge for the SR's.
Not all Senior Rates though - if you're transit / weekend you still end up in the old non-en-suite cabins in Vivian block (or did up to about 10 months ago); also if you're on a short course (2 weeks), Central Bookings will try and accommodate you in Vivian by default unless you push back and ask for one of the Gucci blocks.

the_matelot said:
I think the JR's have the same if they're on career courses (Not Part/Phase 3) but I'm not sure.
There are also some JRs in some wings of Vivan block - for RNR weekends this can lead the situation where CPOs end up sharing a cabin in Vivian block around the corner from a corridor full of ABs in single cabins - the only perk that we seem to have left is that we can fall over the road into the bar/dining hall rather than walking half-way round the camp.

Latest Threads