HMS COLLINGWOOD

CRYSTALTIPS

Lantern Swinger
Dont they have Inglefield block there anymore?? That would be our home during our OM1's course!!

Whats the name of the block you start off in on your OM2's.
Cant for the like of me remember it. I know it starts with a "B"!!!!!!!

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
CRYSTALTIPS said:
Dont they have Inglefield block there anymore?? That would be our home during our OM1's course!!

Bryson Hall. It was the LWEMs accom when I did LWEM(O)s course in 1992 but was OM2s accom when I was on Mechs course.

CRYSTALTIPS said:

God whats this bloke talking about?
What happened to Howe, Rodney sections for the killicks Fisher for the Tiffs etc?
And whats a OM2? Ordinary Muppet 2nd class?

i was there in pelican road in 1975 then back in 79 for killicks course. there was more people on duty in collingwood that you as ships company on a 42. the biggest buffers party inthe world, what a place........... also had shovel face as gunnery officer on bachanti F69 in 76.

Hi am new, could anyone reading tell me where the cap tally for HMS collingwood is centred on ones JR cap.
not sure if its I or L's
cheers

shoots

mickyboy said:
i was there in pelican road in 1975 then back in 79 for killicks course. there was more people on duty in collingwood that you as ships company on a 42. the biggest buffers party inthe world, what a place........... also had shovel face as gunnery officer on bachanti F69 in 76.
Micky . We were there at the same time! I went back for killicks course 79 !! Waiting to join the Tiger In Malta.
Killick of the Southern Club, Blue card ,space invaders all day :lol:

It did'nt get any better than that :wink:

Ps What happened to Matapan block ?

tufty said:
Ah ...! Collingwood - this picture warms my heart. Note the well equipped fire party. At that time, a lot of Collingwood was wooden huts covered with tar and creosote and when they caught fire, the fire party NEVER got there in time - they wouldn't have been able to - even if they had wanted !

http://www.s61.org/photographs/collingwood/fireinmatapan.htm

Does anyone remember marching to instruction in the pouring rain with your burberry folded over your arm because the QM hadn't put the "burberries may be worn" flag up?
I did my part 1 in 55 half of the class disappeared to air , rems with some officer types upper yardsmen, the rest went to do part 2 at Chatham. went back in 60 the huts were still their but they were talking aboutputting a S.R. mess at the end of the parade ground.

neppy said:
tufty said:
Ah ...! Collingwood - this picture warms my heart. Note the well equipped fire party. At that time, a lot of Collingwood was wooden huts covered with tar and creosote and when they caught fire, the fire party NEVER got there in time - they wouldn't have been able to - even if they had wanted !

http://www.s61.org/photographs/collingwood/fireinmatapan.htm

Does anyone remember marching to instruction in the pouring rain with your burberry folded over your arm because the QM hadn't put the "burberries may be worn" flag up?
I did my part 1 in 55 half of the class disappeared to air , rems with some officer types upper yardsmen, the rest went to do part 2 at Chatham. went back in 60 the huts were still their but they were talking aboutputting a S.R. mess at the end of the parade ground.
Jeez neppy white city must have been state of the art modern buildings when you were a sprog :eek:

Is someone going to tell me what an OM is? What happened to EMs REMs then CEMs and OEMs and REMs Was it to techy for the next lot to come along?

Operator Mechanic, introduced in the early 90s for a number of reasons.

In theory they were trained to both use and look after the kit, able to do first line checks and simple maintenance on the watch before calling out a SR.

In practice they were over-loaded, and since training was delivered just in time they were less able to take on additional responsibilities in the same way that you'd have expected source branches to do.

As a system it had it's good points, but overall I'd say it failed. Part of that was resistance from senior rates as co-ordinators. The first line maintenance point didn't happen, Ops Room Supervisors were too keen to call out SRs to change lamps and fuses etc rather than let the OMs on watch actually do the basic fault finding. WEs frequently didn't employ them in a way which coached them, treating them as toolbag carriers more than anything else.

But all that is now history as of last month.

Didn't we have Operator Maintainers before Greenies? And wasn't the reason they formed the Electrical Branch and then the Weapons Electrical Branch due to the fact the kit became to complicated for a bloke not only to operate it but fix it as well?
Second Sea Lords team need shafting with the blunt end of the rag mans trumpet!!
When I was the Sonar maintainer on a P & O boat I, like the rest of the non Clanky senior rates used to watch keep on the surface on the plot navagating a submarine and when dived on the planes or CEP. We were carried primarily as control room watchkeepers and as maintainers a secondary responsibility. Which meant after 'six on' we had to fix our kit as I was the only sonar maintainer carried I relied heavily on the operators skills to figure out other ways of using the kit in its 'duff' state using what ever method available to keep the kit up and running therefore keeping skipper of both our backs. The UC1 on the boats I pushed around were a godsend.

Ah, the memories. Only have good ones. From joining as WEM living in Pelican Road 1980 (just loved polishing the deck with the yellow solid polish). To Plate block as WEM(R).

LWEM(R) course in 1984 staying in Matapan. I remember seeing Shovel face getting on a bus from Fareham with his new Ironing board. The bops at the SARC with local (and not so local) nurses. Hmmmm :oops: :wink:

Returned in 1987 for ACIC (Mech) course, what a change in 3 years. Malborough building, rubber road, no marching :?: :roll:
Excellent 2 1/2 yrs.

And what will probably be my last visit for CCPO (WO2) course in 2002. More big changes with Leadership school and Communicators now in place. :!: :!:

Never the less only fond memories and good times :p :p :p :p :p :p

Oh yea just before I left I had to change sex to a bloody POWEM(O) what was that all about a WEM(O) and the WEO wondered why I wouldn't sign on for a 5th five god help us as I said once before sonar maintainers up the forends chucking torpedoes about REMs fixing my sonar sets ROs fixing their hair need I go on.
That was the day the Navy and the Electrical dept hit rock bottom.
And whats this 'Rubber Road' they keep wittering about.
What happened to Anson drill shed, Slop Alley, the jewelers shop that a certain OEM we had on the Intrepid broke into, the White City, The Ring Main building, the Main drag, The Collie Club, The Ace Of Clubs, Cheese and Wine parties in the POs mess, go karting on the parade ground. I as killick of the 160 messes Fire messes remember them you ODs?

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
Polycell said:
Is someone going to tell me what an OM is? What happened to EMs REMs then CEMs and OEMs and REMs Was it to techy for the next lot to come along?
Polycell, so much has happened to Collingwood and the RN since you left. I joined in 1986 so don’t know too much about times before that, but have a little idea. I think it was 1979 when things first changed. R/O/CEMs became WEM Rs, WEM Os and MEM Ls. In 1992 (I think) OMs came into being, they were both Operators and Maintainers.

When I joined, an O boat fore endy was a WEM O. When OMs came into being, the O boat fore endy became an OM (WSM). This has just changed again; an OM (WSM) is now an ET (WESM).

x4nd

Lantern Swinger
shoots said:
Hi am new, could anyone reading tell me where the cap tally for HMS collingwood is centred on ones JR cap.
not sure if its I or L's
cheers

shoots
Not sure if you’re having a laugh, if so, I bit. It’s over the N of Collingwood.

Good forbid our forends had UWs and a TI!!
WEM(O)s did the CEM type jobs sonar weapons and comms all that good stuff. No wonder my POCEL buddies went thru for Grocer!!!
So what happens now? What is happening to the OM branch? Is it defunked?

Latest Threads