HMS Collingwood

dt018a9667

War Hero
sandygib said:
Yes the washing and ironing conversation has been had a few times. Once exams are done Dad has threatened to teach him how to iron - waste of time me trying to teach him - never quite got the hang of it! Another life skill to thank the navy for, along with the ability to sink endless pints, talk drivel but still stay on his feet and always find his way home!
That description of your other half is one of the better I have seen in a long time! Still it is probably correct if my memory of Matelots is right.
Once a Matelot allways etc.

geoffrey said:
NozzyNozzer said:
I could have done with my mum at Ganges! She'd have been much better at the dhobeying, ironing, etc, than I was. And my dad could have protected me from being being bashed in by some of the staff. He'd have probably ignored the ear twistings by the POGI on the Parade Ground though - my (then) big ears probably invited those!

As none of the brutality of of 1959-60 Ganges occurs in contemporary Raleigh though I don't think Sandygib's son has much to worry about... apart from kit musters!
At the risk of offending (and I PROMISE there's no offence meant, Nozzy!) ...

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=757/start=60.html

:wink: :wink: :wink:
I'd forgotten saying that. Plead guilty and ask for dozens of other "G..." offences to be taken into consideration. :oops: :oops: :oops:

To paraphrase Shep Wooley during one of our reunions: it's amazing that everyone hated it so much they want to natter about it! I bet Nicolson's dad never mentions it at home! :wink:

sandygib said:
Yes the washing and ironing conversation has been had a few times. Once exams are done Dad has threatened to teach him how to iron - waste of time me trying to teach him - never quite got the hang of it! Another life skill to thank the navy for, along with the ability to sink endless pints, talk drivel but still stay on his feet and always find his way home!
Perhaps this is the golden opportunity for dad to teach both of you to iron?

Only the RN can teach your son the finer skills of matelothood: naval dhobeying, drinking civvies under the table* and talking tosh, learning an extensive new naval (and non-naval) vocabulary, sleeping like a sardine and the fine art of stowing lots of immaculate kit in a remarkably small space :wink: When he comes home on leave you can get son to do all the washing & your husband to do all the ironing.

*If your son is UA (under eighteen) then he'll just have to settle for drinking the local teetotalers under the table with milk! :lol:

Had a chat with the boy last night and he is gutted they have got to do PT today and also have a Kit Muster on Thursday!!

Told him that the bullshit doesnt always end at Basic Training!

And to Quote you Nozzer,if I mention anything about my time in the Mob at home I get shouted down,I reckon they are just jealous. :lol: :lol:

On another note,he told me last night that they get a months Summer leave,and to be honest I cant quite believe that is true,anyone out there can fill me in on the details please?

Hi Nicks,

Collingwood usually gets 3 weeks summer leave - or they did last time I was there a year ago. Raleigh usually gets 4 (!) but no Bank Hols.

TattooDog said:
Hi Nicks,

Collingwood usually gets 3 weeks summer leave - or they did last time I was there a year ago. Raleigh usually gets 4 (!) but no Bank Hols.
Yeah cheers for that,he told me he is off from Aug 4th til Aug28th,so 3 weeks it is.

Mind you I swear I only got 2 weeks leave maximum in Summer?

dt018a9667

War Hero
TattooDog said:
Ah yes, but that would have been in the days when leave was a privelege, not a right :)
Ages since I heard that statement, and that was from our friendly local (yes you’ve guessed it) crusher.