HMS Collingwood Open Day inc. Field Gun Comp 5th June 2010

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cheers Soleil, I might well potter along to that.

I realise that they aren't quite the same as the 'proper' Field Gun teams, but it should still be a decent day out.

2. You're welcome.

Yes, it should be a good day.

I've put one or two articles on Rum Ration about the HMS Ambush crew recently. They are going down to it.

3. Re: HMS Collingwood Open Day inc. Field Gun Comp 5th June 20

Oh they're still out there!

I posted this on ARRSE in '07:

As of 2010 they have new(ish) sponsors and look to be kicking off again!

http://www.pafg.co.uk/events.htm

The funeral was my cousin's, and he's the one narrating on the video.

Field Gunnery - the true extreme sport!!!!

4. Re: HMS Collingwood Open Day inc. Field Gun Comp 5th June 20

Nice one :wink: :wink: Barney Barnard on my last commission ran for Pompey, also we had two on the Vic that ran for the FAA Ralph Whitworth and Spanner Spencer. Top men all 8)

5. Was in watching some of it this afternoon and the first three runs of the competition. It was very, very hot today with temps up around 24 degrees Celsius.

Not sure of the exact timings as I cannot remember them, but Pompey Naval Base ran the fastest time in their second heat (1.20), Collingwood A crew had a 1.22 and Sultan A had a 1.23.

HMS Ambush did okay and averaged around 1.26 if memory serves me right and HMS Campbeltown are also running fairly well in their heats.

7 Air Assault (Army) are doing well as usual and are sure to be in the mix come the finals tomorrow.

I cannot remember many of the other times, 23 teams are competing, but the RNR are sure to be in last place at the moment as they are struggling big time.

6. Re: HMS Collingwood Open Day inc. Field Gun Comp 5th June 20

The RNR didn't do too bad. We managed to get into the second plate, with a best time of 1.29... not bad when you consider we only had 2 weeks training compared to the 7 weeks of other teams. Unfortunately lost a pin in the final run which really mucked the run up.
    Andy