HMS Cochrane

My experiences of Cochrane, and Rosyth in particular, begin in 1971/2 as an REM1 for Repulse's first refit. I lived in Cochrane until MQ on Grampion Place came up. Back again in 1975 for LRLC, (a Collingwood outstation in those days). Back again later the same year to finish Revenge's first refit as LREM. Joined Resolution in refit in 1982 as RMech1 and became an instant tiff when they decided that only the French should have mechanicians. Left there the following year to go to Greenwich for the knives and forks course. Lastly accompanied Renown as she limped into refit in 1987, never to leave again. All four R class bombers and all in the kingdom of Fife. I hated the place every time, the only saving grace was Edinburgh's close proximity.

Edit was necessary to put second "s" in class.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
LujonSA said:
My experiences of Cochrane, and Rosyth in particular, begin in 1971/2 as an REM1 for Repulse's first refit. I lived in Cochrane until MQ on Grampion Place came up.
Lived in Grampian Rd or Grampian Court as a rug-rat during Repulse's first refit - Dad was a CPOOA in the MC.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
exploding_blancmange said:
Ninja_Stoker said:

Served there 88-91 as Fireschool Instructor - we were nails in them days. The day I joined it was still pitch black dark at 08 unicycle, donut, & there were trays of burning diesel under the firemain pipework that surrounded the fireground to stop the fresh oggin freezing in the pipes. There were plumes of smoke billowing upwards (this was before we invented/started global warming) & the FCPOMEM greeted me outside, dressed in pussers green "Skidmaster"wellies, yellow oilskin trousers, braces at the short trail & with only a pussers hand-knitted string vest atop on the day I joined as a brand new PO stoker. The snow hit me like a sand-blaster horizontally, chilling me to the bone. "You'll like it here" he said smilingly, blinking to stop his eye-lids freezing together, without a touch of irony, his hand-rolled fag frozen to his upper lip as he spoke. I half expected him to continue "On Fridays, we even let you use tepid water to make a cup of tea". It took me 4 years & two Gulf deployments to get warm after that draft.
I think I might have been instructed by you!!!
I took the 1 day RNXS firefighting course at Cochrane.....
30 odd assorted civvies arrayed before the Chief, he went apoplectic.
had us doubling everywhere, when he first said "at the double", we all looked at him puzzled, "at the double? ".
"It means you F**CKING RUN"
20 minutes later.
Decked out in Fearnaught, BA and size 12 wellies, he still had us doubling everywhere, just so we remembered what it meant. Also, cured our hangover from the night spent in Inverkeithing.

Great fun though, had my head slightly above the water wall when they threw the diesel mix in, that dried out my flash hood and hair v. quickly.
Greenie said:
Did a F/fighting 12 hour refresher at Rosyth when the Firemen were going to go on strike ---Green Goddess crews training .

Started at 2000 and finished in the morning -- the school trainers were
all arsonists --mad as fcukin hatters and the inferno's were awesome .
Good laugh anyway-----gave up smoking for a couple of days so as to get my lungs back to normal

Happy days -- :thumright: :thumright:
Yep them were the days.

Once a year we used to do a course for the Booties (SF) before they raided the Oil Rigs. The snag with the Royals was they wouldn't bother to cool the compartments down before entering, they'd just hoof the door in and stamp the bloody infernos out, dragging all 5' 8" of me behind them, crisping the tops of my ears in the heat. The hoses appeared purely auxiliary & were just a bit of ballast for them to slow them down a bit, or so it seemed to them.

We used to do one day RNR courses one weekend per month as well as the occasional RNXS. The RNR used to come over from Caroline, Dalraida, Calliope, Eaglet etc., & all used to get hammered the night before the courses, so we used to warm it up so's they didn't catch a chill as they got over their hangovers.

I remember Phoenix staff coming up to give us an inspection and they walked away shaking their heads, drawing sharp intakes of breath like a plumber about to give an expensive quote - apparently the namby-pamby Southern firefighting schools no longer hurled buckets of flash (kerosene & petrol) onto the deckheads when the firefighting teams entered the units to create a fireball. Wealth & Safety or something.

Seem to recall a bearded RNR Commander (although he didn't have any badges on his fearnought suit) coming out of the unit, eyes glazed, with a fixed grimace, foaming at the mouth, a trifle traumatised. He was treated fairly, given a good verbal & shoved back in. Later discovered he was Procurator Fiscal in his day job.

One of the funnier moments was during the safety brief given by one of the LMEMs, Joe, a fine Yorkshire man who managed to get more "F's" per sentence than you'd have thought possible. He asked if anyone had any breathing problems: Up went the hand & Joe asks "What's the effing problem with you then?"
"Got half my lung shot away in Korea" came the reply.
"No problem" says Joe "Your BA will last twice as effing long then, won't it?"

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
Brought the Hartland Point back from Singers after she was relieved by Triumph as FMU - had a paying off pennant half a mile long. What's this got to do with Cochrane? Well, that's where she ended up, squashed between Girdleness and some other hulk. We got a spot of leave in Pompey on the way but it was no fun going up the North Sea in thick fog watchkeeping on an open bridge ! All I can remember about Cochrane was the scran was great and they piped everything with a call. Oh, and the long walk over that ****ing big bridge when you couldn't afford a fast black to get back.

McCloggie

Lantern Swinger
I did the RNR fire fighting course at Cohrane many years ago!

Am I right in thinking that the NBCD School closed down for a bit because some of it actually burnt down or is this just another rumour/dit?

McC

Correct, it used to suffer the steelwork of the "Unit" burning through quite regularly, leading to much rewelding/rebuilding! Also seem to remember an RNR rating, who , on decending from the top of the "unit" managing to step into the tray of burning fuel on the bottom of the ladder, then tripped, and sat down in it! Fearnought suit tested ok, but melted the valve handle of his BA!, and scorched said suit all up the back!

Tanzi said:
Brought the Hartland Point back from Singers after she was relieved by Triumph as FMU - had a paying off pennant half a mile long. What's this got to do with Cochrane? Well, that's where she ended up, squashed between Girdleness and some other hulk. .

Tanzi,
Wasn't that Duncansby Head? First time in the Mob that I ever had to sling a hammock every night. Took twice as long after a good run ashore. ^_^;

First went to FMG in '81 as a young MEM(L) my first contact with the sweeper navy and realising how deep the rangers/celtic hatred ran in some people. My DO's intro was 'the scottish national pastime is drunkeness-dont get caught'. Didn't go weekend that often due to living in London. I eventually got used to all day drinking. Lion club brings back memories booing off gash acts including Les Gray of Mud. Standing gate watches in the sentry box freezing my nuts off, while the permanent gate staff stayed in the warm unless a scrap broke out in 'agromat' post bop
Scrubbing out the fishholds of the trawlers and loading them with pig iron to go down south. Fleet club and the gang of 3badgemen that would drink in there. Got filled in outside the DYC for being english
Picking up jock and geordie mannerisms in my speech and having the piss ripped out of me when I did go home by my Londoner mates
Great scran and 9 'o'clockers, gash accommodation
Done 2 other stints in the late 90's and 01 in refit on the Middleton and Iron Duke rushing to get the airport bus, the 2nd time because we got 5 day weekends every other week I drove to pompey because I was only up there 3 months. Victualled in Cally which was a dump and no-one there gave a shit about the place Had to spend a boring new years eve duty in Lowden building watching the tumbleweed blow round the dockyard and refit shed
The other weekend afew of us stayed so used to have at least one major pissup
Cochrane is now long gone and it is a continental ferryport

shellbackmac said:
If you walk along the coastal path from Limekilns towards the Dockyard it still looks 'Navy' with 7 nuclear boats tied up, all 4 polaris boats and 3 SSNs.
I would love to get up there and have a walk round my old boat again but I suppose all the Health and Safety crap would kick in.

Anyway of getting to find out ?

Jockroach said:
The worst thing I remember about Cochrane was the Regulating branch there. Tossers to a man. for some reason they hated everyone. the crusher when I left from there was the most obnoxiuos (spelling) arrogant pr1ck I ever came across in the mob. Sarcastic as fcuk even when I was going round for the 2 weeks with my demob routine. get a haircut before you go lad. (get a life you fcuking pr1ck)
I remember the Reggies at Cochrane, I was working on the wagons with them for a month, and all they used to do was stitch each other up for speeding or not filing in the daily occurrence log properly. That was when they were in the unit, on rounds they enjoyed looking out for drunken sailors to lock up. I was on HMS Edinburgh for 3 years before taking her into refit in the mid 90’s and had to live in Cochrane for the 9 months; this was just before they started to pull her down. I remember the messes designed for 16 but luckily only ever had 8 men in them while I was there; some of them even had bars in. Most of the beds had their springs removed and had to be tired up with pieces of rope or had old locker doors on them so you didn’t fall through. After Edinburgh came out of refit I was drafted to FOSNII down the hole at Pitreavie (used in the Dam Busters film), helping run the small ships training and the yearly JMC. I was a soft southern tw*t according to the jocks and Geordies, I lived in Doncaster at the time and would go home whenever I had leave, but I still remember going to the DYC and the Gladya Inn before heading off in to town. I spent many a forenoon skiving in the Siscos by the main dockyard gate having a late breakfast of a square sausage & black pudding bap with a can of Iron Brew trying to get rid of my hangover. Great night outs, great breakfast’s, lousy hangovers.

McCloggie

Lantern Swinger
Thank you Dunkers!!

Not to worry - still managing to get round Orchard Towers and Duxton Hill on the zimmer and the LBFMs are soooooooo helpful!

McC

Tanzi

Lantern Swinger
ORACLE said:
Tanzi said:
Brought the Hartland Point back from Singers after she was relieved by Triumph as FMU - had a paying off pennant half a mile long. What's this got to do with Cochrane? Well, that's where she ended up, squashed between Girdleness and some other hulk. .

Tanzi,
Wasn't that Duncansby Head? First time in the Mob that I ever had to sling a hammock every night. Took twice as long after a good run ashore. ^_^;
No, definitely HP, still got my cap tally. Or do you mean the other hulk ?

No more getting up on Sunday mornings
No more scrubbing decks or sloping awnings
Pack my kitbag and my grip
I aint going on another trip
HP bye bye

Harry1

Lantern Swinger
Cochrane was my last draft in the Andrew. Was a sparker watchkeeping down the Pit on weeks about, if it worked out for you, you got 18 weeks off a year. Even if it didn't you still got 12. Remember Castlandhill as well that bloody great SWAB8 transmitter that had a broom stick with a copper top to earth it before you retuned. Have to say it was a good final draft with the Lion Club and the Wee Club for Sunday DTS, Inverkeithing during the week and Edinburgh at the weekends, didn't see much of Dumps but was told I visited it a few times, must have been in a timewarp or something.
Even the food wasn't bad during the time I was there (1971-73) so that was a bonus.

Was at LRG in the late 80's, remember that when you entered Cochrane gate from the dockyard you had to take off your foul weather jacket, even if it was absolutely [email protected]@ing down. There was always a Reggy stood there waiting to check you boots were clean and that you took off your jacket.

How pathetic, our SNO had a right sad on with them.

Remember the food wagons everywhere in the dockyard and that weird choice of:

Sausage in a roll or roll in a sausage. Two different choices LOL

old_fart

Lantern Swinger
Cochrane was my first draft after leaving training when it was HMS Nigeria although I lived and worked at MHQ Pitreavie. HMS Cochrane moved to Donibristle following the closure of the Naval Aircraft Repair Yard. I left the Girdle Ness in February 1962 in Rosyth on its return from the Med via Devonport.

Oh the Gladger, on YORK in 90-94 we were Daddy D and the other jock 42s hated us the lads off YORK used to drink up early and leg it to the petrol station and buy every oggie.sausage roll and pie so they could see of the feckers from the other 42s . GLASGOW had a mean ships company EDINGBURGH was always in dry dock with a dodgy shift - no wonder the scousers built it.

Re: HMS Lochinvar

Hi, i wonder doe's any body remember my brother Chico Murray who was based in lochinvar 1971-74 and was on the committee of the flotilla club, and i believe he enjoyed the company of one or two of the local popluce in south queensferry, sadly he is no longer with us but he always spoke very fondly of them days

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Bases / Shore Est 0
C The Quarterdeck 3
Jenny_Dabber Bases / Shore Est 31