HMS COCHRANE @ Donibristle. Fife

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by CEYLON220, Sep 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any member remember being billeted at the old RNAS Donibristle and it being renamed COCHRANE in 1959 and if so do they have any photos of the main entrance gate or the Quarter deck, we were billeted in the old type wooden huts and transported down to the Rosyth Dockyard each day,tried for ages for photos of the place but keep getting ones of the new base outside of the dockyard,.
  2. I worked as a Writer in the Pay Office at COCHRANE when it was the old RNAS Donibristle - from 1961 to 1962. Well remember living in Edinburgh and travelling every day from Waverley Station to Inverkeithing and then by bus to Donibristle. Before getting a flat in Royal Crescent in Edinburgh, had 6 weeks in the wooden huts - remember the baths were in another block away from the warmer huts!

Like you have tried to get the same pictures as you with the same disappointing result

First (and last) time I've been surrounded by Dunfermline and Raith Rovers fans!
  3. Ah, Raith Rovers. I remember a BBC commentator saying after one of their infrequent successes that there would be , "dancing in the streets of Raith tonight"