HMS CITIZENSHIP (the ship you join when you leave the mob)

Are you happy serving onboard HMS Citizenship?

• NO, I hate it. Can I rejoin the mob?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UNSURE at present.

• I like some things but not others

• Total voters

ShippersD142

Midshipman
Re: HMS CITIZENSHIP (the ship you join when you leave the mo

I left the RN Mar 04 after 29 years, The only thing I miss is the people, Friends, Oppos

Luckily I too found employment fairly quickly and yes there was a drop in pay but after a couple of years Im backup there again and earning even more.

Looking back I think I left at the right time No ships, No personnel, longer deployments and more issues to deal with.

It may seem sad to say but I think From 74-2004 I had the best of what the RN had to offer.

Its also not until to leave that you realise how many transferable skills you have and take for granted. The civilian empoyer when employing a service person - He is getting sometimes a Rolls Royce for the price of a mini but it gets better

trust me

RP1986

GCM

I’m due to leave the RN in 3 months and 2 days after 22 years (but who's counting?).
I'm looking forward to being a strawberry but I’m a bit nervous about finding a new job and being in married quarters I also have to find somewhere to live as well.
I’ve sent my CV out to lots of companies and agencies over the last month or so and not one reply, why is it all you hear just before you’re due outside is “there’s hundreds of jobs out there for ex-service people, you won’t have any trouble getting one†still I’ll keep trying, 3 months before I really start to panic. :thumright:

sparkerbuntingnowcis

Lantern Swinger
Due out next month, leave on a Friday start new job on Monday. Can't wait.
Will miss the runs ashore, but will be working with ex-servicemen so banter should be the same hopefully.

5dits

Lantern Swinger
sparkerbuntingnowcis said:
Due out next month, leave on a Friday start new job on Monday. Can't wait.
Will miss the runs ashore, but will be working with ex-servicemen so banter should be the same hopefully.
Just out of interest matey, what are ex sparker/bunting/cis doing on the outside, have 3 years left in myself?

sparkerbuntingnowcis

Lantern Swinger
5dits, doing a commcen job in London. 10K a year drop in basic pay, but shift allowance and a second pension accumulating. So when I finally retire should be okay financially. Taking 1 step back to move 2 steps forward.

RP1986

GCM

RP1986 said:
I’m due to leave the RN in 3 months and 2 days after 22 years (but who's counting?).
I'm looking forward to being a strawberry but I’m a bit nervous about finding a new job and being in married quarters I also have to find somewhere to live as well.
I’ve sent my CV out to lots of companies and agencies over the last month or so and not one reply, why is it all you hear just before you’re due outside is “there’s hundreds of jobs out there for ex-service people, you won’t have any trouble getting one†still I’ll keep trying, 3 months before I really start to panic. :thumright:
Well i've handed my ID card back last week and drove through the Dockyard gates for the last time. We move out of MQ's next month and into a rented house, (not going to buy one at the moment with the way the housing market is). I put my CV on lots of web sites and applied for what seems like hundreds of jobs. No joy for over two months then i got a call from a gent who works for a small agency saying he saw my CV on a web site and thought he had the perfect job for me. True to his word within a week i was sent for by a company in London and had a two hour interview (the first one in 22 years). The last thing the interviewer said was "we'll let you know" I travelled back down south and had to wait for 5 days for the phone call that informed me "yes you've got the job" :dance: :boogie: so now i've left the Navy and start my new life with a new home and a new job earning more money, i hope things carry on going from strength to strength but who knows, time will tell. :thumright: For those people leaving the Navy in the near future it is one of the must nerve racking things you are going to do but stick with it and something will turn up in the end.

RP1986

GCM

Heath and Safety Advisor, Yes i Know 80% of all ex-force go down this route but it's good money and imho it's better then being a security guard or stacking shelves, but they were the next choices if this job hadn't come along.

RP1986

GCM
clanky said:
Good luck in the new job shippers. I'm outside next year, really looking forward to it.
Thanks, don't forget if you haven't got a job to go out to, put your CV on every relevant job web site. There are some people that will waste your time but if you're lucky, as i was, someone will spot you and give you a call.

willh

Midshipman

left the mob in 71,and never been idle since,bp tankers, ocl,came ashore in 83 to be there for the conception of our 3 daughters.had no trouble gaining employment in aus,still going strong at 60 ive found that as soon as employers see 21 years at sea on my cv they make there minds up there and then,not sure why,but my present job i was 55 at the interview and thought shite im up against 26 younger people here but heck i got the position,mind you they do seem to have a lot of respect over here for ex forces,anzac day is a hoot,but thats another story.

Gombear

War Hero

savehaslar said:
i have just left the mob and i ca honestly say i love it the bullshit that surrounds the navy drove me to leave fair enough u mite say ur in the military but... the RN simply did not feel like military unless u where a trainee or the last week of OST. i like the face i dont have to shave or get my hair cut cos some nozzer with a crown on his shirt thinks he is better than me cos in civvy street i can smak him other wise id be at the shiny door with my cap
Bearing in mind your attempt at writing the Queen's English, have you been offered a job yet? :bball:

RP1986

GCM

RP1986 said:
RP1986 said:
Well i've handed my ID card back last week and drove through the Dockyard gates for the last time. We move out of MQ's next month and into a rented house, (not going to buy one at the moment with the way the housing market is). I put my CV on lots of web sites and applied for what seems like hundreds of jobs. No joy for over two months then i got a call from a gent who works for a small agency saying he saw my CV on a web site and thought he had the perfect job for me. True to his word within a week i was sent for by a company in London and had a two hour interview (the first one in 22 years). The last thing the interviewer said was "we'll let you know" I travelled back down south and had to wait for 5 days for the phone call that informed me "yes you've got the job" :dance: :boogie: so now i've left the Navy and start my new life with a new home and a new job earning more money, i hope things carry on going from strength to strength but who knows, time will tell. :thumright: For those people leaving the Navy in the near future it is one of the must nerve racking things you are going to do but stick with it and something will turn up in the end.
Just thought i'd update this posting. I had the above named job for a hole 3 months before being made redundant, still the week after i was offered a new job in Wales and the money's good. I’m earning 2.5 times more a year then i was in the mob, the only thing is it's contract work and it might only last for 6 months. Still if the next contract job pays like this one I don't mind working a new site every six months.

clanky

War Hero

RP1986 said:
RP1986 said:
RP1986 said:
Just thought i'd update this posting. I had the above named job for a hole 3 months before being made redundant, still the week after i was offered a new job in Wales and the money's good. I’m earning 2.5 times more a year then i was in the mob, the only thing is it's contract work and it might only last for 6 months. Still if the next contract job pays like this one I don't mind working a new site every six months.
What industry are you working in?

willh said:
.........came ashore in 83 to be there for the conception of our 3 daughters.quote]

Did you manage that in one sitting, so to speak, or did you have to have a bit of time in between?

Gombear said:
savehaslar said:
i have just left the mob and i ca honestly say i love it the bullshit that surrounds the navy drove me to leave fair enough u mite say ur in the military but... the RN simply did not feel like military unless u where a trainee or the last week of OST. i like the face i dont have to shave or get my hair cut cos some nozzer with a crown on his shirt thinks he is better than me cos in civvy street i can smak him other wise id be at the shiny door with my cap
Bearing in mind your attempt at writing the Queen's English, have you been offered a job yet? :bball:

My head hurts trying to read that quote!!! Bet he wears a hoodie too?

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer

nozzynozzer... we should combine sites, we seem to be on the same subject.. see 'afterlife-resettlement and jobs'. Maybe more people will get involved.

UXBDIVER

Badgeman

Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Gombear said:
savehaslar said:

My head hurts trying to read that quote!!! Bet he wears a hoodie too?
LOL, this is priceless.

I think what SH is trying to articulate, and if I may be so bold to translate:

SH has recently served his notice having elected to PVR.
In his honest opinion he is very pleased with his decision as the seemingly foolish bureaucracy surrounding the Navy convinced him to leave.
He excepts that this bureaucracy is intrinsic to military life however was only evident to him as a trainee or in the last week of OST on board a ship.

He enjoys the freedom of not having to conform to a strict set of rules and is pleased with his appearance especially his face.
He no longer needs to shave or get his hair cut because he is told to by an unsavory member of the regulating branch who may think that he is higher up on the social ladder and discriminate against him accordingly.
In civilian life he would be free to assault this individual and not be accountable for his actions.
In the Royal Navy he would be subject to disciplinary action which would involve a meeting with the CO holding his cap?

RP1986

GCM

clanky said:
RP1986 said:
RP1986 said:
RP1986 said:
What industry are you working in?
I'm working as a Health and Safety officer on a building site. At the moment there are 2ooo bods working here. Phase 1 ends at xmas and then they'll be letting about half the lads go, i might be one of them. Oh well thats contract work.