HMS Cheviot

Discussion in 'History' started by steven seagul, Nov 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello salty types.

First time I've ventured over to the darkside of the network so shoot me if I'm in the wrong place.

I've got a work mate who's trying to find out some info on his Grandfather who served on the aformentioned tub. Can anyone chuck me some links where he can find out about the chap, photos of the Chaviot etc?

The chaps name was Jack Codman (possibly able seaman) He says he's looked in the national archives already.

Cheers SS

2. Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. Nice one Wrecker, cheers for that

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The Life and Exploits of a Maltese Sailor: Amazon.co.uk: Danny Marks: Books includes a chapter on the author's life as a junior Engine Room Artificer on board HMS Chaplet (sister ship) 1946-48.

Discover HMS Cavalier (1944), Second World War Destroyer, Chatham, Kent HMS Cavalier is the last C-class and can be visited in Chatham.

I served in HMS Cossack for about two months in 1957, when like those of the other Cs retained by the RN she had had been refitted with a Squid ahead-throwing antisubmarine mortar in place of X gun, but she still had her torpedo tubes. Tough little tub, we spent a while in the middle of a typhoon in the S China Sea which was educational.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Here's Cossack in the Johore Strait:

[​IMG]

6. Your friend can apply for a copy of his grandfathers service record via the Veterans UK Website. There is a £30 search/copying fee, and I am told that due to popular demand there is unfortunately an estimated 12 weeks backlog.

Link: service records sar form requests

SP.

7. Keep it coming lads, all quality stuff. The tight ****** went green at the thought of parting with £30!

I've made him aware of this thread so feel free to make up stories of his grandad noshing off ladyboys and catching clap.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  8. Since your friend is so tight that he squeaks when he walks, and to save him having to part with £30, he might try asking his family whether any of them actually have his grandfathers original service documents, since his grandfather would have been in receipt of them when he left the service.

SP.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't knock it until you've tried it, Mr. Shitehawk... :wink:

10. Tell the tight git those nasty matelots on RR want £100 consultancy fee (or I do as I answered first).

11. Who's knocking it? I must say I prefer the throbbing girth of a fijians veiny treat myself. More suck for your buck.....

Mr Wrecker, he's now been shown the thread so he can have a shufty at the links. I assume he'll be chucking some cash to an appropriate charity or I'll shit in his desk draws. You listening Mr Codman?