HMS Caroline visit

Discussion in 'History' started by Pvivax, Jun 21, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I paid a visit to the ship last Saturday after its 14 million pound restoration. The museum has done an outstanding job on HMS Caroline from bow to stern. There is an extensive audiovisual and interactive experience with a strong emphasis on the Battle of Jutland naturally. The ship is very accessible by virtue of lifts between decks for those who require them. The exception being - the engine room and upper bridge possibly. Good cafe and a decent gift shop on board too. Very well worth a visit if you happen to be in Belfast. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Those 2 fwd gun mountings, bugger manning them in any heavy seas with someone shooting at you :eek:

3. Looks very smart.
    In comparison HMS President (formerly HMS Saxifrauge) has been towed away to make room for the new London Sewer Tunnel. I have heard that her keel is so soft that dry-docking may not be possible, therefore future is uncertain.

4. She does indeed BH,sailing up and down Belfast Lough many times and looking at her she just looked like a rusting hulk. I'm so glad that this unique piece of history has been preserved.

5. Wouldn't disagree with you there Wrecks,incidentally those guns which are replicas were manufactured in Belfast - I think quite a bit of the restoration skills needed were sourced locally.

6. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Thanks for posting. Looks wonderful. I'll be getting out there as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I have found a YouTube link to a BBC programme by Dick Strawbridge and his son James about the restoration of HMS Caroline. Worth a watch.

Pv