HMS Campbeltown

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Royal Tea, May 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been lucky enough to secure a visit to the recently decommissioned Type 22 Frigate, HMS Campbeltown. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to both further my Naval knowledge, and interact with personnel in my chosen field.

My question to you all is, will parts of the vessel have already been removed or will she be as I have seen her recently in the media? Also how soon after decommissioning do they start the process of removing equipment from the vessels?

Your help is much appreciated.

RT

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

RT,

It depends entirely on the future of the vessel. I could expand , but Mrs Oggy's giving me shit for being on the computer still.. I'm sure you can work it out.

3. Farmers union is best to interact with,they will lots of fields to choose from. Plus if you ain't somalian,you might get the whole shabang,for about 280,00-300,00. Think its fair to say most of hull below waterline will be intact. Mornin T.O. long time no sea.

4. Thanks for the advice T.O. There is not a lot of information available though.

Capt, I have heard that they are one of the better unions to interact with. Unfortunately, I fear that they will know very little about Naval logistics, which is a shame given their impeccable track record!

5. tiddlyoggy

RT,

I now have a little more time to answer your query. If your visit is soon it should all be in tact, as far as I know the future of Campbeltown has not yet been decided.
    If you're lucky, sep86 will pop in who was/is serving on her at the moment, he should have a good idea of her condition and what fate awaits her.
    Enjoy it though, a chance to see one of the best ships the RN has had for years.

6. tiddlyoggy

Morning indeed capt, do I know you, or was the last bit of your post as random as the rest?:confused5:

7. Totally random T.O. just exchanging greetings,well past sell by date for R.N.,but intersted in R.N. still. saddened to see the R.N. shrinking,and ships that look to be in good shape for years of service paid off. i would be interested in why you say Campbeltown is best ship in R.N. for years tho., always thought the ship you was on was best , sorta thing.
    Anyhow Campbeltown Etc do look sleek,and going back in time if you check out HMS Matapan,after her conversion,i hope you can see were the bow shape comes from, for many years, were the nuke complex is in Guzz, was all open oggin,and full of Reserve ships! type 15 /16 , battles etc, , One in particular was HMS ROBERTS, i helped destore her,was a real treat, to go into the main armament turret,it was spotless., the turret was offered to the Imperial war museum,but weighed around 1500/1800 ton, and where they are now sited,is above a tube station,so the nation lost the turret.
    Just a wild guess,but i reckon all those ships with the 'C' prefix,will see further service ( Chile?)
    BTW, in my day the best ship in the Fleet was USS CAINE,that is until i became its skipper an lost mi marbles!
    hope you enjoy my post, if not,just tell me to sod off.

8. tiddlyoggy

Capt,
    I was referring to batch 3 22's as the RN's best ships for years (capability wise) not Campbeltown in particular (I've never served on her).
    There are some ships I have been on that certainly weren't the best ship I've had at the time though!!
    Edited to add; I'll have a look for Matapan on line, but, personally, I find the shape of stretched 22's kind of reminiscent of the County Class GMD's.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  9. Thank you for the information T.O. it is much appreciated. I am very excited about the visit and realise how lucky I am to be given the oportunity to view this fine vessel. I will let you know how the visit goes and what state the old gal is in.

RT

10. Just looking at Campbeltown now out of my office window and she looks to be completely intact, guns, trackers and the likes still there. Not sure how far the internal stripping down has got. As my mate Tiddly said Batch 3 T22s were the best ships in the fleet.The only one I didn't serve on was The Cumberland.

Are you back in Guzz Tiddly?

11. 604217.jpg

Nice looker

12. Nice look.

Attached Files:

13. There you go again with your sarcastic drivel, no wonder newbies are put off coming on here. Why don't you take it to lil's and confine your sensless whitterings to one place.
    Still you mention you de stored the Robert, that gives me hope. You must be about 70 so you may well die soon and then we get some respite from your piss soaked dribbeling.

14. 2DD, he is fine, I was able to look past the un helpful information!

Thank you for the update on the vessel FSprog! It is good to know that most of the weapons systems remain intact. I am so excited!

15. There you go TO

[​IMG]

16. And before you bother to put the target around it Joe, it was already done for real.
    Bastards.

17. Single bedstead.....pish .:laughing2:

[​IMG]

18. HMS_Norfolk_(County_class_destroyer).jpg

Double bedstead

19. Thats the second batch, the Dev was poor and could only afford One.

20. I don't think they ever had a double and single in the same port at the same time, so the stokers could find their way back onboard.
    That's right innit Mossy:laughing2: