HMS Campbeltown

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Cspook, Jan 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have recently seen HMS Campbeltown departing fresh from her Scottish refit. She is now sporting two great strakes along the hull similar to those seen on the Batch III Type 42s. Is anyone able to say what they are for. On the Type 42s they were for strengthening the hull after Phalanx had been fitted in place of the boats. I served for a long time on the Batch II Type 22s but there never appeared to be problems with the hull - Is it something to do with age or the fact that the 4.5 was fitted on the Batch IIIs creating extra stress? Just seems a strange addition so late in her service life.
  2. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

On the 42s, it was more to do with the torsional stresses on the centre sections than the addition of Phalanx. 42s are notoriously weak in way of the funnel area and if you look at any of the ships you'll find inserts by the ME Workshop door, Chippies shop, above the Olympus Intakes and various other areas on the fwd superstructure. Batch 1 and 2s were fitted with box-section beams along their outer waists which served to channel seawater down the waists to the cross passageway not allowing it overboard. Batch 3s had the shaped swages put in place outboard to counter this and to combat torsional stresses. I worked on Gloucester in C Lock back in 1986-87 when she was having them fitted and she had the twin 30mm BMARC guns up on the sponsons.

3. Thats true is that. I remember seeing the box sections being fitted to Sheffield (Batch 1 42) when it had its first refit around 79/80. This was way befre Phalanx.
  4. The Box girders on the T42 Batch 3s were required because (believe it or not) when the design was lengthened, they forgot to increase the section modulus to compensate for the increased bending moment, not really anything to do with Phalanx.

The T22 batch 3s have also always had a bit of an issue with strength, but now they're going into Class, Mr Lloyds has required strengthening in way of the focs'le break. Don't forget, the older the ship, the heavier it gets and the bigger the bending moment.
  5. I'm surprised the old girl made it out of refit to be honest, she was proper f*cked when we took her in. A good ship though, a damn good ship. God's own.
  6. Thanks for these replies. What is the significance of "Going into class"? Is this for all Rn ships and does it relate to insurance - I thought Lloyds classification related to Merchant vessels.
  7. Levers_Aligned

Fair shout, but the original Type 42 design was for the stretched 'Manchester' version anyway. It was shortened because of a cost saving meaure, and the hulls re-lengthened after Nottingham when they discovered the speed was compromised and seakeeping was very poor on the stumpies.

Manchester was laid down as a Batch 2 and rebuilt as a Batch 3, which is why she and Gloucester are different compartmentally.

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...further to the above, I am lead the believe that the Type 42 project was the original proposed plan to replace the GMDs but was put on the back burner as it did not meet the Command platform requirements at the time, so the Type 82 (Bristol) Project was used instead. After it became apparent that most of the budget for the whole project had been spent on one vessel - and naval committments/requirements had also changed - the Type 82 plans was cancelled, and the smaller/cheaper Type 42 platforms were reasessed and approved for Fleet procurement. And yes, the stretched T42 was the original design, to allow for a larger Sea Dart capability.
  9. Yeah, the batch 2 and a half is a bit special! The longer one may have been the original design, but bear in mind, they didn't develop the steel drawings (and hence scantlings) other than the indicative m/s section properly until they'd settled on the stumpy. The steel drawings for the batch 1 and 2 reflected the design bending moment for that ship - the scantlings were never beefed up when they put the length back in for the batch 3.
  10. Ah the venerable Type 42,
    Never mind the length or strengthening.
    Having read the recently released report into the loss of HMS Coventry, I was most shocked to see that any serious water ingress above 2 deck was potentially fatal as they wer'nt water tight due to all the holes around the pipes and wires passing through the bulkheads. How did I miss that! Doh!!
    Stil I loved serving on them.
  11. Levers_Aligned

There was a massive programme of rewiring and re-sealing, post-Corporate. That said, Coventry was opened up to the sea in many areas below the waterline and given her rate of settling, they could have stopped up every gland and cranny with Henleys and it would have still gone over. Three decent hits and maximum damage issued. Their Ops Officer said that no one who survived the original impacts died within the ship, and speaking to many survivors I knew, they did say that the automatic matelot sense of perspective did kick in pretty damn quick when it was obvious they were going to lose the ship.

12. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

There are two distinct "Lloyds" connected to shipping - there's Lloyd's Insurance and Lloyd's Register. Lloyd's Register is an independent safety assurance group that oversees the design, build and maintenance of ships to class rules to give confidence that the ship remains safe throughout its life; the register is now including warships I understand. There is absolutely no organisational, management or commercial link between Lloyds of London, the insurer, and Lloyd's Register of Shipping.

FW - former engineer surveyor for LR
  13. Well she's in great nick now. As has been pointed out, a full structural survey was conducted during the refit and nice new bits put on where needed.

Another bit from NN here:
  14. That's good to hear. There's always going to be a place in my heart for that sleek grey messenger of death. First ship, first deployment etc etc

I take it you're on there then? Could you possibly PM me some rough details abot the ship's programme for the next year or so?
  15. Were you on-board when the Old Man refused to allow video players on-board and the fact that the mess-decks weren't allowed to be made more homely. The dit I heard was a mini rebellion (possibly from the zoo...)" shouting "The Cumberland's got videos..."
  16. Haha, I'm not that salty! I'm from the age of DVD players and Playstations. Was lucky to have a great Skipper and a great Jimmy for most of my time on there, as well as an ******** Jimmy and Skipper combo for the first year.
  17. "....DVD players and Playstations..." Bl00dy luxury, in my day blah blah :)
    Cheers shpmate
  18. Serving on another T22 at the moment, i heard the Cornwall has taken over the Campbeltown's programme as she is that F**ked. Including a deployment later in the year.............
  19. :cherry: I know fcuk all about Campbeltown the ship;- 8) but did stacks of pissing up and shagging in Campeltown the place :p However it's spelt.