HMS Campbeltown C.O.

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Jenny_Dabber, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right folks,

I should know this one huh but I have [email protected] for brains! I was having a discussion with an old ship amte of mine and we had a discussion about the good CO's we once had.

Now the one I thought was worth the time was on the Campeltown until it ran aground in Sept 2001 (Tromso, Norway), which he then resigned as the Cambpeltown's CO, due to 'health reasons'. Now, if we have any brain boffs in here, can anyone remb his name?

I don't care what anyone says about him and that ship running aground, it was an accident that couldn't be avoided, unfortunately but that C.O. was 1 in a million and not a stuck up git!

2. My bold
    What, both of them?

3. JD,

Was it Capt Alistair Halliday? ( A million apologies to him if it wasn't!!!)

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

'twas him. Real shame, long story though - and I think Ned Kelly was the NO??? Didn't exactly hurt his career he is a 1* now.

5. Yes, that's him, really into his running, you couldn't stop him, he went out every morning and evening. Top CO and one of the crew! We use to love evening rounds at sea, if he was doing them, would come and sit in the mess for ages and natter away.

I think he had a problem with arthritis and in the end got to him? Can't remb exactly but we all did miss him when he left.

Tall guy with silver hair, ever so friendly.

6. Indeed, lovely chap. Very approachable and trusted people to get on with things.

I had dealings with him a couple of times in the last year or so. He had the poisoned chalice of JPA implementation.

7. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

And the point of this thread is????

Moved to the gashbarge.

8. I believe you had 1st lt at one point- LT CDR Arrow- went on to be CO of montrose?

9. Yeah he was a really lovely CO.
    After he left the ship when it ran aground i wrote him a letter to see how he was getting on. He wrote me a really nice letter back saying thank you for the support we all gave him and that it was nice to hear we were all thinking of him.

The Navigator that was on the bridge at the time of the ship running aground was on that Documentary the other year called "Ship Mates".

10. I remb when the tow line snapped on the FX, amazing photo in the local newspaper, made a centre spread lol

11. Hardy was a good CO as well from what I remember of him.

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Obviously a good man, they erected a monument to him but a few miles from where I sit at this very moment :dwarf: