HMS BULWARK ARRIVES IN LIVERPOOL

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Backpacker1uk, Feb 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Welcome to the European City of Culture 2008.

Can I have a go in your helicopter Mister it had been a long time!!

[​IMG]

2. I know she'll have a cracking time up there :)
    Can't wait until we go back. There's no better eye-opener than actually going to the place that you have misconceptions about, as I found out. Cracking run with some very friendly people :)

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Oh dear, are there Booties on board? Standby Mathew street.

4. Found out to late for a look see on board!

http://www.bulwarkassoc.plus.com/index1.htm

HMS Bulwark (L15). She has been in the UK since her refit. Some association members enjoyed a voyage on her, (details below). The ship is visiting Liverpool on 9th February, then onto exercises with Albion, HMS Cornwall & Royal Marines of 3 Commando Brigade & 45 Commando.
    HMS Albion (L14).

After 18 months in the vanguard of Britain’s amphibious forces, the ship has handed the flagship ‘baton’ to her sister warship in time for winter war games with Bulwark etc. in northern Norway.
    Our 2008 AGM & Reunion Dinner is booked for HMS Nelson, Portsmouth, on Saturday 10th May. All are welcome as usual.

The other main association event this year is an official visit to the National Arboretum at Alrewas, Staffordshire, on Saturday 27th September. Standard bearers, local RNA & Sea Cadets from TS Bulwark (Buxton) & TS Centaur (Dudley) will be in attendance.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Bulwark is currently alongside the New Ocean Liner Berth (Floating landing stage), about 400 metres north of the Liver-Buildings and a magnificent site she is too. (Pictured above, she's being towed before berthing)

Far better she's berthed by the city centre than several miles out in Huskisson or Canada Docks several miles north & away from the public gaze & one costly hike for the ships' company.

Sadly she's not open to the public, but school/college visits have taken place, despite the fact the ship is mad busy.

Last week HMS Severn was in the same berth and hosted several school trips which I accompanied and have nothing but praise for the way in which the crew hosted the visiting children- there were Officers, senior rates as well as ratings giving up their time (Friday afternoon, too!!) showing them all around.

Much as we all know it's a pain for the visiting ships, the goodwill & recruiting interest generated is nothing short of excellent.

6. HMS Lancaster is supposed to be here somewhere as well, hope shes not lost? Beautiful pic of Bulwark though, pity the Port of Liverpool Building is covered is scaffolding, but hay - you can't have everything.

Give us a shout when you're next up our little river Lamri and we can arrange a night out with us part-timers!

7. Ninja_Stoker

are you sure that you kept a good eye on your little darlings when you took them around the ship over the weekend.... or is it just a pure fluke that the engines don't work anymore.....

:twisted: :twisted:

8. The Lancaster had a handfull of RNR's on board providing UDS's. I was one of them. First real opportunity to do the job i've been training for for two years.

My thoughts. I was bloody freezing and ached like hell after the long morning and long afternoon watch's.

I take my cap off to those who have to do it on a regular basis.

The ships company were a sound bunch too.

Thanks for your hospitality fella's, much appreciated.

9. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

We had a lovely visit to Liverpool. I went home to Manchester so it was even better. And I did not have anything stolen - win!

A busy weekend in Liverpool - Bulwark, Lancaster and an RFA (name escapes me).

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RFA Fort Rosalie in Birkenhead, left 11 Feb 08...

[​IMG]