HMS Bruce

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by dunkers, Jun 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What was HMS Bruce in Fife - a boys' training establishment?
    I knew a guy who went there (aged 14 I think - this was in 1948) and just wondered if there was anyone here who went there.

2. Hms Bruce is the old Hms Jackdaw at Crail. Its still there as a drag racing
    strip and a sort of small industrial estate-- Its got a listed building status aswell.

Hms Bruce was the living quarters area of the Air Station -its all disappeared now and houses are built on that part.
    Yes it was a boys training school 1947 till about 1950 ish then used as a language school for coders --mainly Russian taught there.

In 1952 the Black Watch were billeted there

I think the MOD sold it to a local farmer about 1980 .

3. my time at hms bruce

Hi I WENT TO HMS BRUCE IN JUNE 1948 AGED 16 THE MOST VIVID MEMORY IS THE CHEIF GI CHEIF PETTY OFFICER HOSKINS OR KNOWN TO ALL THERE AS SPARROW AS WHEN HE STOOD TO ATTENTION THAT IS WHAT HE LOOKED LIKE HIS GATERS HIS CHEST STOOK OUT AND THE PEEK OF HIS CAP LIKE A BIRDS PEEK HE PUT THE FEAR OF GOOD INTO EVERY ONE IN FACT IF THEY TREATED PRISONERS NOW LIKE THEY TREATED US THERE WOULD BE AN OUTCRY OF COMPLAINTS BUT IT TURNED ME FROM A BOY TO A MAN AND TO PROVE IT I AM STILL RUNNING MY OWN MARKET STALL AT SCUNTHORPE MARKET TWO DAYS A WEEK MY 81 BIITHDAY IS A WEEK TOMOROW A LOT OF THIS IS THANKS TO THE DISAPLIN SPARROW DRILLED IN TO ME ALL THE BEST SHIP MATE WALLY

4. Good on yer Toby and happy birthday next week

• Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome to the site tobymush, what branch were you? and you do realise the post you've replied to was posted 7 years ago so you may not get a response.

6. the good old days

I joined as a boy seaman they were hard times some of the punishments if you jumped ship when they got you back which they always did you were taken to the quarter deck which was outside the guard room you had on a pair of white tropical trousers stretched over a volting horse and the master at arms gave you six strokes of the cane on your back side and you had to wear a yellow painted steel helmet for a period which the powers that be desided you were only allowed to take it of in bed this was also the punishment if you broke any think then the helmet was red the period was never less than a week i can honestly say I managed to avoid these punishments part good sense part fear