HMS Brocklesby joins NATO exercise in the Mediterranean

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Mar 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. ......around the Strait of Gibraltar.

<<...... designed to test a task group sent to keep sea lines of communication free in disputed waters.

The exercise is being run by Spanish forces >>

Mmmmm,

I am left wondering if those Spanish forces have considered a logical add-on to this exercise - to include disputed territory?

3. In the Tory led governments headlong dash to cut costs dumping the Gibraltar gravy train would be an excellent cost saving, it was obvious who they supported during the Falklands conflict and it was not us. Its strategic importance is an irrelevance as we won't have any Armed Forces left once this lot have finished with the axe.

4. Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Jeeeeeeez.....what the fcuk are you on about Finks?????

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

How little you know...

7. I have much to learn of the Navy ways, but I think I know enough to realise finknottle is the biggest drip on this forum!

8. Here we go again.....

9. I'll have you know that Finknottle is always held in awe and that he commands great respect - albeit only by those in the New Entries NAAFI queue and among those of his ilk who frequent the heads at his local RBL Club......

Edit to add: And you can quote me on that (try it :wink: :wink: )

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

10. Whereas you of course know much more.:)

My point is that if anything kicks off in the future we will be well and truly fecked. We will have no armed forces to speak of. Its time our leaders and New Labour were just as culpable stopped strutting around the world as though we were some major military might. They can talk the talk in a pathetic attempt to gain kudos with other countries leaders but logistically we will not be able to back it up.

11. sgtpepperband

Flunkbottle: Yes I do, actually. Having served there recently, I have a good understanding of The Rock's strategic importance to NATO, not necessarily limited to the UK. Other countries rely on our assets there - however small you may think they are - but I cannot divulge more without breaching OPSEC.

12. I had the misfortune of being based there for over two years and fully understand its strategic position, however that is not what I was saying. I used to enjoy the odd jar or two with the 2 Jossmen who were there during my tour, both of them were bon oeufs.

13. sgtpepperband

*Missing the point once again and taking a irrelevant tangent to suit his own agenda...* :sleepy2:

14. Cheese with your Whine Finks??

15. The point that you are attempting to make is what exactly?

As for the oblique angle just reminiscing, there’s a lot of that on here.

X.R.D yes please a nice roquefort with some oatcakes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  16. I see Spain holds a couple of bits of Morocco. Will they return them I wonder

Attached Files:

17. Several pieces of Spain in Africa.

[​IMG]

The story of the struggles between the Moors and Spanish is very long. Toledo was moorish for 350 years, Granada for almost 800. The places of North Africa are part of that struggle:

Ceuta (1415),

[​IMG]

Melilla (1497),

[​IMG]

Velez de la Gomera (1508)

[​IMG]

and Alhucemas (1560).

[​IMG]

In 1860, after a war with the Sultan of Morocco, Spain won Chafarinas.

[​IMG]

In addition, in 1860, was extended the territory of the rocks Ceuta and Melilla.

Since the early twentieth century there are two positions in Spanish diplomacy. The peninsulars, which wanted to leave the rocks and to transfer the influence over the Moors in the Rif to the arabs of the central Morocco. They had supporters as the general Primo de Rivera in the 20's, now held by the left and influential groups of the PSOE. Today is a important minority. The other is the Africanist, which had as its main supporter of General Franco in the 30's and 40's, maintained by the PP and the PSOE and now the majority. However, senior Spanish diplomats continue to defend the need for an agreement with Morocco.

As for Gibraltar, dont worry. Spain is an full ally of the United Kingdom and will remain so in the future. It was a pity that the naval cooperation between the two navies was broken in the 60's by the unfortunate incident of the frigates Leander, but the alliance is quite robust. The maneuvers were unequivocally directed towards the general instability in the Maghreb, particularly Morocco.

18. Bloodyhell. If we get rid of the Mediterranean Fleet what will be left for our two Sea Lords to Lord over?
    Several lady sailors face the Armada in Gib. What will happen to them?

19. Were you so to do-Immolation on a conejo paella would be your lot.

20. sgtpepperband

Bore off, helmet.