HMS Broadwater and WC Teagle.

Discussion in 'History' started by JamesH, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to research the loss of these two vessels. The Teagle was lost on 17 Oct 1941, the survivors being picked up by HMS Broadwater. Broadwater was herself lost on 19 October 1941, taking the survivors of the Teagle with her.

There was a suspicion that the Broadwater was out of position in the convoy (SC48) and had held back. I'm not sure how true this is, I assume the BoI would pick this point up.

Does anyone have access to the BoI's or any other information? I've done an extensive internet search so any other info would be appreciated.

2. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

The interweb suggests that one of the ten Teagle survivors was not lost with HMS Broadwater.
  3. Must have skimmed over that. My info came from the grandaughter of one of the Teagle's crew - I suppose her recollection may be mistaken. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Built in 1917, SS W C Teagle was a 9,552 GRT tanker operated by Standard Oil of New Jersey. According to 'The World's Merchant Fleets 1939' by Roger Jordan, she was torpedoed and sunk in posn 57N 25W by U-558 on 16 Oct 1941 while in Convoy SC48. 40 crew were lost including 9 of the ten survivors picked up by the destroyer HMS Broadwater when she was torpedoed by U-101 on 19 Oct so there was only one survivor all told.

History of HMS Broadwater on here and list of her casualties here.

The National Archives online catalogue shows these documents and they might have more if you contact them:

ADM 1/12013 - HM SHIPS - DAMAGE AND LOSS (31): Loss of HMS BROADWATER, torpedoed by enemy submarines: reports by Board of Inquiry, recommendation for awards

ADM 1/12013 - BOARDS OF INQUIRY AND DISCIPLINARY COURTS (29): Loss of HMS BROADWATER torpedoed by enemy submarine: report of Boards of Inquiry, recommendation for awards
  5. Hi James
    My late-Grandad was an AS on the Broadwater and was on it when it was torpedoed by U101. I have a copy of the full naval report into the sinking of HMS Broadwater dated 1941/42. Please contact me if you are still researching this ship.
  6. HMS Broadwater

My late father was an AS on the Broadwater and I would be very interested in looking over the report on it's sinking. Please get in-touch.

Kind Regards