Hms Bounty

Discussion in 'History' started by scouse, Oct 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if they managed to salvage the breadfruit plants..............staple diet for Rummers ancestors.
  2. Do the yanks have permission to go naming her HMS Bounty? Wouldn't that indicate that she belonged to Her Majesty?
  3. Almost as stupid as that historical documentary on TV a while ago calling Naseby, a Parliamentary ship during the Interregnum (after the English Civil War), HMS Naseby. Fools! I discard them.

Edited to get rid of idiotic spelling and grammar.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. Believe the Bounty believed to have sunk, could this be an opportune moment to rename it the Nonsuch
  5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

To be fair, most people now are 6/5 the height they were then. And 16/5 in the waist.
    • Like Like x 1

6. Hadnt realized the beam was that much wider, makes sense.
  7. Apparently, the dead sailor was Claudine Christian.............a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian
    the original mutineer.
  8. You need to get your history right, Marlon Brando was the mutineer, and don't argue it was in technicolour.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Aye they don't build em like they used to.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. I'd heard you were the powder monkey
  11. Please no crayoning in the History thread, you will incite the wrath of the unofficial moderators, and may plunge the forum into civil war. It is written.
  12. Ah! You may be able to help me clarify something. I'm no Naval historian but a few years ago tried to find out when 'HMS' started. I did loads of searching on tinterweb thingy and did ask on here but everyone was too pissed or something.

My conclusion, though far from verified, was that it came into use with the Restoration in 1660. Am I warm?
  13. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Was Bounty not "His Majesty's Armed Vessel" anyway, although I don't know whether the HMAV abbreviation was in use at that time?
  14. One would have to wonder about the decision making process there.Putting to sea in a fifty year old wooden ship, with a forecast like that. RIP to those lost.
  15. My experience exactly! I couldn't find out for sure, but I agree with your conclusion - the First Dutch War saw Parliament building a large fleet of dedicated fighting ships: previously a lot of hired merchant vessels were used in addition. I reckon when Charles II came back, that was the trigger to distinguish royal ships with the title His Majesty's Ship. Don't know when the abbreviation HMS came into use, though.
  16. The abbreviation HMS came into existence on th 14 th July 1645. According to the well known naval journalist of the day, mr Jago, who owned a mansion house in the fledgling Devonport dockyard. The HMS title didn't originally stand for Her/His Majesty's Ship, but stood for home made smokes, the original blue liners. As each sailor was given two stamps with an anchor and date emblazoned HMS, the title just morphed across to the ships of the line, the first recorded use was as stated 14 th July
    by Mr Jago