HMS Bigbury Bay

The crew pic. is already posted on page 1 of this thread.
I'll have a look and see what other pics. I have that may be of interest.
I thought it looked as if someone had stolen the I?C's horse !

Thanks for the queens colour photo, i am trying to find some of my old ones but most with my son in England, my mate doc Peacock, the SBA just wanted to be a chiripodist, not sure why, not a comedian. My diving mate tug wilson got plastered on his birthday and alongside in Hamilton was up the mast just with a towel round his waist singing calyso,s, from below and orrible site !! Also alongside at hamilton some idiot the night before one of those guards, bunged his rifle out of the port hole and i had to go down and find it, happy times.

Some good news and some bad about Captain G E Hunt. The good is that a book was published a year or so ago about his time in command of the submarine HMS Ultar entitled "Diving Stations", details of which can be found here: uboat.net - Naval Warfare Books - Diving stations by Peter Dornan Further details of the book and a photograph of Captain Hunt at the book's launch in Queensland, Australia, where he has lived in retirement, can be found here: A/Lt.Cdr. George Edward Hunt , DSO, DSC of the Royal Navy (RN) - Allied Warship Commanders of WWII - uboat.net The sad news is that he died at the end of last year, December 2011, aged 95.

Last edited:
Hello, I think my dad might have been on Bigbury Bay around this time, his name was Hugh Fyfe and he was a signalman. Sadly dad passed away 13/7/13, but he had many happy memories of the ship and spoke of them often.

hello there yes I WAS ABLE SEAMAN LEN STEVENS. USED TO BE CALLED STEVO ASDIC CREW WITH JIMMY JEWEL, BOB MACKETT HE WAS A SHIP BARBER.
IN CHARGE WAS JOE DUNFORD. ANT ONE OUT THERE.

Last edited:
I have just found a Crossing The Line Proclamation for my Dad. He was on HMS Bigbury Bay in 1950. I have tried to enclose his Proclamation of that event, but I am unable to upload a .jpeg on here at this time.. I have an old HMS Bigbury Bay Pennant also.

My father is Tony Cooke - Lt on Bigbury Bay in 1956-57. He went on to retire as a Rear Admiral and kept in touch with George Hunt until George's death in 2011 in Australia. He is in the Ship's Company picture.

Len Stevens, I remember you well. I was a Leading Scribes on the Bigbury Bay for that fabulous commission. I’ll attempt to upload a photo with you on the left with the Leading Steward, both of you holding fish that had just been hauled inboard after a hedgehog salvo had been fired. Good to hear of you again, though I note three years have passed since your contribution above. 83A64E77-B408-4CDB-871B-051645F77B3E.jpeg

My father is Tony Cooke - Lt on Bigbury Bay in 1956-57. He went on to retire as a Rear Admiral and kept in touch with George Hunt until George's death in 2011 in Australia. He is in the Ship's Company picture.
If I remember correctly, your father was the Navigation Officer. He’s sitting between S/Lt Ian Pearson and the Gunnery Officer (whose name I don’t remember) in the ship’s company photo.

hi, I am Jan Wickens, was the bugler on that trip. o/d -ab. bosuns mate/ Quarter master. great times.
Hi Jan,

Good to see your message. Your face came to mind immediately I read your name. I was the junior of the two scribes. I think you and I may have shared the same mess - port for’d, aft of the paint store. Sadly, there are not many of us left now. I’ve been in touch with several in recent years, including Peter Downs, our diver, who I feel certain you will remember, but I’m concerned that he hasn’t replied to emails I’ve sent during the last six months. I’m still in touch with Tony Stratta, who was the L/Wtr on SNOWI’s staff who joined us in Bermuda from C-in-C AWI’s staff. Do you remember him?

That was certainly a fine commission - the best in my career.

I hope you’ve learnt about and possibly obtained a copy of the excellent biography of Commodore Hunt, published within the last decade?

Richard (Dick) Eddy.

Hi Dick,

Thanks for replying, Peter Downs I remember well, having pumped air down to him for some considerable time. David Stevens was my Q/M. I have lost touch with everybody from that commission, Spent yesterday looking for old photos. but could only find two of the guards we did in Hamilton. They are so well stuck into an album that I think I'll lose them if I try to get them out!

Hi Dick,

Thanks for replying, Peter Downs I remember well, having pumped air down to him for some considerable time. David Stevens was my Q/M. I have lost touch with everybody from that commission, Spent yesterday looking for old photos. but could only find two of the guards we did in Hamilton. They are so well stuck into an album that I think I'll lose them if I try to get them out!
I have copies of those parade photos in Hamilton. I’m attaching two photos, the first is a snippet from the full ship’s company photo (that’s available elsewhere in the forum or through a Google search) in which I’ve drawn an arrow to the person I think is you. Am I correct? Do you remember the old WWII ‘Liberty’ tub in the background, whose cargo of US Army ‘K’ packs had shifted in a storm and been offloaded to dockyard warehouses while its insurance claim was being assessed? Everybody ‘rescued’ enough Pall Mall, Camel, Lucky Stripe etc cigarettes plus baked beans and spaghetti to last weeks, much to the chagrin of the NAAFI canteen manager! The other photo is of the judges of the fancy dress competition held on the quarterdeck the day (a Sunday, I think) before we arrived in Bermuda. In the foreground, l to r, are S/Lt Ian Pearson, Captain Hunt and POWtr Dennis Cooper. I’ve got other photos but unless anyone asks otherwise it’s probably better for me to send them by private message if you are interested rather than clutter up this thread. AF686A59-DADF-4BB2-B332-E813C24953A5.jpeg y AF686A59-DADF-4BB2-B332-E813C24953A5.jpeg 04508835-0388-4905-8E64-D9EB05BB06B7.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cheddar-caveman History 5
Jenny_Dabber History 38
Jenny_Dabber Bases / Shore Est 31