HMS Bellerophon 1960's Robert (Jack) Hawkins surgeon commander

Discussion in 'History' started by RONNIEWATKIN, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I'm new so please be gentle with me :notworthy:

I am trying to find out any information about my friends father.
    His name was Robert Stanley Power Hawkins nickname "Jack" no surprise there!
    He was a Surgeon Commander and had quite an interesting service record starting from 1940 through to 1960 where he died suddenly in his Naval quarters at HMS Bellerophon on January 23rd 1960.
    My friend doesn't know where (or even if) he is buried.
    Is there anyone on this forum who remembers him?

2. Try the Institute of Naval Medicine Alverstoke, they might have some info on him.

3. That's a great start - Thankyou

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

5. That was SO kind of you to root that out for me, another kind person Hans Houterman off the World War II unit histories & officers site gave me that in 2009 - in fact it's the only thing we have apart from some letters and photo's from him to his wife while he was in Korea and Malta. We can't even trace any info of his parents. Never mind, it's keeping me occupied - and thanks again, I really appreciate the effort

6. Surgeon Commander Hawkins is listed in the UK Medical Registers 1859-1959. He is listed in six entries dated 1939, 1943, 1947, 1951, 1955 and 1959. Each entry records his home address as 28, Victoria Avenue, Lenveshulme, Manchester.

A notice was published in the London Gazette 22nd March 1960 regarding Probate.

Link: Viewing Page 2184 of Issue 41990

I have a copy of the National Burial Indexes for England & Wales but sadly your Robert S P Hawkins does not appear in the listings.

Robert S Hawkins was born within the registration district of Prescot in 1912 (Eccleston). Mothers maiden name, Power.

Do you know which religion Robert S P Hawkins followed? Also, do you know whether the Hawkins family owned a family grave in either the Prescot area, or in Lenveshulme, Manchester?

SP.

7. WOW! I'm impressed.

Not sure whether Levenshulme was his parents address, I thought they lived in Salford.
    The probate is interesting, beneficiaries are his wife and wifes cousin.
    His mother was Mary Power and his dad Robert, they were Irish, one a protestant the other Catholic who escaped their parents wrath so therefore no 'family grave' to speak of, but it's possible they were buried in the area or in Ireland somewhere I suppose.
    Thanks sweetpea ;-)

8. I have the images from the Medical Register, if you would like them for your own notes please feel free to PM me your email address and I will forward them on to you.

I don't know whether you have this information already? Perhaps you have already sent away for a copy of the marriage certificate, if not, here are the details from the England Marriage Indexes.

Robert Hawkins married Mary Power Sept. Qtr 1911, Prescot, Vol 8b Page 1244.

SP.

9. Hi. I think I may have some info for you on mary hawkins (nee power). We have a Mary power who married Robert Hawkins. Mary was the sister of my grandfather Edward. In fact there were 8 siblings. The parents were Michael Power and Ellen Power (nee Mooney). You can find Mary on the 1901 census in Dunabrattin, Annestown (parish of kilmacthomas). There is a transcript error so you will need too search Michael and Ellin ( should read ellen). There is a strong possibility this is the same family as my grandad moved too salford after joining the navy. He married there in 1922. I know in grandads case,they moved too wythenshawe when they built that estate because of shortage of housing in salford. Hope this helps
    dawnx

10. Wow! thanks Dawn....this could be the info she needs...I will attempt to PM you.

11. OOPs Rinkydink..... I dont think you should have put yer email addy on here.... too many dungeon / cellar dwellers around

12. Looking too contact you ronniewatkins plz try email again.